Archived Calling out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever called out due to weather circumstances, like not being able to get out of your driveway, street, neighborhood, and/or house??? If so, what did you say and what was the reaction you received? Also, at what time did you call?

I called out a couple of weeks ago because of our icy conditions in the south (we don't have snow tires or chains, & the local government couldn't keep the roads clear). They said "OK stay safe." That was all the response I got from it. The store was "open and all team members should report to work as scheduled"

we open and still open as of right now. about 80% called out and still open. macys jc penny closed and target still open.

The response from leadership isn't particular comforting. They say "ok well take care" in such a snobby way that make you not even wanna call out again for whatever reason that may be important.

It doesn't matter the reason, and you don't have to give one.

If you call in, it's an absence.
Why makes no difference.

And I live where there is always snow in the winter including power outages. We've always been open. Always.

Could Spot be held liable if a TM gets in an accident on the way to work, because they "required" you to be there despite the dangerous road conditions and despite warnings to stay off the roads?

We had a big snow fall a couple years back, it was close to 85% of the opening team called in (including me). I only call out maybe one or two days a year so I didn't worry about my attendance. But a couple days later, my ETL HR was saying they are not holding that day against anyone. Meaning for corrective action for attendance, It still shows up on a report but they are not going to use that day, because it was weather related, to further any corrective action that anyone is on or use it to put someone on CA.

With the way schools shut down for snow days, a lot of parents don't have child care options so they have to stay home because their kids are home.

I read about a woman who was fired from Whole Foods for that very reason.
It's not like they would have let her bring her kid to work.

We seldom get the snow you folks do but we get wicked ice & there are several overpasses & bridges between me & the store.
During the last ice, I made it to the store only because I started early, drove slow & there were only a few others on the road.

Has anyone ever called out due to weather circumstances, like not being able to get out of your driveway, street, neighborhood, and/or house??? If so, what did you say and what was the reaction you received? Also, at what time did you call?

Haven't had the need to do so at Spot, but when I lived in upstate NY and worked for Staples I called in and told the GM that I wouldn't be there for a couple of days because I couldn't get off of my hill. One of my co-workers did the same thing because she lived further up the road from me.

I just recently called to say I was gonna be late cause I literally couldn't move out of my driveway and had to shovel my way out. I ended up being an hour late. The etl I talked to was super nice, no worries, show up when you can and didn't pressure me to rush in. And when I came in she was happy to see me. So I'm assuming it all went well.

On most of the bad weather days the store is so slow that they are happy to save the payroll. Unless you are on the ETLs shit list they are usually glad to have you stay home. However, if you are on their bad side they will use it to try and coach you.

With the way schools shut down for snow days, a lot of parents don't have child care options so they have to stay home because their kids are home.

She was not fired for that one day. She had to have built up a stack of unexcused absences in 6 months to get fired.

From this link

Broschat, who said she had been at her point limit before the snow day, said the Midwest is the only region of Whole Foods to use the "point system."

:/

From this link

Broschat, who said she had been at her point limit before the snow day, said the Midwest is the only region of Whole Foods to use the "point system."

They can say she wasn't fired for that one time out but the fact is they didn't have to count it.
It is up to the employer to look at extenuating circumstances.
She had a valid reason.

I was shocked my store was open yesterday. I had to call out. I stepped out of my door and had snow up past my knees. They didn't even get around to plowing my street yesterday until 2:00 pm. By the time we shoveled out of our house, down the sidewalk, and got our cars cleared it was starting to snow again and get dark. The way I see it, Target is out of their damn mind if they think I'm going to orphan my children and put the lives of first responders on the line so they can sell...what exactly were they selling yesterday and who were they selling it to?! I really question the sanity of anyone who was out on the roads in my area yesterday who didn't have to be on the roads as an emergency responder or someone in need of emergency assistance. It's socially unacceptable that we, as individuals, and we as a corporation, are okay with risking lives for no damn good reason.

I had to call out once because of a blizzard last winter. Literally snowed into my house and I live in an area filled with relatively steep hills. The LOD knew what area of town I lived in and her response was just "I figured you couldn't come in today, stay safe."

Remember where headquarters is at, unless the store is underwater or the roof collapses in, the stores will be open. I would be shocked to see a store close, even if snow is covering the neon lights outside.

From this link

They can say she wasn't fired for that one time out but the fact is they didn't have to count it.
It is up to the employer to look at extenuating circumstances.
She had a valid reason.

It was her 6th unexcused absence in less than 6 months. Just how much should an employer continue to put up with? I suspect every time she called out, she had some grand excuse that would make it a "valid reason." Even in my "professional job" days, where we had actual sick/personal days, that wouldn't have been tolerated.

Called out due to really bad weather ( half the store team members called out as well ) and was written up for calling out. Not sure if the other team members got written up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back