Archived could I get fired for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight as cashier, a woman and her daughter bought some clearance cosmetics/HBA items, totaling about $26. She lost her new Redcard in her wallet somewhere, so I suspended her purchase while she stepped WELL aside to look for it. I rang up several other guests in the meantime. When she came back and I turned to get her bag, her bag with her items was gone. Someone had accidentally taken her bagged, un-purchased items. I apologized to her, told her she could simply find the same items and buy those and she told me not to worry. A few minutes later the LOD, who just happened to be the ETL-AP, came by and me with a guilty conscience reported what happened (if the LOD was anyone else I probably wouldn't have said anything) and told him the total loss. About two hours passed by to the end of my shift, me worried what would happen. I did mention the guest's reaction to him when I clocked out, and he just told me to be careful because the losses would add up.

I heard a story about a former Electronics TM at our store (before I came) who was termed because he was inattentive at the boat while on the phone and a guest walked out with an iPad, which is why I'm worried. I know $26 of mostly clearance items (I didn't mention this fact to the ETL-AP) and an iPad are different but still I am nervous :fool:

Last edited:
I don't think you'll get fired for it. Maybe the GSTL took it when you weren't looking because he/she thought it was a paid-and-left? Just try to be more attentive next time. Maybe hide the bag somewhere in your lane where it's out of guests' reach.

It's actually a good thing that the LOD happened to be the ETL-AP because he can check the cameras and investigate. The electronics TM was most likely fired because he left the iPad case unlocked (and a guest got away with one).

It happens from time to time. No, you won't get fired since it wasn't a big ticket item. Whenever I'm cashiering and such a instance occurs I usually put the guest's bag(s) with the coat hangers, out of sight for other guests who can easily get confused.

Easily confused is right. I've had that happen and the next guest only has two small items to go in a bag, but will still try to take both bags. Most guests have no idea what they've actually bought, and will easily either leave things behind or take what isn't theirs.

Had a guest put her stuff in a cart with 2 good-sized plastic crates & went out the door. The guest they belonged to had run to get one more item & left her crates parked near the cashier. They ran out to the parking lot & recovered the crates as the guest was putting them in her car. She said "Oh, I thought they were mine." even tho she hadn't paid for them.
When AP reviewed the video, they saw her take her bags from one cart & put them ON TOP of the crates in the other cart before leaving.

im prolly gunna be fired cause they think im stealig promotonial gift cards when im not..

One time when I was working in electronics this one dude stole over 3K worth of merchandise. My ETL-AP just laughed about it.
Anyway I didn't get in trouble at all, even though this could have possibly been avoided if I walked my area. Not that I even had the time to do that.
So yeah $26 is nothing, just be more careful next time.

I've had a team member leave the iPad case unlocked AND the iPod case unlocked and they kept their job. Luckily I was able to recover the $3500 in iPads but we unfortunately lost the $1600 in iPods. You'll be fine, mistakes happen...

I've had a team member leave the iPad case unlocked AND the iPod case unlocked and they kept their job. Luckily I was able to recover the $3500 in iPads but we unfortunately lost the $1600 in iPods. You'll be fine, mistakes happen...

At my store about 4-5 months ago. We had a Elec TM who left the iPad case unlocked, a guest noticed and took 2 iPads went to office supplies emptied a box of file folders put the ipads in. Paid for the folders and walked out. The very next day same TM was working and pushed a TV up front for a carryout. Still didn't notice the case was unlocked. Same guest returned saw it unlocked took 13 more and went to domestics, took a heater out of the box put the ipads in went to office supplies got a tape gun taped the box shut. Cashier rang him out for the heater and he was gone. Lost near $5k in iPads.

TL; DR: TM left case unlocked and guest on 2 consecutive days stole $5k in iPads.

At my store about 4-5 months ago. We had a Elec TM who left the iPad case unlocked, a guest noticed and took 2 iPads went to office supplies emptied a box of file folders put the ipads in. Paid for the folders and walked out. The very next day same TM was working and pushed a TV up front for a carryout. Still didn't notice the case was unlocked. Same guest returned saw it unlocked took 13 more and went to domestics, took a heater out of the box put the ipads in went to office supplies got a tape gun taped the box shut. Cashier rang him out for the heater and he was gone. Lost near $5k in iPads.

TL; DR: TM left case unlocked and guest on 2 consecutive days stole $5k in iPads.

That tm has gone by now, I hope.

Sounds like Inside Job, honestly.

Most Shoplifters in our store, would never know how to box stuff, or well, even think about doing it :p There not really that bright honestly.. I think the Guest conspired with the TM, and knew the case would be unlocked at both times. If the Guest were apprehended, they could be charged with Burglary as it was a preplanned crime, plus the amount they stole would also be a additional felony.. TM would also have a nice range of charges for there own personal record.

Actually, where the heck was your AP during these both incidents? If there In Store, ELECTRONICS should always be monitored. It's the highest risk area in the store.

My store is ULV and it is not uncommon for no AP to be in the building early in the morning til 10 or 11 sometimes even noon. or for the TPS to be scheduled out at 7 or 8. At least until recently with the latest Inventory results.

Yes, the TM is no longer with us, but its more because he seemed apathetic with the job.

One Saturday night I was helping the GSTL to gather coupons from the registers. I had all the coupons in a bag. When the GSTL asked me about the bag of coupons, I couldn't find it.

Long story short....our AP had to watch the films to find out what had happened to the coupons......I'd given the bag to a guest.

Anyway, there were probably several thousand dollars worth of coupons that I'd lost.....but I'm still here.

When you cashier, you make mistakes....it happens. Just 'fess up to what you did and then let them decide what to do. Your honesty about what happened is more than likely the saving grace if you make a mistake.

About a month ago I was close to going past my scheduled work shift and I really goofed up. A guest had left the store without sliding their credit card....so there was no payment made. The next guest was ready to check out so the only option I thought about was to VOID the entire transaction. When I had realized what had happened in my haste to clock out before flagging, I spoke to my GSA and then the LOD to tell them what I'd done. The bill that hadn't got paid...the one that I VOIDED out was about a sixty dollar transaction. Now, I could have just pretended I hadn't made a mistake, but I didn't....I did tell people about it. So far....I'm still here!

So mistakes happen....just try not to let the same thing happen again.

About a month ago I was close to going past my scheduled work shift and I really goofed up. A guest had left the store without sliding their credit card....so there was no payment made. The next guest was ready to check out so the only option I thought about was to VOID the entire transaction. When I had realized what had happened in my haste to clock out before flagging, I spoke to my GSA and then the LOD to tell them what I'd done. The bill that hadn't got paid...the one that I VOIDED out was about a sixty dollar transaction. Now, I could have just pretended I hadn't made a mistake, but I didn't....I did tell people about it. So far....I'm still here!

I'm not sure what the best practice is in this situation, but I would suspend the order. That way, the GSTL/LOD/AP/whoever can see what items the guest had.

Anytime ANYTHING, and I mean ANYTHING, is voided, a little alert comes through, in our AP reports. We're supposed to review everything, even like $1 items, to see what happend. I can say, telling a LOD or GSA is the best thing to do, then pretending nothing happend. Otherwise, were gonna see that some guest came through your line, you scanned everything, and he just walked out, and as AP were probably gonna assume it wasn't a accident, but something Fraudulent.

Last edited:
We've got a few known box stuffers in our market. It sucks!

During my attempted apprehension on the iPad, one was used to smack me over the head. Fun times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back