Archived Cashier training tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffekat

i hate my username
Hello all! I finally got my orientation date for next week and I'm beyond nervous. I'm suppose to train for cashier and possibly have a couple Food Avenue shifts every once in a while. I'm more nervous about the cashier training though. Reading posts on here, it seems like everyone despises the cashier position and I'm getting nervous. Is it really that hard to train for? I don't have a lot of experience being cashier, I worked for a shoe store at my last job so it was mostly sales and I did check people out a lot but our machine was very generic. Not involved as targets machines! So please, any tips would be nice and some reassurance to ease my mind that I didn't make the wrong decision applying for cashier! And if I end up hating up, would my manager let me switch to hardlines or something on the floor? And what should I expect for orientation? Sorry I don't know much of anything right now! Thanks guys!!

just breath. you should be getting a training book to use on a register and practice without having any guests, after that you will be paired with another cashier to "shadow" and than you will get some time on register and the other trainer should be close by to answer question or help you if you get "stuck" good luck.

just breath. you should be getting a training book to use on a register and practice without having any guests, after that you will be paired with another cashier to "shadow" and than you will get some time on register and the other trainer should be close by to answer question or help you if you get "stuck" good luck.
Thanks! :)

When I did cashier training, they just threw me on a lane. I never did the practice with the book. I never did figure out why they did that to me, lol.
Oh man.. Let's hope my store doesn't do that to me.. Lol

When you start, keep it slow & steady at first - focus on accuracy over speed.
Repetition builds familiarity which builds confidence.
Gradually your speed will pick up but don't push it.
Rushing causes more mistakes & fixing them slows you down even more.

When you start, keep it slow & steady at first - focus on accuracy over speed.
Repetition builds familiarity which builds confidence.
Gradually your speed will pick up but don't push it.
Rushing causes more mistakes & fixing them slows you down even more.
That's great advice that I'll have to take you up on! Thanks :)

The most basic rules are:

1. Ask everything guest about the Red Card. Repeat or go into detail about the benefits if its a high dollar purchase.

2. Ignore the speed score. Concentrate on accuracy.

3. Prompt guest for payment as you start scanning.

4. Save hangers till after payment.

Not necessarily. My store does 30 min. with a trainer and then you're on a lane, solo. No training manual and no shadowing. As long as your name tag states you're a new employee, just about all guests are chill.

An oldie but a goodie: If the guests haven't picked up their bags, walk around & put them in the basket.
1) It allows you to see underneath the kiddie seat & the bottom rack to make sure you didn't miss something. If you did, just pull it out & tell the guest "Oops! Looks like I didn't ring this up." as you scan it. Sometimes they may say "Oh, never mind. I don't want it." so toss it in the go-backs.
2) It gives you a chance to flex your legs after standing in one spot.
3) It eliminates paid & left (guests DO go off & leave their stuff behind).
4) Good guest service touch.

i just did mine today, did well overall, except asking how are you this morning when it was 2 o clock in the afternoon -_-
had good trainers, basically the entire front end helped out.

What I learned most was just do the same thing as the salesfloor, be nice (aka pretend you dont hate them and everything they stand for)

idk about your store but we just started the card chip reader thing today (on my training day :/ ) so i had to learn that part in a hurry :eek:

The most basic rules are:

1. Ask everything guest about the Red Card. Repeat or go into detail about the benefits if its a high dollar purchase.

2. Ignore the speed score. Concentrate on accuracy.

3. Prompt guest for payment as you start scanning.

4. Save hangers till after payment.
Awesome advice.. Thanks!!

An oldie but a goodie: If the guests haven't picked up their bags, walk around & put them in the basket.
1) It allows you to see underneath the kiddie seat & the bottom rack to make sure you didn't miss something. If you did, just pull it out & tell the guest "Oops! Looks like I didn't ring this up." as you scan it. Sometimes they may say "Oh, never mind. I don't want it." so toss it in the go-backs.
2) It gives you a chance to flex your legs after standing in one spot.
3) It eliminates paid & left (guests DO go off & leave their stuff behind).
4) Good guest service touch.
Good advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back