Archived Cartwheel Burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to love Cartwheel. It was like a game seeing how much I could save. Seeing to total saved was fun, but over the last month or so I just can't get into it anymore. Having to stop someplace in the store to scan stuff in my cart to see if it's on Cartwheel just got old. Maybe I'll get back into but who knows.

I think it's an awkward addition to shopping at Target and obviously not all our guests even understand they need it for certain things. Anyone else kinda done with Cartwheel?

I dont love having to keep training guest on it but all in all cartwheel is great.

As an team member you can get the print out on workbench of everything on cartwheel for that week. No scanning necessary. You simply add the items you are interested in to your list.

If you have a good signing tm its clear whats on cartwheel.

Cartwheel is the least of my annoyances

I get the Target burnout and I sympathize with guests who complain it is too time consuming or complicated. I still explain it and suggest that they download the app (and not delete it) because Target highlights some of the better deals with the gray signs and the cartwheel logo on top indicating app only savings. This way even if you don't want to scan all your items to see if there is a deal they still will have access to some of the biggies. I also let them know that many of the cashiers know the big deals and can let you know if there is anything major you missed. That way you won't end up either missing a deal or standing in line when you look at your receipt and didn't get that 20% of bed and bath like you thought they were getting. I let them know that I can only scan mine 6 times a day and some cashiers don't have phones with the app available so again the easiest thing to do is to download the app so its there when they want'/need it.

Ive had cartwheel since 2013. I love it. While I may save only .05 some days, its gotten better over the years. The more you use it the more offers you get. Ive saved $200 just using it all the time since I started working at Target. I felt the same way about the red card but now i see how much money ive saved. Totally worth in my household.

No badges this holiday season too. I think I got 2 or 3 last season.

I hear ya.. I was constantly scanning scanning collecting badges etc now it's like eh.. My friend say why aren't you using cartwheel and I'm like eh.. tbh I kinda find it time consuming I know it saves money but I'd rather grab my essentials and go home. It's the same way with Yelp ( totally different subject) I used to be apart of the Yelp team but again it became to time consuming I used to love writing reviews but enjoy my dinner and not have to think about it. Maybe one day I'll get back into cartwheel who knows :/

I just scan each item as I put it into my cart. It helps that my shopping list is also on my phone, so I already have my phone in my hand and just switch between those two apps.

I don't really pay attention to the badges because I don't run out of spaces anymore.

I used to be totally on board with Cartwheel when it first came out. I used it, I would love educating guests about it, and guests themselves were excited about it as well. But as the app has matured, I feel totally the opposite now. Once we started posting signs advertising Cartwheel, that's when I think the biggest problems began. I have to help SOOO many guests whom buy merchandise, thinking it was 20% off, only to have to explain to them that it's when you use an app. Having them step out of line so they can download it, log-in, and then add the deals, and then step in line to fix such a minor thing is a huge waste of time.

Also, I fix so many issues for guests that DO have the app, but forget to tap "add" to add it to their list. I've said this before but, what on earth is the point of that? If it's there, what's with the extra steps? If it's there, then the item is on sale!!! Cartwheel should work so that, if a deal is there, then you get it on sale. Period. ALL the deals are added to your barcode. That way, instead of Cartwheel being a game, you can just shop from it like a shopping list, which eliminates that room for error. It's such an old fashioned business tactic, to make a game out of shopping. It's like grocery stores that do those bullshit "stamp" programs so you can get free cookware. Take the costs for the bullshit games, and just make shit on sale please.

This past holiday season was the worst for cartwheel and it's what made me completely change my mind about it. I swear that nearly every other guest at GS was there to fix mistakes with cartwheel. So now you have dissatisfied guests frustrated with the app, and frustrated guests whom had a longer wait in line. Yeah great, that sounds totally effective towards sales.

Cartwheel should work so that, if a deal is there, then you get it on sale. Period. ALL the deals are added to your barcode.

This is how it works with grocery store cards (at least in my area). You can download extra coupons if you want but if chicken is on sale for $.99/lb, then my loyalty card will automatically reflect that sale price when it is scanned at the register. Alot of the grocery store signage also has QRC codes you scan directly to the app (if you use that instead of the card) which is still easier than hunting for the actual offer ala the Cartwheel menu.

