Archived Changing jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just hired as a food avenue employee..and I was wondering how long you have to work for target before you can change jobs. Just curious.

90 days, unless your HR decides otherwise.

But since you were hired as food avenue, you're pretty much stuck there, especially at my store. It is the black hole from which you cannot escape from.

In my store, food ave tms are also scheduled as CA, gs and cashier. Havent seen sales tm on food ave or front lanes though.

This 90 day thing is killing me. I swear, the day that is up, I will be beating down my ETL's door to do some cross training.

I applied to target to get away from food service, and then they used my food service as an excuse to put me in food avenue even though I didn't apply for that position AT ALL. A job is a job...but I realllllllllllllly don't want to be in the hot and stuffy area known as Food Ave.

Definitely try to get away from Food Ave. At my store, FoodAve was a blackhole. If they knew you do a good job, they would keep you over there to keep it up to code. It took 2 years of me nagging until I got finally cross-trained for the hardlines.

Last edited:
The biggest thing at my store is try and get cross trained. If you show that you excel in other areas as well they may be willing to switch you areas eventually. But the food service area would have to be staffed enough. I suggest that after you learn Food Ave well express interest I other areas. My store has had people move to electronics, sales floor, and GSA from Food Ave.

In my store, food ave tms are also scheduled as CA, gs and cashier. Havent seen sales tm on food ave or front lanes though.

I've never gotten food ave. I do occasionally get a cashier shift, though. Like, once every 2 or 3 weeks. Though I'm usually scheduled to be on a register at the same time 2 others are scheduled to be on. So I always get pulled off an hour or two into my shift and told to help do reshop for the rest of the day. I don't mind it too much. Cashiering is kind of boring to me. Despite the constant arguing between myself and numerous guests over coupon policy and such things.

I like food ave for the hours they get at my store. 35+ every week. So it's nice to do some cart attendant and food ave and keep my hours at 38.

I started as cashier, they cross trained me for guest service, started to cross train me in electronics, but for some reason they never followed through on that one. Now I either cashier, do carts, or work Guest Service. I noticed they are loading me up on carts lately. One of our main cart attendants has been getting into trouble because he's not staying on top of things, but I feel for him. He has to cover everyone's breaks, how the hell is he supposed to get carts and garbage done when he's always stuck covering everybody else's breaks?

I applied to target to get away from food service, and then they used my food service as an excuse to put me in food avenue even though I didn't apply for that position AT ALL. A job is a job...but I realllllllllllllly don't want to be in the hot and stuffy area known as Food Ave.
Does your store have a Starbucks? If so, asked if you can be cross-trained there for a change of pace.
The only way you might leverage getting out from behind the counter, tho, is if you aren't getting enough hrs. The swap board would then be a good start so you can showcase your other skills.

I transferred stores once as a team member and told them I had FA experience. I struggled trying to get out of FA for 9 months before I finally convinced them to send me to TL interviews. It required constant pleas to my HR, and being the top performer for various TL/ETLs at least 5 or 6 times before I got out.

If they know you have that kind of experience that is where they will put you. Very few like it so it is hard to get out since there is no one to replace you. Try to cross train for Starbucks and cashiering. Good luck

Sorry to bring this post back up but I just wanted to say some of my fa coworkers were cross trained before 90 days. One of them picks up cashier shifts and the other does cashier & market. After being on a register for about 15 minutes I decided it wasn't for me and that I'd like to stay in food ave. Well, about 2 weeks ago I got pushed to train over in p-fresh. my fatl really wanted me to cross train and thought it was a good idea because I know all about food safety/sanitation. Unlike most people, I do really enjoy food ave. I like the rush and the area and I like how if I get bored of one task I can go do another. Just wish I could get more than 25 hours in fa because pfresh is too slow for me. And training back there sucks.

I went from being a FA TM to being a PA, so it's definitely not a black hole at my store. We had another TM move to electronics from FA and other be crosstrained in Market. Like all areas, it depends on your leadership and how serious they are about personal development. At my store, I would say that flow is more of a black hole; only a few TM's make the jump to dayside even though a lot more have expressed interest.

Food Ave is generally a black hole at my store too. Some of them also get cashiering shifts, but almost all of them ONLY do FA.

If you are a FATM, you will probably be scheduled as cashier as well. Possibly Guest Service after your 90 days.I would highly recommend cross training in another area after your 90 days. I worked Food Ave for 7 years. And depending on your store and your Food Ave, you can possibly be stuck there like its a Black Hole.My former store initially made it a requirement for new cashiers to learn Food Ave for about a year. Then when leadership changed they either put all their problematic/lackluster TMs there causing all the experienced FATMs to pick up their slack. I could have gone to the Health Dept and had the place shutdown if they found out what some the TMs were doing...actually not doing.Then they wouldn't let the experienced FATMs to work other areas. It took me 3 years of prompting my ETL-HR and STL before they started scheduling me on Salesfloor. Their excuse was "...We need you to work Food Ave because no one else is willing to work there and it has a high turnover."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back