CO-LEADERS. How do you do it??

I’m really curious to know... anyone feel they are treated differently, are you carrying more weight, do you really feel equal? Does it come from the team, your executive? I’m not ready to throw in the towel , trying to understand why work against each other service and engagement is tough enough I’m to exhausted to worry about sabotaging my peer.

There’s no point in working against each other, it just makes things worse for everyone. Sorry that your co-leaders are playing that game, it usually doesn’t end well for anyone. I was lucky as a Backroom TL, I always had at least one and sometimes two co-leaders. We worked together to make the backroom run as smoothly as we possibly could, and did what we could to keep the team’s morale high. Since we all had strengths and weaknesses, we combined them to everyone’s advantage. One TL could translate, another couldn’t, one hated doing the schedule, another didn’t, one liked to write reviews, another preferred to deliver them. Each TL did what they were best at, and were supported in their challenges by the others. I think we all felt equal, like parts of a puzzle that were all different, but all necessary to for the puzzle to be complete. No one sabotaged anyone, since weakening any of us would only negatively impact the backroom process, making our jobs harder, and would reflect badly on us all. The system worked well for us for years, with the support of our ETLs, until we were saddled with a micromanaging ETL who destroyed it and drove us all out. Too bad, Spot’s loss. Good luck, I hope things improve for you.

Why does it matter?

You cannot control them, you can only control you. Perhaps you can suggest a weekly planning or communication session? Ultimately the ETL over that area should be helping guide workflow.

So come in, put forth your best effort, and that's all you can do. If you're expecting every person with the same position to have equal responsibility and pay, that's not going to happen anywhere(unless you're in a union, and even then probably not), you're paid based on your merit, not the position.

If they're actively sabotaging you that's a different thing, but more than likely you just have a leader who is poor at facilitating conversation.

It matters because I’m being paid to do a job. I’m there to do the job. Your entire statement is on point. At the bottom of my care abouts is pay. I give absolutely zero care if my CO makes more than the director. What I do care about is my team, my performance and our STORE. Obviously those things are all important and need to be at their best so we can provide service to our GUESTS. I know I’m not the only one (hopefully) that’s experienced or witnessed something like this. I will list some examples. Lucy and Ethel both SETL ,Fred is ETL. Oh Lucy thank goodness we need help all the registers went down and mydevices and mco aren’t working either. What do I do it’s my first week here. I called for Ethel she won’t respond and we can’t locate her in the building. She went on meal 4 hours ago and I haven’t seen her since. Mind you I’m just arriving for the day ok where’s Fred? I heard Fred laughing but haven’t seen him since he left with Ethel. It’s just constantly doing damage control and never actually telling them the truth. That makes me look bad! All of the team have requested to change availability to only shifts myself and veterans work because they learn something new and actually get 15 minutes of their break. If I say anything Fred will say well you know Ethel can’t stand the front so let’s support her.

There’s no point in working against each other, it just makes things worse for everyone. Sorry that your co-leaders are playing that game, it usually doesn’t end well for anyone. I was lucky as a Backroom TL, I always had at least one and sometimes two co-leaders. We worked together to make the backroom run as smoothly as we possibly could, and did what we could to keep the team’s morale high. Since we all had strengths and weaknesses, we combined them to everyone’s advantage. One TL could translate, another couldn’t, one hated doing the schedule, another didn’t, one liked to write reviews, another preferred to deliver them. Each TL did what they were best at, and were supported in their challenges by the others. I think we all felt equal, like parts of a puzzle that were all different, but all necessary to for the puzzle to be complete. No one sabotaged anyone, since weakening any of us would only negatively impact the backroom process, making our jobs harder, and would reflect badly on us all. The system worked well for us for years, with the support of our ETLs, until we were saddled with a micromanaging ETL who destroyed it and drove us all out. Too bad, Spot’s loss. Good luck, I hope things improve for you.
This to the T!!!! Thank you! And yes SPOT DID LOSE! What an awesome team you must’ve been. I bet your metrics spoke to that too.

Back