Archived Discounts, Discounts, and ummm oh yeah more discounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so here are a few things I have gathered from my past work expriences:

1. Old Navy Employees= 20% off pants, 30% tops (sometimes 50% off denim if you filled out a monthly 5 question quiz and got your manager to sign off on it)

2. Kohl's Employees= 15% off everything

3. Generally All Movie Theater Employees= Free Movies (depending on how many movies you get to see for free depends on how many hours you worked that week)

So how is that Target only offers ( Which a bigger corporation then the above mentioned put together) it's employees a 10% discount. And yes if you happen to have a Redcard, it amounts to 15% off. However that just means you are getting the tax and maybe a few cents off (aside from big items like TV's and electronics, generally those were worth the discount). Just doesn't seem like much of a discount, and I am sure this has been brought up before, but thought it would be a good time to bring it up again, considering what all Target has done just in the past year. I remember there were those couple of occasions in my two years with Target, that we had employee appreciation week.

In which there was a letter/sign on the time clock from the CEO saying "For working so hard as an employee, take an extra 10% this week". I first thought, wow 20% off my entire purchase for a whole week that sounds great, right? Eh not exactly; when running the numbers and doing some basic math, I found out that it was not an additional 10%, well okay in a way it was, but it was 10% of 10%!!!!

I will admit that I am going to miss my AT&T business class discount that Target gave me, but I shall survive. When at my new job, they were going over employee information. When they got to a certain part in their speel, I said to myself "oh so that's what perks and benefits look like, I had almost forgotten" lol.

Anyways enough of a rant. I wanted to make this thread fun, and by that I will ask the question; if you could control benefits and perks, what type of discounts would you give to employees?

Discounts on recreational drugs?
Certainly make the job more bearable and interesting.

Kmart & Sears is 10%

Home Depot is 10%

At one point, I know some TM's were making money buying iPods and reselling them on eBay....

Someone could stack these for a great discount-
(Back to seriousness again)

A GSTL told me about how she scored a display clearance kitchen-aid mixer, and got a awesome discount piled onto it.

Use the Pharmacy Discount for completing 5 refills 5%
Baby Registry Discount card 10%
Team Member Discount 10%
Red Card Discount 5%

Combine all of those and you can get 30% off something or your grocery shopping. The baby card comes in the mail after you sign up for the baby registry and excludes electronics. Now I wouldn't do this dishonestly, it really is a one time thing. But that's one really great discount.

Honestly, If I were a company I would give 20% off the merchandise.

My BFF works at Penney's & she gets 15% off.
I miss the month-long discounts we used to get on house brands (consumables, clothing, etc).

Kmart & Sears is 10%

Home Depot is 10%

At one point, I know some TM's were making money buying iPods and reselling them on eBay....

Someone could stack these for a great discount-

Honestly, If I were a company I would give 20% off the merchandise.

That baby registry discount is only supposed to be good on items on the registry. Sure, a TM could fudge it, but we're getting into some risky territory there, IMO.

I knew someone who worked at Kohl's. They were super strict with their discount. For example, if you bought a size or gender of shoes outside of what you would normally buy for you or your immediate family, it was grounds for dismissal. They watched that very closely to keep people from buying for friends.

I knew someone who worked at Kohl's. They were super strict with their discount. For example, if you bought a size or gender of shoes outside of what you would normally buy for you or your immediate family, it was grounds for dismissal. They watched that very closely to keep people from buying for friends.

How would they know? Do you have to submit your sizes before buying them?

Walmart discount is 10%, but only on regular items. They don't get any food discounts or money off of clearance items. Also, I don't think that they get money off on items on sale.

While Target may seem cheap at a 10% rate, remember we get the discount on ALL items. We also get money off food. Discounts on Starbucks and food ave. And don't forget the discounts that are available for other business......like Dell computer, some tickets for concerts, hotel discounts, cell phone plans.....and a whole lot more.

By far, even the Target 10% TM discount is much better than most every other place of employment.

By the way, with Target and its retirement program (401k) we are vested almost immediately. Other places either don't offer 401k or you have to be there for quite awhile to be vested.....Walmart employees aren't vested until after five years of employment.

Target does have its downfalls, but I'll take their discount program any day!

