Archived Cheating Baffles? BRLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logisticsiskey

Backroom/Instocks TL
Hi everyone

New member here long time reader. I have a question maybe someone has experience with. I'm trying to find out it there is a way to cheat your scores more specifically baffle %. I have been checking my Backroom scores and I always compare them to our district to see where I place. Lately here there has been a couple store with low baffles like <10. I'm curious if anyone has ever cheated the system to get that number low. I just can't think of a way to prevent baffles other than utilizing detail audits and having amazing TMs that are 100% accurate but that seems improbable.

Any ideas or suggestions.

And I want to point out this isn't for me to use my team maintains a green BR.

Backroom usually cheats baffles by exiting the batch and updating the location (LOCU) of the baffle and reentering the batch instead of using M-Delete. This method doesn't log a baffle but it does take a bit longer.

That is what I do when I want to fix a Ghost or Baffle immediately. You can fix it and move on. However, it is not practical if we do not know what is the cause of the error. For example, someone not backstocking correctly, entering wrong number or SUBTing improperly, etc. By M-Deleting (incessantly is burning), it tells us where the errors are at. That is also what the audit corrects (if I'm correct). However, M-Deleting can affect the BL percentage.

Updating affects only the backroom, but not the salesfloor.

If you update immediately, I would recommend recording the location and check the backroom detail report beforehand. Pass it on to the BR TL, Logistics ETL so they can communicate with the other backroom team.

Backroom usually cheats baffles by exiting the batch and updating the location (LOCU) of the baffle and reentering the batch instead of using M-Delete. This method doesn't log a baffle but it does take a bit longer.
First, it has been a number of years since I was backroom, but have pulled off and on in the years since. Was the system updated to ask you how many of an item that shouldn't be in a location is in that location?

As I was trained, a "ghost" is an item that the system thinks should be there, but isn't. A "baffle" is an item that the system doesn't think should be there but is.

In my backroom days, you as the scanner/puller would not know an item didn't belong in a location (unless possibly it was a package of underwear sitting in a PLUG location and you would location research it first before doing a pull scan). You scan that baffle item and the system would update the location to include it, you would then continue to scan items in that location until you scan the item you are looking for, or, until you scan everything and none are the item you are looking for so you M-delete the item or LOCU the location and re-sto everything in it.

During the pull, cheating ghosts was easy because the system tells you what you are looking for is not there, but the system doesn't tell you that an item should not be there, unless the system now prompts you for a quantity. If the system now prompts you for a quantity then the LOCU cheat would work.

I don't know about any cheats but people have told me different things about M-Delete. I was told not to use it by BR TL, but BR TM's said we are told not to use it because people don't use it right (scan EVERYTHING in the location and if the item isn't there, then M-Delete). I have been using it, but I guess I've been doing it right. I don't have any baffles as of yet. I'm not official BR. I was never taught how to LOCU until I brought it up to my BR TL a few days ago. I only help pull if BR is short on people, or CAF is way too long.

M-delete does not create a baffle if it is used correctly it only creates a ghost. M-delete creates a baffle when the TM doesn't scan everything in a location, I usually tell my team to scan front facing barcodes first if nothing pulls they scan all barcodes in the location then they are able to use m-delete.

The Backroom quantity audit (BRQA) updates counts for baffles the day before from my understanding. Example a TM finds a baffle through doing a regular pull that puts the item on location but doesn't put a quantity. The BRQA is generated the next morning with the autofills and works like LOCU and you update the location correcting the count of the item without on and updating the location.

you can't cheat a baffle as you don't know when one has been registered.

when you're pulling a caf in a location and scan something that isn't supposed to be there a baffle will register but it won't necessarily tell you.

it will though, send you on an audit there so it can be fixed and it won't reoccur--which is why it's so important to be all over your audits.

the only work around creating a baffle is when the system prompts 'did you pull all from a location.' this occurs under 2 situations. 1) when you enter a quantity much larger than what the system thinks it's there. hitting Y will make a baffle. if you see this question in light duty, back out.

2) for pipo. in those scenarios you don't register a baffle when hitting yes.

As I was trained, a "ghost" is an item that the system thinks should be there, but isn't. A "baffle" is an item that the system doesn't think should be there but is..

Dang, that's right. Nevermind me.

