Archived Coached and confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just got coached by an ETL because he asked for that ETL's location over the walkie. Is this something new with ETLs?

I've never heard of someone getting coached for that. BUT I can see why it happened. Walkies are there for many reasons, one of them being able to communicate with someone else from a distance. The amount of time that's wasted because of the constant 'what's your location' or 'can you come here' is crazy. Use the walkie, if it's something that can't be said over the walkie then mention that. LOD, switch to 4 please. LOD can you come to A1, I need you for something I can't mention over the walkie.

Another thing is this, when someone is constantly questioning your location on the walkie...first of all it's none of their business, secondlly, hmmm, it's a pet peeve of mine. If I wanted the entire store knowing what I'm working on I would have announced it. If I'm coaching a TM in the office or walking an area to see someones progress, I may not want anyone else to know about it.

tldr - use the walkie whenever possible, request their assistance instead of asking where they are

My friend just got coached by an ETL because he asked for that ETL's location over the walkie. Is this something new with ETLs?

No one is allowed to ask an ETL their location at my store except for emergency situations. The reasons is my store had a history of clever TMs asking the ETLs where they were so they could slack off or otherwise do things they shouldn't be doing.

We always ask ETL locations in my store. Of course, when I'm working it is usually just the closing LOD vs having the entire ETL crew there.

As for me, I never ask. If I want to speak with them I will go to 2-3 and ask them to come see me either when they do a lap around the store or I will meet them somewhere.

Last edited:
Sounds like an ETL needs the stick yanked out of his/her butt. If it was a legitimate request, like asking if they were closer than someone else, it sounds like someone was just butthurt that a base employee wanted to know where.

I would've never thought of this as being an issue. Every retailer I've worked at all over my state and in another state, that have used walkies, have always had employees asks managers "what is your location?"

I ask my ETL and some of the TLs all the time where they are, especially on schedule day, so that I can either go find them to talk about something, or to see if they are close enough to the front to take care of something, or near a phone... Whatever it is. Never had a problem.

No one is allowed to ask an ETL their location at my store except for emergency situations. The reasons is my store had a history of clever TMs asking the ETLs where they were so they could slack off or otherwise do things they shouldn't be doing.

Wow, glad I don't work at your store. I rarely have to ask ETLs things in person, but if I have to, I prefer to come to them instead of pulling them away from whatever they're doing to have them come to me.

There IS a problem with people calling TLs and ETLs over when they could've just switched to channel 3 or 4, but generally, if our leaders are in the middle of something, they will ask if it can be handled on a different channel.

If people asked me to go to electronics or guest service etc. and I was busy I'd just tell them to go to 3/4.

I always asked the LODs when I'm trying to turn my keys after shift. I prefer walking to them rather than waiting them at TSC

Target can find more ways to waste time than is believable.

If an ETL is busy doing something important, all he/she has to say is he can't be interrupted at that time. Otherwise, his/her location shouldn't be treated as a secret... not unless he/she doesn't like to be caught sleeping on the job.

Another thing is this, when someone is constantly questioning your location on the walkie...first of all it's none of their business, secondlly, hmmm, it's a pet peeve of mine. If I wanted the entire store knowing what I'm working on I would have announced it. If I'm coaching a TM in the office or walking an area to see someones progress, I may not want anyone else to know about it.

tldr - use the walkie whenever possible, request their assistance instead of asking where they are
lol, you're an ETL, not a super-secret spy. Neither of those are legitimate reasons not to want someone to call you over the walkie. You must be tons of fun at your store.

If the ETL was soooo busy, how would he/she justify wasting the time coaching someone? The smallest amount of power can go to people's heads, I swear.

This seems beyond silly to me. Then again as things have been going at Target, not suprising either.

I love when your on one side of the store someone ask you over the walkie to come to B1 or whatever, you walk all the way over there for something they could have asked you on the walkie. Or vice versa they walk to you for the same thing they could have just asked on the walkie, I have to say if that's the situation then I would just simply tell them to not do that again, if it continued then yea I would coach them for productivity reasons wasting my time and theirs.

Here's what some of you don't get. While you are calling for a location and walking over there, when it could have been handled over the walkie, half of the store is doing the same damn thing. I am so glad I don't have to work with some of you, either the work ethic is missing or the intelligence is.

Here's what some of you don't get. While you are calling for a location and walking over there, when it could have been handled over the walkie, half of the store is doing the same damn thing. I am so glad I don't have to work with some of you, either the work ethic is missing or the intelligence is.

I'm certainly not speaking for everyone, but sometimes I want to discuss something about team members or guests without someone potentially overhearing. Also, I don't know about your store, but I can't understand half the time what people say over the walkie, especially if its more than a couple words. People just can't use them correctly, including LODs, and theyre crappy and static up all the time. More of a waste of time in my opinion to have someone repeat themselves 10 times. And I even ask them to call me instead at an extension and they say they're not next to a phone.

So sometimes, it IS more productive to ask for a location.

I and other leaders in my store would simply ask, is something you can ask me over the walkie? Mostly, unless it was a new person, it was not. Not to mention trying to have a convo on those jucked up walkies is a nightmare. Got to get to a phone if possible anyway.

It's pathetic you guys are reaching down to what if's. I clearly stated that you can tell them you want to talk to them about something that shouldn't be on the walkie. It may be more productive for you, but for the average TM, it isn't. Let's not just disagree with me just to do it. That's childish and idiotic.

lol, you're being abrasive and illogical, people are bound to disagree. The point was that there is legitimate reasons to call someone over. It certainly isn't the case a lot of the time, but why coach? Because you can.

There's nothing wrong with saying 'I'm in B' or wherever you are. If you don't want people asking, mention it at huddles. What's annoyingly dumb here is that someone got coached, presumably after a first offense.

If you honestly believe that's the whole story then I don't know what else to say on the matter.

Coachings are not supposed to be this bad thing that are used as threats. They are supposed to help you out, such as when a coach coaches his team. Of course it's not like that, but I doubt it was a documented coaching anyway.

I'm certainly not speaking for everyone, but sometimes I want to discuss something about team members or guests without someone potentially overhearing. Also, I don't know about your store, but I can't understand half the time what people say over the walkie, especially if its more than a couple words. People just can't use them correctly, including LODs, and theyre crappy and static up all the time. More of a waste of time in my opinion to have someone repeat themselves 10 times. And I even ask them to call me instead at an extension and they say they're not next to a phone.

So sometimes, it IS more productive to ask for a location.

And sometimes I watch all the ETLs and TLs and TMs switch to 4 when someone asks to speak to LOD on 4. Yeah, a bunch of nosy nancys with nothing better to do than listen in. Sometimes I don't want to talk to EVERYBODY in the freaking store. So I ask for location.

I switch channels if I have something lengthy to say and don't want to clog up channel one. I never say anything on walkie that I wouldn't be comfortable with the whole store hearing because while I may be able to resist temptation and not switch channels, that doesn't mean everyone else will have the same respect. Sometimes I also feel like it's easier to explain myself or the situation face to face.

If it was store business, I'd ask them to go to (so we don't get talked over by BR).
If it was confidential, I'd ask them to call me at XXX.
The only time I asked for location was if I had to SHOW them something - kinda hard to do over a walkie, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back