Come on now! You are complaining about 10% off anything at Target as a bad thing? You should look at it as a GREAT thing, which it is.

Just the 20% off my smartphone plan with verizon (Pretty much $25) is enough for me.

That baby registry discount is only supposed to be good on items on the registry. Sure, a TM could fudge it, but we're getting into some risky territory there, IMO.

When you scan it, it takes 10% off the whole transaction. Even if that jar of peanuts or stand mixer wasn't on the registry. It also works at FA & Starbucks. You can also scan it multiple times the same day, just not after.

I think the discount is fair. 10% is the norm for a Discount retailer.

I worked for WalMart way back when they didn't give any discount to their employees, but they did give % of stock to their employees in our weekly check. Wish I had kept mine. :((

Now, I worked at Kohls around 6 years ago and we got 10% of of hardlines which included shoes and 15% of softlines. Then we would have employee appreciation days where we would get extra off along with our discount. The shoe size thing sounds wierd! Never had that. I mean what if you were buying for a gift? I enjoyed Kohls and would still be there if they had decent insurance for part timers.

Walmart didn't used to give the 10% on grocery, but they do now. Also, at Christmas they give an extra discount (can't remember how much) towards a big ticket item of your choice. And I think they also raise the discount for a few weeks around the holidays.

Now, I worked at Kohls around 6 years ago and we got 10% of of hardlines which included shoes and 15% of softlines. Then we would have employee appreciation days where we would get extra off along with our discount. The shoe size thing sounds wierd! Never had that. I mean what if you were buying for a gift? I enjoyed Kohls and would still be there if they had decent insurance for part timers.

Weird...maybe it was just at his store, but he said it was for all clothing and other items were also supposedly audited to be sure there wasn't any buying for other people happening.

When you scan it, it takes 10% off the whole transaction. Even if that jar of peanuts or stand mixer wasn't on the registry. It also works at FA & Starbucks. You can also scan it multiple times the same day, just not after.

hmmm. . .do you know if the wedding one works differently? Just about a month ago, I had to override something to give 10% off of something that wasn't on the registry. I know its not the first time I've had to do that either, but for some reason everything I'm thinking of relates to wedding registries, not baby.

Most of the ones that I have seen will be 10% off of the things left on your registry. It is normally good for one days worth of shopping. Although, I haven't seen one of those in a while. Recently it had been the create a registry scan so many items and then you get a gift card.

Last edited:
my previous employer gave a 40% discount (i worked in clothing). they wanted you to wear the clothes they sold, so that was the trade off. they also sent out free items each quarter to the store for employees. not cheap things, but like shirts, lingerie, jeans, etc. when a new line started up so we could speak about the product intelligently. we were all very well trained, and turnover was almost non-existent.

Dek, sounds like A&F, because I remember hearing something about people who worked there had to wear their brand of clothing. And I wasn't complaining about the 10% discount. As a FORMER employee , I was merely just explaining the difference between retailer and the perks/beenfits I get with my new job that is outside of retail.

10% percent tm.
5% percent on pharmacy.
5% on red card.
10% onbaby registry(not me).
then a few coupons....
did i miss anything?

Walmart didn't used to give the 10% on grocery, but they do now. Also, at Christmas they give an extra discount (can't remember how much) towards a big ticket item of your choice. And I think they also raise the discount for a few weeks around the holidays.

Yes, I think that you are correct. Walmart employees do get a significant percentage off.......seems to me that it is 25% or 30% off of one specific purpose. This extra percentage encourages workers to use their special holiday percentage.

I'm thinking that the percentage off is 30%.

My father used his holiday discount to purchase a new set of glasses from the store (lenses and frames) rules may apply to contacts that people sleep in. Does Target carry thesecontacts?

Hey...read my next idea'

while I'll agree that the 10% isn't the greatest, former job got stuff at cost but nothing to interest me, it's better than nothing even if i don't shop or even go into a target store all that often.

Does anyone remember way back when Target would close early one night near Christmas and have an employee appreciation night? We got an extra 10%, had Santa there for our kids and snacks so forth. Much like our now almost non existent senior citizen shopping day. Target used to be an amazing company to work for!

Whoa! Now you're goin' WAY back!
I remember store Christmas parties/team appreciation dinners, company picnics to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back