Archived Cart Attendant Questions and a Call Off Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
What's the most amount of carts you ever loaded onto the cart pusher? I'm told not to put more than 25. It can handle way more than that, our trainer has come in with way over 25 as it is. I did it tonight when I got called in because he had to cover food ave due to a call off. I would estimate I had as many as around 45 on it today today and it worked with ease. 1.) What's the most you put on it when LOD's aren't looking? 2.) Have you ever had the cart pusher fail/break down from loading too many carts?

Second part is about call offs. Isn't there a limit on how many call offs you can have? I can't get a day off hardly because we have like 8 to 10 people who call off constantly on the front end. How are they still working there? I've called off twice since I started in November of last year because I really was sick. I muscle through it when and where I can. But 3 - 4 times in a month? I'm sorry, you aren't sick that often unless you have full blown aids. Today's work force is pathetic. Just don't understand how you can still have a job when you come in 10 minutes late every day and call off once a week. I am always there at least 10 - 15 minutes early so I can actually be on time. I constantly hear team leads saying good help is hard to find. I can see this......

I know they can handle 60 carts at once, not sure how many more.

I wouldn't go that extreme, but it has the power to do way more than 25 I know. That is such a retarded rule. I guess they just put that rule in to make you have a controllable amount of carts in case you have to stop. That is my guess.

Does your store have those new all plastic carts? I think there supposed to up the limit when stores get the new carts.

Carts: One of our former cart attendants was able to push an entire cartwell row's worth of carts with the Quickart. I'm not sure how many that is (I never counted), but our cartwell is very deep if that tells you anything. Though one of our cart attendants nowadays has a tendency to tattle on anyone who exceeds 25 (or 7 by hand).

Call-offs: Sounds like your GSTL needs to do some coachings and/or corrective actions.

Our store is on a hill. Doing 25 Causes it stress and its a new one too. If you do to many It will shut off on you. Also doing so will shorten said quick karts life.

Also we have the old ones like in my avatar.

Dont misuse your equipment.. or the SFT will have your ass. :angry:

Last edited:
We have the new plastic carts. No metal. Mr. Knownothing, I've been uttering that since I started. I don't understand it.

If I recall correctly, the manual says not to do more then 25 at once. If you do they reserve the right to void the warranty.

As I was told, Target replaced the old metal with plastic because the plastic would not cause damage to vehicles.
If I recall correctly, the manual says not to do more then 25 at once. If you do they reserve the right to void the warranty.

As we talked before. You can see that my store is slow as hell doing stuff lmao.

With the old ones, the most I've ever put on was like 70 during a closing shift (nvr in the day), but I always put around 25 now just bcus our cart pushers at our store are getting old, I don't want to risk breaking it and the more you put on, the faster you drain the poor batteries.

Between the old and the new plastic ones, I definitely prefer the old ones. I was shopping with the new ones at a different store and they are much smaller in my opinion, I even talked to some guests and they say they like the old ones better.

My store can hardly give a crap about call-offs, although we do have a lot of people who are cross-trained. I guess your store just needs to do the same, I think workers like you who come in early deserve much more credit, my co-workers never arrive early and some EVEN leave early but you gotta understand, most people I work with have 2 jobs so its an excuse that 1) They can't always make it on time but 2) better come in late then to not show up at all. Target has like a 2-hour rule that says you gotta let them know 2 hours before your shift if you can't make it. If you dont even show up at all, then that's a huge mistake.

My guess is if you know some1 is lazy, then they wont show up at all. Now for the others who don't show up on time, they might have a better story.

No way, Jose! The old metal carts are actually smaller and aren't as deep as the new plastic ones. Also, the plastic ones fit together easier, and steer so much better.

We're also on a hill, so we have to adhere to the 25 limit rule.

At my old store, we had the plastic carts. I could easily come down the main aisle of the lot with 50+ carts and go straight inside with ease.

At one store, I usually went straight down one parking lot aisle, and came back another aisle & back into the store. About 40 carts in all. Then at closings, I have used to do one long line of about 60-70 for all the last hour carts and push them to the side of the building. And the pusher did fine.

But yes...back in 2005 or so. Corp sent out policy that stated CAs could not put no more than 25 carts on the pusher for safety and mechanical reasons.

The stand behind pushers have been the most realiable machines while the seated pushers are the worst.

I've done metal and plastic carts. At my old store, we had metal carts and I never really went over the limit. Probably 30 was my max. No more than 35 at the very most. It mainly depended on if I made the turn to go straight into the building yet or not. At the store I work now, we have the plastic carts and I can't stand using the cart pusher with them.

Maybe it's just me, but with the cart pusher, it's much easier to use with the metal carts and keep control no matter how many carts you have. With the plastic carts, sure you can tie that rope on them, but they slide everywhere. And god forbid you have to make a turn with them. It probably helps I'm at a lower volume store, but I just push the plastic carts by hand. Less hassle that way. I think most I did by hand was give or take 15, although I tend not to go that high too often. Not that I can't handle it, but more so for the traffic around.

Well seeing as I am no longer employed with target I can safely say the most was about 45-50.

When I did carts, I usually put on between 30 and 40. Max I did was probably 60. It often takes a lot of time to fire someone, they can be in the process of firing long before you think they are depending on your dtl.

Back with the old sit down style cart pusher I think the most I ever put on it was 80-90 sadly the remote only had a range of ~50 carts, so could only do that many with one person driving and one person steering on those rare double closing CA nights.

Normal closing shift I would go about 20-40 on a trip. If it was the end of the night and I had to put ~200 carts back onto the side of the building then it was how ever many were in each row, average trip of 40-60 then.

Pushing the old metal frame carts was easy because they were easier to steer & had enough heft to stay put when you turned the wheels across. The problem with the new ones is that the front wheels rise up when you stack them, making them unstable & impossible to steer (hence, the rope); they also slide off on a downhill incline (like our lot).
Plastic or metal, just because you CAN load more on doesn't mean you SHOULD. A few yrs back, several of our CAs burned out the batteries overloading the pusher & it was 2 MONTHS before we got new batteries (takes 2).
The delinquents responsible had already self-termed by then but it was NOT a fun summer.

The most I ever did was 30. Anytime I tried to add more, the machine would stop moving until I removed some so I'm guessing my pusher is old.

If it was like 15 minutes to close and I had the parking lot looking like this

22143544640430206664766.jpg

Id probably throw like 40 on there real quick just to get it over with lol.

I expect to see that from walmart (I have a lot of times at my store) but not target.

I expect to see that from walmart (I have a lot of times at my store) but not target.
Parking lot at my Target it horrible. Carts everywhere, and some are even put on their side idk why and especially by the areas where carts lock up, you would always see atleast 5.

Looks like the exit at my store. In the lot, the carts are just scattered everywhere.

The worst part is, if you can see it, is the family-cart in the corral which really screws things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back