Archived Did they short me on my raise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverMoving

Signing Ninja Beta
We've been out a signing TM basically since right after Christmas when our last signing TM was promoted to a TL position. We've also been extremely short handed in every area, so it wasn't until a couple months ago that they announced they were hiring for the position. I was encouraged my TL, my ETL and the previous signing TM to go for the position. I've been in need of extra money, plus I enjoy working on my own, so I went for it. They ended up originally not giving me the position, but their first pick ended up giving 2 weeks shortly after receiving training for better paying opportunities. Needless to say, I was very informally offered the position right after, and agreed without having a discussion about specific pay increase. Shortly after accepting the position, the $9 base pay was announced. I was not able to really jump into my new position with training and all until the week of reviews, so I wasn't surprised that they didn't give me my pay increase until then.

Here's where the pay comes into question. I was given an excellent during my review and my pay went from $8.25/hr to $9.76/hr. I asked during my review if that included my raise for taking the signing position. She wasn't sure and said she would get back to me. She told me later that yes, it was included. By that time I found out a a fellow TM (flow) who has been there 4 months less than me went from $8.25/hr to $9.67/hr. It seems a little absurd to me that I'm only making 9 cents more for taking on this extra responsibility? I enjoy the work (when I actually get the chance to do it!) but the fact that I could have just waited a couple weeks and probably received almost the same raise is frustrating. Help a newbie out, am I over reacting, was I just expecting to much? If I was shorted, is it worth bringing up, or is there no chance of getting a better raise at this point?

Weird, I wouldn't have thought the jump up to signing would have been wiped out by the raise but that's what it sounds like happened.
The problem with asking for a boost (and I certainly believe you deserve it) is you would have to admit to comparing notes with other TMs and they get shirty about that.
The sad thing is that despite all the added responsibility and the fact that at one time it was considered a Specialty position, not Signing Ninja is treated as another POG team member.

Yeah, I figure it won't be fun times if I bring it up. I'm thinking about asking the previous Signing tm what their pay increase was just to get an idea of what my bump really should have been, so I have an idea of what to negotiate for. Any idea of what the likelyhood of me actually getting it raised would be? Know anyone who has done it before? I just want to know if it'll be worth the trouble I'll probably be stirring up for myself.

Yeah, I figure it won't be fun times if I bring it up. I'm thinking about asking the previous Signing tm what their pay increase was just to get an idea of what my bump really should have been, so I have an idea of what to negotiate for. Any idea of what the likelyhood of me actually getting it raised would be? Know anyone who has done it before? I just want to know if it'll be worth the trouble I'll probably be stirring up for myself.
Our signing ninja is the same pay rate as myself as a PA. At my store that nets you an extra $1/hr minimum over base.

I would double check on your merit statement as well as on a Pay Stub or on targetpayandbenefits.com that you are listed as N09 for your pay grade. If you are, that seems lower than it should be.

Your ETL-HR has a guide that gives them exact dollar amounts for each pay grade, so I would let them know that it seems lower than intended and simply ask them to check in there to ensure you are getting compensated fairly.

Signing is $1 over base. Since the new base is $9 company wide you should be getting at minimum $10/hour.

Check your paygrade and make sure you are keyed as a signing tm and N09. If they haven't keyed you, you may get lucky and actually get the new paygrade bump on top of your current pay. That could be anywhere from .50 to $1.00 depending on what your old position was.

Last edited:
I would like to know how you can be maxed out on merit raises..that is what was put in the comment section on my review "no raised because of being maxed out

I would like to know how you can be maxed out on merit raises..that is what was put in the comment section on my review "no raised because of being maxed out
If you didn't get a EX or O you won't get a raise when your capped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back