Do we get paid double cause its a holiday today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thehomiesleepy

LA Street Soldier
Also I was asked to go in at 4am which is in a bit, any ideas on what they might have me doing. Work wise tasked that early I mean.

We don't get paid double for any other holidays, either. Time and a half, yes...but double? Ha!

Nope. MLK day is not a national holiday. It's just a day so rich white people can feel good about themselves. Sad but true.

Unless you lived in Arizona where white and black people had to fight for the holiday.
Come on you've got to know that's a pretty condescending statement.

I like the fact that this has turned into a day of volunteerism, where people go out and work at projects that give back to the community.

When I was eight years old my mom called me and my brothers in from playing outside.
She was crying and the news was playing on the radio.
We didn't have a television and this must have been a special occasion because she had cranked up the generator for the radio.

She said we wouldn't understand know but in the future this would matter.
We sat and listened while the newscaster talked about the assassin who had murdered Martin Luther King.
I realized even at eight years old that something horrible had happened, that world had changed for the worse.

The fact the Target doesn't recognize this is kind of sad.

One of MLK's most inspiring speeches on poverty.
It's worth the time, I promise.
Things haven't changed that much sad to say.

[video=youtube_share;L--vJg_gLew]http://youtu.be/L--vJg_gLew[/video]

Nope. MLK day is not a national holiday. It's just a day so rich white people can feel good about themselves. Sad but true.

8UlcjHj.jpg

Attachments

• anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg
    anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 87
My statement on MLK was not against black people or other minorities nor was it an endorsement of racism. I was simply stating the truth. MLK day has always felt to me like a joke and it's basically like "okay, today is MLK day so I have to pretend like I care and show people that I'm not a racist". MLK day and black history month excuses made by white people to make them feel good about themselves. Why should black history be just one month? Why should MLK only have a day? MLK day just seems like a fake insincere holiday like Valentine' Day.

Are you suggesting that we have 365 MLK holidays? National holidays are established by Congress, not all of whom are rich and/or white. I think you're looking for a slight that isn't there.

I don't know how old you are but your 'truth' is missing a whole bunch of history.

Read up a bit and you'll find that there were a whole bunch of those self same white folk (including Reagan and McCain) who fought the idea until it was inevitable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr._Day

But there were people who marched with Martin Luther King from the very beginning like George Takei and Harlan Ellison.
There were a number of white faces in those crowds, some who were beaten half to death by the police.

Like I said before the day has become more about volunteerism and less about racism which is a good thing.
Please learn your history.

http://fair.org/media-beat-column/the-martin-luther-king-you-dont-see-on-tv/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back