Demoting from a team lead to team member

Hey everyone, So I am seriously contemplating demoting from a Specialty Sales team leader (Home/Seasonal) to a team member, I realize I would have to go to a different store, I was wondering if anyone knows about how much I would lose. I've heard a few different amounts.

I have been with the company for awhile and would like to stay, just not as an overworked team leader with absolutely no support.

My next step will probably be to call HROC

Thanks!

Hey everyone, So I am seriously contemplating demoting from a Specialty Sales team leader (Home/Seasonal) to a team member, I realize I would have to go to a different store, I was wondering if anyone knows about how much I would lose. I've heard a few different amounts.

I have been with the company for awhile and would like to stay, just not as an overworked team leader with absolutely no support.

Thanks!
You only lose the differential. So if your store is +$4 but you're at $22, you'd only go down to $18.

It used to be that TLs were generally offered $3 over current wage. So for me, originally, I went from 10 something to 13 something when I promoted. Presumably, if i had demoted, $3 would have been subtracted from my wage. Currently, however, starting wage is $16 for TMs and $24 for TL's. I don't think that means I would lose $8 if I demoted, but I'm really not sure. There is at least one TM in my store who demoted making on the order of $33+/hour. Crazy...

That is basically what I thought, the $4, but I've heard from other people that they were told it was more like $7.50 when they asked.

I'll just say, I've often contemplated demotion in my most stressful moments, of which there seem to be an inexhaustible supply. Many of my peers have done this, and generally seem better off emotionally for it.

What has always kept me from it, other than the pay decrease, has been my perception that I would be moving backwards in my professional life. There have been times when TL positions have opened up that I have already done, that I really enjoyed doing, and there was an assumption that I would be open to doing them again. But that's not been the case. I would consider a lateral move into a role I've already done to be a backwards move. It doesn't grow me or substantially gain me any new skills or experience.

The same is even more true of a demotion. I've already proven that I excel as a TM. That is why I was promoted. Sure, it feels great knowing that I excel at my job, in my current role. But I want to be challenged. No I don't like stress any more than anyone else. At the same time, it encourages growth and development.

Maybe your growth and development doesn't come from staying in the same environment, but instead comes from looking for a career apart from Target. That feels reasonable, even if it maybe doesn't feel safe.

Good luck.

You would lose whatever the difference in TM and TL starting pay is. For my store that difference is $8. If I were to demote, I would lose $8 even though when I promoted the difference was only $5.

It's crazy to me to think that way back when I started, the difference in pay between an TM and a TL was only $1.

$8 would be tragic. All things being equal, I could not take that loss.

SigningLady, you've been around a long time! I've been with Target 20 years and TL for 16. You must predate that! (sorry don't want to make you feel old, but I do respect company loyalty.)

Thanks everyone, I now have more insight and understand it better.

I have some thinking to do now😕

I probably have signinglady and Dysprosed beat by a few years, also appreciate the loyalty!

$8 would be tragic. All things being equal, I could not take that loss.

SigningLady, you've been around a long time! I've been with Target 20 years and TL for 16. You must predate that! (sorry don't want to make you feel old, but I do respect company loyalty.)

While I am considered an OG at my store, I'm only on year 15. But I'm curious, inquisitive, and nosey so I know lot about a lot. 😆 The young ones look at me in awe!

Thanks!
If Target is that bad I would remain as a TL then go somewhere else whether it is in retail or not.

I would expect any conversation you had with HROC to get back to the store.

I'll just say, I've often contemplated demotion in my most stressful moments, of which there seem to be an inexhaustible supply. Many of my peers have done this, and generally seem better off emotionally for it.

What has always kept me from it, other than the pay decrease, has been my perception that I would be moving backwards in my professional life. There have been times when TL positions have opened up that I have already done, that I really enjoyed doing, and there was an assumption that I would be open to doing them again. But that's not been the case. I would consider a lateral move into a role I've already done to be a backwards move. It doesn't grow me or substantially gain me any new skills or experience.

The same is even more true of a demotion. I've already proven that I excel as a TM. That is why I was promoted. Sure, it feels great knowing that I excel at my job, in my current role. But I want to be challenged. No I don't like stress any more than anyone else. At the same time, it encourages growth and development.

Maybe your growth and development doesn't come from staying in the same environment, but instead comes from looking for a career apart from Target. That feels reasonable, even if it maybe doesn't feel safe.

Good luck.
I feel work/life balance and overall satisfaction with one's work is way more important than climbing a ladder. To each their own.

At my former job with Sears, I worked my way up from full time regular employee to salaried manager, skipping the hourly manager role. I only lasted a year as salary and then "stepped down" to an hourly manager, because I wanted a life outside of my work.

The hourly manager position I held was enjoyable and I worked hard to better my department and put together a great team.

Then a new store manager came in and moved everyone around and we had no say in the matter. My new department was not my cup of tea, but I still stuck it out for three years before I couldn't take it anymore. The only full time opening was a "demotion" to cashier, which I eventually decided to take because I was over it in my current role.

Best decision I ever made, despite the pay cut. The stress relief was immediate. I eventually became an hourly manager again when my dream position opened up, and that's where I finished out my career at Sears.

Just a regular ol TM at Target now and that's fine with me. I've been asked about becoming a leader but I'm not interested in all that stress anymore.

One of my tl demoted and transferred to a different store . She lost 9$ but still put her at 20$ in her new store even tho the store she transferred is at 18. I was able to get with hr to leave her at 20$ just like our inbound team .

If you step down, your hours are not guaranteed. You could be scheduled 20-25 hours/week. That's what happened to me when I stepped down.

Update your resume and start looking for another job. The skills you've learned at Target are easily transferable.

I left Target in April 2021 after 15+ years, it was wearing on my soul... Now have a Mo-Fr office job and am much happier 🙏🤗

I say stick to taking Target's money until they cut you off, especially if you think/know that they are or will soon be actively pushing you out, keep on copping that dank rank bank....that is after all the very reason you signed up to work there is it not

cash rules everything around you and they're pushing a decent amount at you so best be snatching it while it lasts fam

No guaranteed hours is reason enough not to step down.

In my department the newest schedule has my hours cut 0.75 hours.

At my store whenever they start cutting hours in 0.25 increments they doing are trying to save payroll.

Back