Archived Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our backroom team is amazing. They're training me back there as well for when it gets crazy. But I have dealt with what you have on the sales floor. All the good people are leaving due to lack of hours and all the newbies are slow. It's sad. I wouldn't put in your 2 weeks just yet. But don't not look for another job just in case. I'd see how it goes but then you have a fall back plan if it goes to hell.

Over the past year we lost 3/4 of our backroom TM's.

This leaves me aas the longest running TM there. Lucky I am also the trainer, heh.

The hardest part is the interim where you have crosstrained TM's taking BR shifts, especially in the early morning. You can expect more hours for sure, and it is not going to be easy to adapt in the short term. Long term though it's all up to your TL and HR to get people that will work out.

We have gone through many (seriously... MANY...) new hires and have retained about 4 very good ones. The rest are slowly being allowed to cycle out where we start a new hiring process. It takes time, but it's worth it in the long run. We are now starting to catch up again (we just went through another hiring cycle and got 3 new people, 2 are still here and 1 is outstanding) and every one is dependable. We even pulled 2 people from the floor into BR "full" time. Meaning they switched officially o the BR payscale and such.

We are now at a few vets, a few transfers from hardlines that are pretty good, about 4 good newer hires, a small handfull of crosstrained people that are good, and then some not as great newer hires. Some of them will leave soon. You can just tell.

However, we have a strong enough team to cover all the shifts, including the early shifts finally... a lot of thsoe who had left were early morning TM's.

It has taken 6 months to recover, and in the meantime we did not have an ETL. We do now, but running on a TL, 2 vets, a few good new hires, a lot of meh new people, and crosstrained was not great. Especially over Christmas. But we got it done and you will too. Just roll with it, man. Your leadership understands (or at least they SHOULD ;D) and you cannot be Superman. Just take it easy, do what you can, and most importantly.... do NOT let the shitty attitudes crop up among the remaining TM's. That stuff is infectious and never helps. The best way to keep it low is to not engage in it with others. You can be mad, frustrated, etc... but never contribute to a public bitching session back there. It only causes problems. We had a bit of that crop up and we had to keep it in check or we would have burned alive.

Best of luck to your store. It will get better.

Last edited:
Well, 2 of the people that are leaving have had a weekly average in the mid 30s, and so have I, for the entire year that I've worked here. I can only imagine my hours will go up after they're gone. I don't mean being made full time in an official capacity, I just meant keeping my hours high enough to get benefits.
If you've been at thirty hours+ a week, you are technically full time and should've already been offered benefits. Anything over thirty at target is considered full time, and anything over thirty hours guarantees you the chance to get benefits. Unless there are some state laws that go against that...

Do what you can, train newbies right and make sure you give feedback on them good and bad.. You will survive and pick your battles.

BR, RIP.. the hours for that just got gutted! Officially, the list I seen was pathetic between 15-25 hours, thats it... and its all tied to volume.

I love the part about them being cross trained in flow... Thanks! NO THANKS! And my team is full, actually OVER... THANKS! :)

Well, 2 of the people that are leaving have had a weekly average in the mid 30s, and so have I, for the entire year that I've worked here. I can only imagine my hours will go up after they're gone. I don't mean being made full time in an official capacity, I just meant keeping my hours high enough to get benefits.
Hours are only going down. There's not enough hours to go around to schedule someone 32+ hours, have 4+ BR TMs and scheduling to be fair.

Our backroom team used to be incredible. There are only two TMs and myself left.

On the most recent schedules I went from 37 hours to 24 and then to 16, all backroom. I'll be getting a different job soon.

We've been losing our veterans as well, but for other reasons. Mostly for personal reasons. The remainder of our team contains one veteran who is probably our strongest team member, who's fast, knowledgeable, and expereinced in the Logistics process. Myself, who is still fairly new to Backroom/Logistics, but I'm fairly fast and catch on quickly. One other TM who's also fairly new, but he's spent a lot of time in the backroom so he's constantly learning. A bit on the slower side. Then there's another new guy, who's a bit on the newer side, a bit slow, and has inconsistent availability. A couple of other people who are crosstrained that get a good number of hours, but pretty much everyone in the backroom atm gets a full 40.

I foresee myself spending a lot of time in the backroom as opposed to Flexible Fulfillment.

40.00 hours per week at Target for a team member? What does that look like? Is the store still standing or did it get sucked into the black hole that was created when the team member got 40.00 hours in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back