Archived Cashiering and Electronics questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started working at Target a couple of weeks ago. Actually, this is my third week at Target, but my second week working. The people in charge of scheduling forgot to give me any hours last week.
I am supposed to work in the electronics department but all I have been doing is cashiering. I have my first electronics shift, it's training though and I have a few questions.
What is the training in the electronics department like?

I was also given a packet (checklist) of training sessions that I am supposed to accomplish before my first month. The problem is that I have completely forgotten about the packet so I haven't checked off any of the cashier training or anything. Should I worry about this? Does anyone even check it out?
The only things I have checked off are the alcohol quiz and electronics champion quiz. I completed both on my orientation date.
This is my first job so I'm kind of confused.

And last question, yesterday one of my coworkers introduced herself to me and asked me if I have completed any RedCards. I told her that I hadn't and she said "if you want to keep your job you better get some RedCards." She said this kind of jokingly but I'm wondering if this is true. Do they honestly check everyone's RedCard ration/score?

A couple minutes after she told me that, this lady walked into my lane and asked if she could apply for a RedCard. The coworker that informed me about the RedCard helped me process the app. Is having only one RedCard processed during two weeks of work bad? (35-45 hours)

I just started working at Target a couple of weeks ago. Actually, this is my third week at Target, but my second week working. The people in charge of scheduling forgot to give me any hours last week.
I am supposed to work in the electronics department but all I have been doing is cashiering. I have my first electronics shift, it's training though and I have a few questions.

I was also given a packet (checklist) of training sessions that I am supposed to accomplish before my first month. The problem is that I have completely forgotten about the packet so I haven't checked off any of the cashier training or anything. Should I worry about this? Does anyone even check it out?
The only things I have checked off are the alcohol quiz and electronics champion quiz. I completed both on my orientation date.

And last question, yesterday one of my coworkers introduced herself to me and asked me if I have completed any RedCards. I told her that I hadn't and she said "if you want to keep your job you better get some RedCards." She said this kind of jokingly but I'm wondering if this is true. Do they honestly check everyone's RedCard ration/score?

A couple minutes after she told me that, this lady walked into my lane and asked if she could apply for a RedCard. The coworker that informed me about the RedCard helped me process the app. Is having only one RedCard processed during two weeks of work bad? (35-45 hours)

smile, do the redcard thing. ask your gstl for help, if needed. they can help out at all times, just ask. theyre very patient with new tm's & guests. also, ask your trainer too for help too. see other threads for electronics, below.

Last edited:

Having never dabbled in electronics, I can't really say a whole lot. However, the impression that I have gotten is that there is a lot to learn. The reason why they've only had you cashiering is because they want you to be comfortable with servicing guests (i.e. cashing) before they throw electronics at you - it's a combination of cashiering (ringing up the sale), sales floor (you gotta know where the products are located and make them look pretty), backroom (because you'll need to pull TVs and whatnot from the backroom for guests), and most importantly, SALESMANSHIP (knowing the product and convincing the guest that they should buy it).

That packet is your learning plan. You don't have to check off anything, your trainer will do that as you complete each part. The only thing you have to do is sign it when you've completed your training.

RedCards. Leadership wants you to get them, but they won't yell at you for not getting very many conversions as long as you make an honest effort. More often than not, people just don't want to open another credit card, or they don't have their checkbook for the check card app. However, RedCards and extended service plans are a big deal in electronics (where a lot is at stake). By knowing your products and being able to effectively pitch them, you'll develop salesmanship skills, which you can apply to RedCards and ESPs as well. Note: because electronics items are much more expensive than the rest of the store, guests will be more likely to open RedCards at electronics because they'd save a lot more with that 5% when buying an Xbox than they would buying a week's worth of groceries at the lanes.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Target and the best of luck to you in your new job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back