There are three types of baffles:

1. M-Delete baffle - This is when you hit M-Delete without scanning everything in a given location. Any missed DPCI in the location is reported as a baffle the next time it's scanned in a batch unless that DPCI is backstocked in the location before the next batch that pulls from the location.
2. LOCU baffle - This is when you LOCU the location but miss an item when re-backstocking all the items in that location. Any missed DPCI in the location is reported as a baffle the next time it's scanned in a batch unless that DPCI is backstocked in the location before the next batch that pulls from that location.
3. Y-Usage baffle - This is when you're asked "Did you pull all of this item from location?" and hit Y-Yes, but there's actually more of that DPCI in the location. The next time that DPCI is scanned in a batch, it's reported as a baffle unless the same DPCI was backstocked in that location since the Y-usage.

There isn't really a way to "cheat" baffles; all you can do is do your best to prevent them from occurring in the first place. If you use M-Delete or LOCU, make sure you scan every single item in the location first. If you're asked "Did you pull all of this item from location?," look carefully to determine whether or not you actually pulled all of that DPCI. If you're asked that question when pulling an item that's not normally a no-quantity item, then you may have found a baffle.

I went on Workbench to look at the TM BRLA report, and I somehow managed not to be charged with any baffles. I guess my ridiculous OCD is paying off.

Using LOCU is the most logical choice since it deletes the entire location. I use LOCU all the time due to the fact that the morning backroom team doesn't know how to back stock properly. They back stock SNCK in GRC2, GRC1 in GRC3, BB01 in HB01, CHEM in PAPR, SNCK in BUCK, etc...
They also don't separate different DPCIs when back stocking which results in making baffles since they scan different items under one DPCI when typing in the quantity.

Example: there are 4 cans of peanuts. 3 cans are regular, 1 can is lightly salted. The lightly salted can is at the front which means they likely didn't scan it. They scanned a quantity of 4 for the 3 regular cans of peanuts. Told the TL about it and she said it was a "glitch" in the system and bitched at me. After that, I gave up on telling her problems in the backroom. Another guy in the backroom day legion aka sane backroom team members said he also got bitched out for mentioning mistakes he had seen. I'm not going to mention or report any more mistakes.
Honestly, unless a kid is being kidnapped or perved on or someone is dying or hurt, I'm just not gonna give a fuck when it comes to reporting it.

Target management does not care about your thoughts, questions, concerns, and ideas.

There are three types of baffles:

1. M-Delete baffle - This is when you hit M-Delete without scanning everything in a given location. Any missed DPCI in the location is reported as a baffle the next time it's scanned in a batch unless that DPCI is backstocked in the location before the next batch that pulls from the location.
2. LOCU baffle - This is when you LOCU the location but miss an item when re-backstocking all the items in that location. Any missed DPCI in the location is reported as a baffle the next time it's scanned in a batch unless that DPCI is backstocked in the location before the next batch that pulls from that location.
3. Y-Usage baffle - This is when you're asked "Did you pull all of this item from location?" and hit Y-Yes, but there's actually more of that DPCI in the location. The next time that DPCI is scanned in a batch, it's reported as a baffle unless the same DPCI was backstocked in that location since the Y-usage.

There isn't really a way to "cheat" baffles; all you can do is do your best to prevent them from occurring in the first place. If you use M-Delete or LOCU, make sure you scan every single item in the location first. If you're asked "Did you pull all of this item from location?," look carefully to determine whether or not you actually pulled all of that DPCI. If you're asked that question when pulling an item that's not normally a no-quantity item, then you may have found a baffle.

I went on Workbench to look at the TM BRLA report, and I somehow managed not to be charged with any baffles. I guess my ridiculous OCD is paying off.
Ain't nobody got time to scan all 24 kit kats in a waco

I have a question about this: When I am told to pull a casepack that contains "12/4" or any variation thereof on the pick label, it will ask if all was pulled from the location when I pull the whole 12 of the casepack. Does this count as a baffle? Should I only be entering 4, or should it have been backstocked with a quantity of 12?

I have a question about this: When I am told to pull a casepack that contains "12/4" or any variation thereof on the pick label, it will ask if all was pulled from the location when I pull the whole 12 of the casepack. Does this count as a baffle? Should I only be entering 4, or should it have been backstocked with a quantity of 12?

12 is the total eaches, packed in 3 packs of 4. It should have been backstocked as 12. If you get the 'did you pull all' message, it's likely because you are puilling more than the eaches requested -- like with a case of shampoo, it wants 8 but has 12 in the case, you pull the full case.

This does not cause a ballfe, rather it clears the location table of the for that item in that location.

