Archived Do associates degrees count for anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paidtosmile

Former Team Leader
Hello! In an effort to try keeping this anonymous, as many of my peers brows this forum now, I'm going to keep it short and be very sparse on details...

I'm nearing my associates degree (planning to transfer and continue on for a more specific bachelors degree.) In the mean time, are there any doors to be opened at Target with a two year degree? Whether it's a store, district, headquarters, or distribution center.. I'm just looking to utilize my two year degree and even possibly (and I know it's a stretch) be able to have a decent human living wage (gasp! The unthinkable) at target while I complete my remaining two years of school. I honestly do enjoy working at target for the most part, but the wage just doesn't cut it.

I was hoping I could reach out to you guys to get any information, stories, personal experience, or grapvine rumors about associates degree jobs within spot.

Note: I don't mind ridiculously heavy workloads and I'm willing to be global and resilient, but with the AE changes it doesn't look like I'll be moving from the bench into an actual team lead position any time soon.. So I was thinking more broad than just working within a store.

don't think associates will help you get ETL.. might get you on a succession plan though since they see you're going to school. Could help you get to TL/SrTl

I don't think you can get very far with an associates degree at Target.

I have seen a few job postings that require or prefer an associates degree.
If you really want to put your associates degree to use, then I would look at another company.

Thanks guys! I'm still going to work full time while going to school full time and I'm getting my bachelors degree indefinitely, I just wasn't sure on any short-term opportunities (or lack of.) thanks again :)

I just recently got my BS in Accounting.
Was asked if i was interested in becoming an ETL, told them NO.. i would tell them FUCK NO if i could.

I have an Associates in Business Management. It's a waste of student loan money.

I have an Associates in Business Management. It's a waste of student loan money.

You wouldn't be wrong lol. I did the two year program at a community college to cut costs. I'm transferring to a four year school to either finish out school with a B.A. in either marketing or human resources.

I just recently got my BS in Accounting.
Was asked if i was interested in becoming an ETL, told them NO.. i would tell them FUCK NO if i could.

Should do what most of the ETLs with a useful bachelor's do, take a position just to make a few bucks while finding a real job.

Last edited:
Could be worse, you could have an associates in a subject that doesn't transfer anywhere anymore from a community college that no longer exists that is more than twenty years old.

I wish I had done this for LPN. How hard could that be? Then I could have worked while getting the RN and would have a guaranteed job.

Without giving away too much information, I can say that I was hired on as a hardlines TM at over $10 an hour because of "experience pay", and just got a promotion to GSA and now make over $11 an hour. The other GSA's at my store make about $9, and the HL people make about $8.50.

Hello! In an effort to try keeping this anonymous, as many of my peers brows this forum now, I'm going to keep it short and be very sparse on details...

I'm nearing my associates degree (planning to transfer and continue on for a more specific bachelors degree.) In the mean time, are there any doors to be opened at Target with a two year degree? Whether it's a store, district, headquarters, or distribution center.. I'm just looking to utilize my two year degree and even possibly (and I know it's a stretch) be able to have a decent human living wage (gasp! The unthinkable) at target while I complete my remaining two years of school. I honestly do enjoy working at target for the most part, but the wage just doesn't cut it.

I was hoping I could reach out to you guys to get any information, stories, personal experience, or grapvine rumors about associates degree jobs within spot.

You need to tell us what your associates degree is actually IN.... depending on that, it could be worth more than a bachelor's.

For example, if you have an associates degree in nursing, IT, electrician, plumbing, welding, etc.... it doesn't mean jack shit to Target.... but with one of those fields, you could easily be pulling in more money than an ETL with their bachelor's in History.

Now, if you have an associates degree in something like business, sociology, psychology, etc. (an academic degree) it won't be worth anything until you apply it to a bachelor's program and actually get the bachelors. Does that mean that those fields are worthless? No, simply that a higher level degree is necessary to make them become valuable.

For example, say you get an associates degree in legal studies. Pretty much can't do anything with it. Does that mean law is worthless field? No, only that you need more school before you can practice that field. Now, if you keep going to school and get a full law degree (juris doctorate), you can easily be pulling in tons of cash.

That's what people don't realize who say that certain fields are "worthless".... no field in college s worthless.... it's just that most people never go and get what is called the "terminal degree".... the degree that actually lets you PRACTICE that field. Once you get the terminal degree, then you are highly valued.

So here is an example:

Associates degree in: welding, plumbing, IT, nursing, etc. This is the *terminal degree* in these fields. In other words, you can legally and professionally practice these jobs with this "level" (associates) degree.

Bachelor's Degree in: Nursing, accounting, IT, criminal justice, biology, chemistry, etc. This is the *terminal degree* in these fields. In other words, you can legally and professionally practice these jobs with this "level" (bachelor's) degree.

Master's Degree in: Social Work, architecture, public administration. This is the *terminal degree* in these fields. In other words, you can legally and professionally practice these jobs with this "level" (master's) degree.

PhD Degree in: Law, medicine, dentistry, optometry, psychologist, etc. This is the *terminal degree* in these fields. In other words, you can legally and professionally practice these jobs with this "level" (PhD) degree.

This is the critical error people make in saying that something is "worthless".... just because you have a degree in it doesn't mean that you are done. You have to go up to the terminal level. So, bachelor's degree in psychology and nothing more? You're screwed because you can not LEGALLY practice psychology at that level. Now, PhD degree in psychology? Instant $100,000 annual salary. Why? Because you can LEGALLY practice that field with that level degree.

@
stateoftarget11 The problem is that when people graduate with an associates with the intent to continue. They are so loaded in debt. They can't afford to continue on to get a bachelors. I would LOVE to get a bachelors degree, but time and money has prevented me from getting it.

Without giving away too much information, I can say that I was hired on as a hardlines TM at over $10 an hour because of "experience pay", and just got a promotion to GSA and now make over $11 an hour. The other GSA's at my store make about $9, and the HL people make about $8.50.

Definitely the exception to the rule here.

Definitely the exception to the rule here.

Definitely. At our store, GSA's are the ones that make around 8.50. HLTM's make around 7.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back