Archived Do Cashiers Clean Bathrooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are dropping the ball at mine - the bathroom gets worse as the day goes on - I've never seen it get better, lol.

ASANTS, apparently, but at my store, checkout advocates are being trained to be FOS attendants, which carries with it the training for blood and bodily fluids. This Is so they can take care of the bathrooms, specifically, because guests expect a clean bathroom at Target.

Our bathrooms need a remodel. The door locks don't stay closed and have been replaced so many times, I think at this point every door has a different lock. One of towel holders is broken, one of the trash bins is not attached to the wall, one of the sink faucets leaks and keeps breaking - time for an overhaul.

After our last remodel we got the self-flushing toilets, hand dryers & sensor-operated sinks yet we still get mounds of toilet paper all over.
People are just pigs.

It's odd how the women are the worst... perhaps it's the ratio of men to women that frequent Spot.

Reactions: DBZ
For some reason, they love to throw TP (unused... usually) on the floor. Guys don't do that.

I am a guest advocate who used to be a GSA and I still have to clean the bathrooms
All former GSAs were supposed to have their HazMat rekeyed to the old ST2020 (basic cleaning) before they were keyed as GAs and Training Meter migrated to Workday Learning.
ASANTS, apparently, but at my store, checkout advocates are being trained to be FOS attendants, which carries with it the training for blood and bodily fluids. This Is so they can take care of the bathrooms, specifically, because guests expect a clean bathroom at Target.
Definitely ASANTS. But the idea of my S&E Team doing anything besides ringing up orders and complaining..

After our last remodel we got the self-flushing toilets, hand dryers & sensor-operated sinks yet we still get mounds of toilet paper all over.
People are just pigs.
I agree with this sentiment. Only I apply it to Pizza Hell. Good lord are you that lazy that you have leave your trash on the table or worse on the floor instead of going a few feet to put in the damn trash.

As part of modernization, we all took hazard material training. Now cashiers open, close registers, do bathroom checks, sweep outside, etc. We also do carts when required and well as carryout and team lifts.

Don't get asked often to do it, but we are trained and expected to do whatever is needed.

I agree with this sentiment. Only I apply it to Pizza Hell. Good lord are you that lazy that you have leave your trash on the table or worse on the floor instead of going a few feet to put in the damn trash.
I'm sure those are the same folks who try clothes on in the fitting room and leave them strewn about the stall, inside out and off the hangers. People are lazy and rude.

As @JAShands mentions above, my district rolled back the training of ex-GSAs, though my old training technically hasn't expired. (Schrodinger's Cat is becoming an increasing theme for me in regards to Spot, and reading this thread proves ASANTS will never die.) So even though I am capable of taking one for the team with gross things, I'm not supposed to.

I go in and sweep the floor, flush toilets, etc. in the women's room and the family bathroom. So do a couple of GSTMs/Service Advocates/whatever when it's slow. The FoS attendants take care of the men's room.

Last edited:
As part of modernization, we all took hazard material training. Now cashiers open, close registers, do bathroom checks, sweep outside, etc. We also do carts when required and well as carryout and team lifts.

Don't get asked often to do it, but we are trained and expected to do whatever is needed.

Who are the we you are referring to? At my store, only the TLs and up are hazmat trained. CAs are too, obviously. I made it very clear in my interview that I will never clean up someone else's puke or crap.

Like I've mentioned in another thread, I've been asked to do carts about twice a week since we've lost a few cart attendants and while I don't mind doing it, I have to admit that I'm still nervous about cleaning up spills, especially if it's bodily fluid. Should I talk to HR about taking the hazard training again so I feel better about cleaning up spills? I'm pretty sure you have to be on the clock to take training and with hours being cut, I'm not sure they would approve of any extra hours for training.

Who are the we you are referring to? At my store, only the TLs and up are hazmat trained. CAs are too, obviously. I made it very clear in my interview that I will never clean up someone else's puke or crap.
Well, my store has done training and following guidelines. Yours isn't. Yet.

I want to clarify something. There are different levels of HazMat training and certification.

Everyone must take the basic one. That one tells TMs that they are only allowed to clean obvious food/beverage, as well as basic things such as sweeping up broken glass. The TMs can also help a chemical/bodily fluid spill by standing guard and helping direct guest traffic around the mess.

The next level would be for chemical spills. This is where Leaders, FOS attendants (formerly Cart attendants), and food service. These TMs would clean up a leaky laundry detergent or lotion mess. Food service gets this training due to the cleaners they need to use.

Lastly would be bodily fluids. This would be for the Safety Reponse Team. This would include anyone who is a key carrier (think of former LODs) as well as Assets Protection. Anyone who would like to be part of this can also partner with AP. We had a TM who was also an EMT, and they wanted to be a part of the SRT and received the additional training for it. These would be the same TMs who respond to Code Greens.

So to summarize: everyone has had HazMat training, but not everyone can clean everything.

Last edited:
When you say everyone, do you just mean people on the sales floor?
When I say everyone I mean everyone. If the store employs you then you are under this particular you umbrella.

And HazMat training has to be taken every year. That way if there are any changes the TMs will learn about them in their training. Mostly protects the Company tho.. by your TM numbers (which are sacred to you) you’re acknowledging that you have been trained to know what to do and what not to do.

Sounds like some stores were faking their Trainings Completion in Risk Console and I bet that’s part of the reason we now have Workday Learnings. All the move did was take away HRs ability to see what was coming up and key in Trainings.

You don't think spills occur in the backroom?

I'm sure there are epic ones back there. At my store, it seems like when the store wants everyone to participate, they mean everyone, except the advocates.

We had a horrible back room spill once. I walked in and it smelled strongly like animal piss. Turned out it was broken Febreze bottles (lots) and broken pickle jars (lots) and the mixed fluids smelled like animals. Glad I didn't have to clean that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back