12 is the total eaches, packed in 3 packs of 4. It should have been backstocked as 12. If you get the 'did you pull all' message, it's likely because you are puilling more than the eaches requested -- like with a case of shampoo, it wants 8 but has 12 in the case, you pull the full case.

This does not cause a ballfe, rather it clears the location table of the for that item in that location.
Perfect, thanks. I figured that was the case, I just wanted to confirm.

12 is the total eaches, packed in 3 packs of 4. It should have been backstocked as 12. If you get the 'did you pull all' message, it's likely because you are pulling more than the eaches requested -- like with a case of shampoo, it wants 8 but has 12 in the case, you pull the full case.

This does not cause a baffle, rather it clears the location table of the for that item in that location.

This. For whatever reason, when you have a divided casepack like that, the system only wants to pull one of the inner boxes rather than the entire casepack. If you pull the entire casepack, there won't be a baffle unless the casepack wasn't backstocked correctly. So if you have a casepack of shampoo with a quantity of 12/4, the system may only ask for 4, but you still pull 12. As long as that casepack was backstocked with a quantity of 12, pulling 12 won't report a baffle.

On another note, I've noticed that when you print a dated BCODE label for a divided casepack, the quantity shown on the label will be the amount inside one of the inner packages rather than the entire casepack. For example, if you were to print a dated BCODE label for the above mentioned 12/4 casepack of shampoo, it would show "SSP 4" at the top instead of "SSP 12." So if you want to BCODE a divided casepack, you either have to write the actual quantity on the box or put the dated BCODE labels on the inner packages.

Thanks for that info I have not been able to for the life of me figure out what LOCU baffle was. even when asking leadership. But is there any way a LOCU baffle could be created? Ill LOCU locations like Diapers or PETS or PAPR and next week ill have LOCU baffles when I know I restoed everything...

This. For whatever reason, when you have a divided casepack like that, the system only wants to pull one of the inner boxes rather than the entire casepack. If you pull the entire casepack, there won't be a baffle unless the casepack wasn't backstocked correctly. So if you have a casepack of shampoo with a quantity of 12/4, the system may only ask for 4, but you still pull 12. As long as that casepack was backstocked with a quantity of 12, pulling 12 won't report a baffle.

On another note, I've noticed that when you print a dated BCODE label for a divided casepack, the quantity shown on the label will be the amount inside one of the inner packages rather than the entire casepack. For example, if you were to print a dated BCODE label for the above mentioned 12/4 casepack of shampoo, it would show "SSP 4" at the top instead of "SSP 12." So if you want to BCODE a divided casepack, you either have to write the actual quantity on the box or put the dated BCODE labels on the inner packages.

How do you personally treat those casepacks. I'm almost to the point of having my team breaking them open to backstock because of the way the system pulls it. Also every once in a while Ill have a new TM that will multiply the 2 numbers or will do something else silly.

Hey guys, do you guys know how a team member can get a negative percentage on the BRLA report? Was looking at it the other day and there was a team member who's baffle percentage was (150%)
Looked exactly like that, how does that happen?

They only had like 3 badges and all were from M-deletes, that percentage is baffling me though *no pun intended*

Hey guys, do you guys know how a team member can get a negative percentage on the BRLA report? Was looking at it the other day and there was a team member who's baffle percentage was (150%)

They only had like 3 badges and all were from M-deletes, that percentage is baffling me though *no pun intended*

If you are doing a pull and there's only one location, which you m delete without seeing two of the items in there. If those items are both scanned during another pull later that day, then that would caused two baffles. One pull location with two baffles would be -200%. If that was the only pull the team member did for that week.

If they created the error, say in week 1, and the error was not fixed by another TM scanning in that location until week 2, and the original TM had no or fewer pulls in week 2 as well, that may cause that kind of discrepancy.

How do you personally treat those casepacks. I'm almost to the point of having my team breaking them open to backstock because of the way the system pulls it. Also every once in a while Ill have a new TM that will multiply the 2 numbers or will do something else silly.

I don't handle them myself that often, but how I backstock them depends on how much of the product is left and whether or not I can find a printer. I either BCODE the inner packages (with a date so the quantity shows) or open everything and STO it as openstock.

I don't handle them myself that often, but how I backstock them depends on how much of the product is left and whether or not I can find a printer. I either BCODE the inner packages (with a date so the quantity shows) or open everything and STO it as openstock.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Especially BTS/BTC those packs are annoying and I think it'll save time Locating them in the inner packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back