Archived Calling out for funeral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is spots view on calling out for funerals? It's not a family member's funeral but it is a close friend's. Would I be better off just calling out sick or are they not going give me hassle for it just being a friend's funeral? I've only called out twice in the past year but both of them were for valid reasons.

I would just call out.
You don't have to really give a reason, just that you don't feel well.
It would be easier then getting into the whole funeral thing.
I know most people would be more then willing to let you go and wouldn't cause a problem but ...
There are ETLs who are going to be dicks no matter what and there are people who aren't going to be happy that you didn't try to find someone to cover the shift.
In Jewish tradition the funeral has to be within three days of the death so often there is no time to fill gaps so I understand.

Out of respect for the LOD having to deal with your potential call out, put the shift on your swap shift board and see if another TM will take it. Ask around to try and get it filled. Let your ETL-HR know that you're putting it on the board and inform him/her of the situation. I honestly can't think of a single ETL-HR that would deny you the time off if the shift wasn't taken.

as part of my benefit package, I can receive funeral pay.

It actually depends on a few factors. The relationship to the deceased, the distance you must travel to the funeral, whether you are full or part time.

Please read your benefit info that comes in the mail, is on Ehr, and call TMSC/HROC at 1.800.394.1885 or HLCG at 1.800.828.5850 if you have any questions.

Yes, many of the etl's are new - may not know.

oh, and don't take the advice of your co-worker; they might be well-meaning, but they sometimes have some pretty interesting interpretations of how these benefits work.

A funeral for a non-family member is considered a call out.

If it was a blood relative, you can get bereavement leave for missed shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back