This is how it works with grocery store cards (at least in my area). You can download extra coupons if you want but if chicken is on sale for $.99/lb, then my loyalty card will automatically reflect that sale price when it is scanned at the register. Alot of the grocery store signage also has QRC codes you scan directly to the app (if you use that instead of the card) which is still easier than hunting for the actual offer ala the Cartwheel menu.

Omg, if they made the Red cards like grocery store cards wouldn't that be amazing!? Get all the deals and save 5%!! They would sell themselves!!

Get on this Target!! :)

Omg, if they made the Red cards like grocery store cards wouldn't that be amazing!? Get all the deals and save 5%!! They would sell themselves!!

Get on this Target!! :)
Meijer (Midwest retailer similar to Spot/Wal-fart) has MPerks. Shop there sometimes and love their program. So easy to use and often better deals. You got to think Spot HQ looks at other retailers programs, maybe not.

I've had cartwheel for a while now. I usually only check electronics- being a electronics tm & only really buying electronics from target. Saved $3k, but majority of it was for guests (even though it's not allowed i know)

You pretty much just described how cartwheel currently works. You get the sale prices automatically (don't even need cartwheel for that) and if you want the extra discounts you can add them one at a time.

I use it every day. Breakfast is whatever yogurt I eat is cheapest. The bread we buy is usually on there. Same with pb&j and meat.

I've never worried about the badges. But the extra adds up. And the half off or thirty percent on top of sale prices is great.

I guess I was talking about the big advertised discounts like the 20% on all bedding and bath that is currently running. It is highly advertised, tons of signage everywhere but if you don't actually add the discount to Cartwheel, you are out of luck. I've had tons of guests come up to GS and ask why they didn't get the 20% when they already have Cartwheel. Things like that should automatically load if you have the app.

Cartwheel can be a lot of work. Some guests like the game, some would rather not hunt and peck.

I guess I was talking about the big advertised discounts like the 20% on all bedding and bath that is currently running. It is highly advertised, tons of signage everywhere but if you don't actually add the discount to Cartwheel, you are out of luck. I've had tons of guests come up to GS and ask why they didn't get the 20% when they already have Cartwheel. Things like that should automatically load if you have the app.

Cartwheel can be a lot of work. Some guests like the game, some would rather not hunt and peck.
I actually preload stuff we may buy at some point the same day on Sunday after it updates since we have so many slots.

I've got over $3,000 on my Cartwheel, mostly letting guests use it for 10% off of TV's, but this past Christmas was horrid, with the issues about it not working for Otter Boxes, and stuff being advertised (20% off of all towels on Cartwheel) and guests think it's off the regular price and I have to get a Target Team Member involved (Mobile is never allowed to change a price.) I feel the same way, i'm burned out on it

I like it but then again I haven't been using it for long. It's really exciting to me when I scan something in my cart and something comes up even if it's a measly 5% off lol. It says I've saved $60 but I think about $30 of that was for guests

I have to agree with the issues with Cartwheel signing. I've mentioned it constantly to our team at huddle that as Sales Floor TMs you have just as much a responsibility to educate the guest on cartwheel that we do at the checklanes. All the guest sees is the 20% off, they don't see Cartwheel. I too wish the offers can just get added automatically. It's a pain when I have to use my own cartwheel to give a guest the discount because it takes too long to go through the entire process and you end up holding up the line. Personally, I love it because I always shop based on what is on cartwheel and I end up saving quite a lot in my own right.

To me, Cartwheel was a great idea but with Target's existing infrastructure I think it was the wrong product.

In my opinion why not make Target's Red card program the Cartwheel or loyalty card. If guest gets such and such items and the guest uses the Target Red Card, then they get the extra discount on top of the 5%. No need for loading Cartwheel items on an item. Its automatic.

Last edited:
To me, Cartwheel was a great idea but with Target's existing infrastructure I think it was the wrong product.

In my opinion why not make Target's store card program the Cartwheel or loyalty card. If guest gets such and such items and the guest uses the Target Card, then they get the extra discount on top of the 5%. No need for loading Cartwheel items on an item. Its automatic.

Or Red Card only Sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back