Archived Conversion Rate and coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshana

TM/Food Ave
Hello all!

So my GSTL came up to me two days ago with a clipboard talking about conversion rates. He said that at my store, the minimum conversion rate you can have is three percent. Any lower and you get "coached" (I still have no idea what that is, or how it'd hurt me if it happened). Mine was at eight percent.

Eight percent, to me, isn't much higher than three percent. I doubt I'll be able to pull much higher than three percent on a weekly basis without getting down on my knees and straight up begging customers. Not to mention the fact that all the redcards I get at Food Ave don't even count towards my conversion score!

Will getting coached repeatedly prevent me from being eventually promoted? What is coaching, exactly? I worked my BUTT off trying to get people to sign up for red cards, and I'm only five percent above the minimum? I don't know how you guys deal with all the stress.

8% is actually very good for individual conversion. Just so you're aware of how Target calculates your conversion score:

Your score identifies how many guests, out of every 100 REDcard prompts, sign up for a card. So, a 3% conversion goal means that Target expects you to convince 3 out of every 100 guests to sign up, when prompted. Note that this is NOT the same as 3/100 transactions. Since several guests already have REDcards, the system wouldn't prompt you to ask them, and thus you wouldn't be penalized for that guest not signing up. The system also won't prompt for smaller monetary transactions. Thus, getting a card on a non-prompted transaction is almost like "extra credit." Doesn't hurt you when you don't get it, but it sure helps when you do! This is why a lot of stores are now telling cashiers to ask every single guest, regardless of whether they are prompted or not.

By the way, since when does getting cards at FA not count toward conversion? I realize the registers don't prompt over there, but I always thought any card counts toward your score, regardless of workcenter. Can any other forum members shed some light on this?

So, even though 8 doesn't seem a lot bigger than 3, it's actually great when you look at it from the percent angle (it means you are getting nearly triple the number of REDcards you're expected to). If you're expecting scores of 30+, well.... never say never, but that just isn't realistic. If it does, quit Target immediately and start selling real-estate!

Finally, don't worry too much if this score drops a bit. When you're new and getting REDcards, your score will start out very high, because you haven't really had a lot of prompts yet. As you cashier more and the total number of prompts increases, the percentage is likely to drop off somewhat.

Thanks guys! Yeah, even though I got two red cards in Food Ave today, they didn't count.

I have tomorrow on register to get some that count!

Thanks guys! Yeah, even though I got two red cards in Food Ave today, they didn't count.

I have tomorrow on register to get some that count!

Who has told you they didnt count? When looking at conversion in myperformance it doesn't differentiate by where the red card came from. A red card application is a red card application no matter where you got it from. Going by this theory any red cards from electronics wouldn't count either.

Yeh, that ain't right.
We have a guy at FA who's a red card whiz & his certainly count.

My TL for that day said they don't count into my score, but then yesterday during a cashier shift I was told they do.

It'll be a great relief if it turns out they do count. I have gotten six at Food Ave during the two days I've worked there, and with the limited transactions I did I bet that'd really boost my score.

8% is actually very good for individual conversion. Just so you're aware of how Target calculates your conversion score:

Your score identifies how many guests, out of every 100 REDcard prompts, sign up for a card. So, a 3% conversion goal means that Target expects you to convince 3 out of every 100 guests to sign up, when prompted. Note that this is NOT the same as 3/100 transactions. Since several guests already have REDcards, the system wouldn't prompt you to ask them, and thus you wouldn't be penalized for that guest not signing up. The system also won't prompt for smaller monetary transactions. Thus, getting a card on a non-prompted transaction is almost like "extra credit." Doesn't hurt you when you don't get it, but it sure helps when you do! This is why a lot of stores are now telling cashiers to ask every single guest, regardless of whether they are prompted or not.

By the way, since when does getting cards at FA not count toward conversion? I realize the registers don't prompt over there, but I always thought any card counts toward your score, regardless of workcenter. Can any other forum members shed some light on this?

So, even though 8 doesn't seem a lot bigger than 3, it's actually great when you look at it from the percent angle (it means you are getting nearly triple the number of REDcards you're expected to). If you're expecting scores of 30+, well.... never say never, but that just isn't realistic. If it does, quit Target immediately and start selling real-estate!

Finally, don't worry too much if this score drops a bit. When you're new and getting REDcards, your score will start out very high, because you haven't really had a lot of prompts yet. As you cashier more and the total number of prompts increases, the percentage is likely to drop off somewhat.

VERY close in terms of REDcard calculations... Each REDcard is actually worth only half a percent (or if your goal is 3% on the report, you need to get 6 REDcards for every 100 prompts)... The amount of prompts you get will depend on the market that shops at your store!

VERY close in terms of REDcard calculations... Each REDcard is actually worth only half a percent (or if your goal is 3% on the report, you need to get 6 REDcards for every 100 prompts)... The amount of prompts you get will depend on the market that shops at your store!

Only 0.5%? Wow, the new things you learn every day...

And only Target would take a basic concept like percents and try to mess with it. "What, you converted 6 out of 100 prompts? Congrats! In any other real-world scenario, 6/100 would be 6%. But here at Target we do math differently, so you only get 3%."

You've upset the math teacher, Spot.

Except if you get a redcard through the prompt and then it counts as the full 1%. It's why if I have a guest ringing up more than $50 and they want a credit card I hit the cash option to force the prompt before processing the card.

The prompt greatly upsets me every time it appears. My process is to greet the customer, wait until all their items are on the belt (usually halfway through the transaction process) and then bring up the REDcard. By the time I've been told yes/no I'm still not done ringing up items. Now that I really think about it...I don't think I've EVER signed someone up on the prompt.

Now that I really think about it...I don't think I've EVER signed someone up on the prompt.

I think I've had one of those in almost three years with Spot. That's why they tell us to ask everybody, prompted or not.

They DO count in other work centers...we RARELY get prompted in pharmacy and rarely get RedCards, but I actually showed up on some report one week and my STL came and asked me if I had picked up a cashier shift...I wasn't prompted either so I had a whopping 1% both times~lol!

It is suggested to check with your gstl & find out your conversion rate & level of transactions. Knowing the correct numbers is the key to the game for red cards or Rx rewards.

Oh jeeze. The RedCards you've gotten at food ave DO count. Misinformed TL. Your transactions at food ave don't count towards your total number of transactions-- maybe that's what they meant? So, that means getting reds over there is even better... because say you got 2 reds at food ave one day and didn't do any regular cashiering... that's a straight 200% conversion for the day, and then that averages into the month. Your RedCards DO count, no matter where you get them.

Oh also-- sounds like your store has a pretty aggressive goal! Mine is seen as having an aggressive goal and ours is 2.5! You're doing wonderfully at 8%. If they're threatening to coach you... it's just a coaching... a little bitty conversation to say "hey, we want to have a FABULOUS conversation rate"... no big deal. If you went a few months straight at like 1.5% and showed no effort, they'd probably do a formal corrective action. Basically, you have nothing to worry about. You sound like a champ!

I was cashiering for a few hrs yesterday & I was told that non-prompted now counts the same.
I hope so since I got my first redcard (since I left the front nearly 2 yrs ago) without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back