Archived credit/debit cards and security codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
OK....so now we have to get the last four numbers from guests who use their cards.

I thought that this was supposed to happen for totals over $200.00. So why doesn't the system prompt every $200 purchase? Sometimes guests have a large bill and I tell them that the computer may prompt me for their 4 numbers...the guest keeps the card out, but then the system doesn't ask?

Anyone know what the policy is on these charges?.....and why sometimes you don't get asked for the numbers?

I have a feeling that it is based on whether the card has been used at that store within the past few months or something.

I find it is a lot of Amex cards. A few out of country ones as well. But yes usually large purchases. Had one today over $350.

At my store, it used to only prompt for the last 4 digits if the total was at least $400. If it was at least $200, we would have to check ID. Since I don't cash that often these days, I'm not entirely certain how we do it now.

I have noticed, however, that guests who use Red Cards for such purchases often get declined. Red Card numbers have fewer than 16 digits, so I get the impression that the system thinks I'm not entering the correct "last 4 digits."

The old school REDCards have less than 16 numbers, but the new ones issued in the past few years all have 16 numbers. I don't know about the old school ones, but the normal ones, if you enter the last four digits (even though it is spaced funny on the card) it will be fine.

That said, if your store is asking for ID, they are legally in the wrong. Nothing in Spot's agreement with the credit card companies allows this, and is actually against the terms of agreement.

The old school REDCards have less than 16 numbers, but the new ones issued in the past few years all have 16 numbers. I don't know about the old school ones, but the normal ones, if you enter the last four digits (even though it is spaced funny on the card) it will be fine.

That said, if your store is asking for ID, they are legally in the wrong. Nothing in Spot's agreement with the credit card companies allows this, and is actually against the terms of agreement.

Must be old cards then. And re: ID - we used to check. We don't anymore.

The other day a GSTM put a refund on a Visa gift card. I don't understand how they even did it. The guest had to make two more trips to the store and spend a long time on the phone just to get her refund. You are not supposed to be able to reload money on those cards!

At our store it is anything over $200 unless they use a pin and then it doesn't prompt. I think I had one that was just under $200 but I don't remember if it was a red card that brought it under the $200.

The other day a GSTM put a refund on a Visa gift card. I don't understand how they even did it. The guest had to make two more trips to the store and spend a long time on the phone just to get her refund. You are not supposed to be able to reload money on those cards!

Pretty sure if you just use the recommended refund option the POS will go through on it. May bounce back several days later but there's nothing indicating it on the receipt or the POS or anything. That's why I always confirm with the guest that they'd like the refund back on their visa or whatever before putting it through.

Pretty sure if you just use the recommended refund option the POS will go through on it. May bounce back several days later but there's nothing indicating it on the receipt or the POS or anything. That's why I always confirm with the guest that they'd like the refund back on their visa or whatever before putting it through.

This cause it has happened to me. And if I remember right the register doesn't know its a "gift card" just a Visa card. Why I didn't think anything of it. Until the guest caught after she told me "ok fine to put it back" then she remembered it was "that stupid gift card". To late.. I bought the GSTL coffee for fixing that one..

OK....so now we have to get the last four numbers from guests who use their cards.

I thought that this was supposed to happen for totals over $200.00. So why doesn't the system prompt every $200 purchase? Sometimes guests have a large bill and I tell them that the computer may prompt me for their 4 numbers...the guest keeps the card out, but then the system doesn't ask?

Anyone know what the policy is on these charges?.....and why sometimes you don't get asked for the numbers?
It's $200 credit, and we're doing it so nobody can "clone" a card, they insert someone's card data on an old card, so the number wouldn't match the data in the magnetic strip. Only for credit transactions, debit will not prompt for it because of the added PIN security.

Thanks TimmyD!

Now I know just to watch for credit cards....not debit cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back