Archived Depression and retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone here actually deals with this. How do you deal with those days where it feels right to stay home and in bed. Do you worry about the money? Do you worry about leaving coworkers short handed? Today is one of those days and I have to be at work in like an hour and fifteen minutes. I know what I choose but my guilty conscience is nagging me. These kind of days really suck.

You move forward and DON'T stay under the covers. More for yourself then for the guilt you feel for not going in.
The diversion of going into work is much better for your mind then not going. Even though you probably won't feel any gratification.
When I get into my lowest of lows. I make sure I am taking my vitamins and try to eat healthier. It helps. So does trying to get on a regular sleep schedule, though hard to do with crazy retail hours. If I can't get enough sleep at one time, I try to get some naps in when I can.
Good luck and remember it will pass. The warmer weather around the corner will help too. Be proactive and don't let the depression consume you. Get angry at it. Look in the mirror and say out loud "I am strong, and depression, you will not win! "

Not sure if anyone here actually deals with this. How do you deal with those days where it feels right to stay home and in bed. Do you worry about the money? Do you worry about leaving coworkers short handed? Today is one of those days and I have to be at work in like an hour and fifteen minutes. I know what I choose but my guilty conscience is nagging me. These kind of days really suck.

If you feel like this often, then I would seriously recommend going to a counseling center and getting some help. Some universities offer free or near free counseling, so that is something you could look into. Believe me, I've been in that same position, and I've even called out because I just couldn't motivate myself to be around people. Depression is nothing to be ashamed of, and getting help for it is a bold and courageous thing to do.

Your health should be your top priority. Dealing with depression myself there have been times when I knew it would be difficult to get through the day.

In the past I've tried meds but found they don't really work for me, but I know others that they do wonders for. Counseling isn't for everyone, especially if it's with someone you don't know or trust. It takes time for some people to work up to that point, I know it did for me. The key is not to be ashamed of it.

Forcing yourself to get on a regular schedule no matter what is useful.
It doesn't change the fact that you are depressed it just means you can function.
Exercise, sleep, work, eat, and doing all those things on a set schedule gives you the strength to fight through that fog.
Not all the time but more often than not.
Unfortunately retail doesn't make a regular schedule very likely.

Drugs and therapy are both very useful.
If you haven't tried them, I would recommend consulting a doctor.

Not depression but dystymia which is like depression but significantly more boring. Counseling helped. I was lucky enough to find a counselor I clicked with at my university. ACT therapy/the Happiness Trap also helped a great deal in learning how to manage my bad thoughts until I could a) get home and deal with them or b) get home and write them down to talk to my counselor about them. Also like PinkZinnia said just forcing yourself out of bed did wonders. Making sure I got enough sleep, making myself eat and shower made me at least feel semi functioning even when i wanted to lightweight jump off a bridge 24/7.

The schedule thing works week if you can manage. I have dogs so I have to get up well before I go to work. But reminding myself that missing work does leave a hole and shorts me money helps as well. I let myself sleep in or read for hours on one day off a week.

I suffer from anxiety. Man, you should see the look on my face if i get told to zone 6 departments in 4 hours straight. I look like a complete nutcase.

I have had days like this...its not that I was feeling lazy etc it was just the mere thought of being around people was more than I could bear. I am not saying that I have never called out due to bouts of depression...but for the most part I have made myself get up, get dressed and go to work. I know that if I give in to it and stay in the bed...it will be that much harder to get up the next day. Medication can and does help...don't be ashamed to talk to your Doc and find one that works for you. Talking to someone helps as well...whether its a professional or just a close friend.

Believe me, I was pretty depressed four years ago. Graduated college 6 months before, had a well-paying temp government job that ended (and everyone said "once you're in the government, you're 'in'"), switched to the early morning pfresh push team so I worked weird hours, hated my roommate, couldn't pay rent on time, loaded up on credit card debt, got on a final warning for telling lewd jokes, got in trouble for posting something on Facebook, did crazy things with strangers, cried randomly during work, hell I banged my head in a wall during work because I was so frustrated; was miserable, sad, depressed, and lonely. Almost jumped off a bridge at 5am on my way to work one morning.

Decided not to. Took maybe a year but things became much much better. I would have never been able to see what I have become now if I made that jump. I love my job(s), love the people around me, but most importantly, I learned to love myself.

I would promote the flu shots we offer at pharmacy. For 30 you can get a flu shot, or for a few extra bucks get the mist.

While doing an eye wink and a thumbs up.

Me too! I very territorial about my reshop and fitting room. I dont like to have Anyone else back there ( except for one like minded individual)

Evilsf,
Itwould also help someone who is depressed to find a way to help a guest save 5%!!

I don't know what went on....but I swear I posted my above comment in the guest coughing on you thread. Haha

I've been one that has bad anxiety and has suffered depression on and off in my life. Being around fun, happy people helps a lot. Also doing fun projects. I like to sew and paint. Some times, I'll redecorate my house or do a lot of reorganizing and cleaning. As weird as it is, it makes me feel better to get something finished and nice.

There will be days you just need a break from the world and that's fine. Try to schedule a day ahead of time and make a plan on what you wanna do. Then you can make the most of your day. But try to do something. Laying in bed will just make it harder to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back