Archived Costco is coming to town...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf4531

Fulfillment Expert
We recently learned that Costco is expected to open a store in our area in the late fall of 2014. More specifically, it will be right next door to our store!

Anyone that works retail likely knows that, when it comes to employee wages and benefits, Costco destroys most of the competition.

We already have a few TMs and TLs talking about jumping ship when the new store starts the hiring process.

Of course, the big question on everyone's mind is this: Will individual stores offer unscheduled, larger-than-normal pay raises to TMs they want to keep, in an attempt to avoid losing them in situations like this? Is this a DTL (or higher up) decision? Thoughts?

Oh Costco that is the place to go. As for the raise thing I believe they only do that after they do a wage survey in the area. So unless Target is below the wage average then they would not give raises just to compete with one store. Unless that store pushed the average high enough that Target was now to low.

We have Costco around 4 stores in our district. Some tm's work for both spot & Costco. They pay good wages.

We had several TLs/TMs leave when Costco opened here a few years ago. A few didn't last but the others said it was much better once they attained FT status.

Costco is great to work for but hard to get to be full time. If you can afford it, it's worth the wait.

I gather it's harder in the sense that for old stores the turnover is very low so full time positions don't come open that often.

Wages do vary Target to Target and with a Costco coming in thats good news for your wages. All we got is a Walmart around so wages will stay rock bottom forever

We recently learned that Costco is expected to open a store in our area in the late fall of 2014. More specifically, it will be right next door to our store!

Anyone that works retail likely knows that, when it comes to employee wages and benefits, Costco destroys most of the competition.

We already have a few TMs and TLs talking about jumping ship when the new store starts the hiring process.

Of course, the big question on everyone's mind is this: Will individual stores offer unscheduled, larger-than-normal pay raises to TMs they want to keep, in an attempt to avoid losing them in situations like this? Is this a DTL (or higher up) decision? Thoughts?

Good luck with getting on at Costco.... I have been trying for years.

You have to remember that Costco sometimes pays their version of TM's as much as ETLs.... in other words, they can demand (and they do) the best of the best.

What I have heard is that since the economy is so bad, Costco is pretty much demanding at a minimum an associate's degree for even cashiers. You also have to be 100% spotless on paper.... perfect work history, no criminal convictions of any kind, good references, etc. *Any* blemish on your record at all and you are out of consideration.

Costco is "perfect" their Minimum Wage is 12$/hour! And they are Unionized! If you can get in there, go!

Costco is "perfect" their Minimum Wage is 12$/hour! And they are Unionized! If you can get in there, go!

Here they start at $15/hour for cashiers. Everyone wants to work there and NO ONE ever quits. I shop there, and have seen the same people there for years. That's half the problem getting in.

Been trying for years......

On another note only a small number of Costco locations are still unionized.

Been trying for years......

On another note only a small number of Costco locations are still unionized.

Yes, but all of them reap the benefits.... when the unionized costco's make a union contract with the company, most of the contract applies to all the stores.

I know that stores can offer incentive pay to retain individual employees they want to retain. One of our team members who has been working with target for 7 years put in her two weeks because she found a higher paying job, so the ETL-HR offered her a work center transfer and some very nice incentive pay! I don't think they do it at store level, but if they care enough to retain an individual employee they will find a way to offer a better wage.

we had a cart attendant that left costco to work for us. while he got paid more, he just didn't get hours.

I have been considering leaving target for Costco. They have the position I want and much better pay than spot.

I love how target seems to try to deny the existence of/ success of Costco when they go on their anti union propegandizing... Unions could make working at target like workin at Costco... NOBODY WOULD WANT THAT!!!!

haha my store is next to a Costco and a Walmart. Mostly, Flow TMs work between two of the tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back