Archived Do you get annoyed when a coworker puts extra effort into dressing nice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so we all know the work uniform for Target is red and khaki. Me being the girly girl that I am, I don't like a lot of outfit repeating so I get creative with my outfits. Rather than just wearing a plain red tshirt or long sleeve with khaki pants, I've already worn different styles of red blouses/sweaters, blazer, hoodie, and khaki skirts/skinny jeans. I like to do my hair different styles too. I get a lot of attention from the male team members of course, but the girls (except one or two who complimented me instead) give me mean looks. One even sarcastically said, wow you really do dress up for target dont you. I don't think I'm overdressing, just simply making the Target uniform more girly.

So my question is, is it annoying to you guys that someone would go the extra mile to dress up to work at target because "it's just Target"? I like to look nice but if it means having female TMs and even some female TLs and women from HR give me weird looks, then I think I should stop..

Skinny jeans and hoodies is dressing up the uniform and ~girly girl~? Oh. Didn't know. Guess I've been dressing it up this whole time, then.

Jokes and sarcasm aside, a blazer seems like a bit much, but if it's not restricting your work, wgaf? No one wears skirts at my store except the religious people who always wear skirts and I don't even think it's allowed when religion isn't the reason, so I'd side-eye that. Other than that, nothing sounds over the top to me. Wear what you like, what's not against the rules, and allows you to work comfortably.

Have you ever had conversations with the women that give the dirty looks?

eta: I'm assuming you "dress up" because you like to, not because you like the attention from men.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear what you like, what's not against the rules, and allows you to work comfortably.

This. And I'd be one of those who would compliment you. I don't really care what one wears as long as it's presentable, appropriate (no shorts or short skirts), it's comfortable and you do your job well. If you do all of those, then carry on. I don't even mind if you really do dress up to get guy's attention as long as you're not causing trouble at the workplace. =)

With a soul crushing place like Target why would anybody want to try and take away something that somebody enjoyed doing? Oh no that person looks like they did not just roll out of bed lets make some snide comments. I saw this sort of thing happen in my old store and I never got it. If somebody wants to go that extra mile and feel good about wearing red and khaki I say more power to them.

I always enjoyed being around people who were able to get some joy out of the little things like making their uniforms a little snazzy.
When I worked restaurants we had a young woman who actually tailored the really unflattering one piece uniforms the kids had to wear.
I thought it was awesome but some of the people had nothing but snide comments.
Do what makes you happy.

Wear what you want as long as you're not violating the dress code. If your co-workers have a problem with that, well, too bad.

I'm always tickled to see someone dress it up a bit after seeing so many (namely girls) look so trashy when they dress for work.
Yeh, it ain't always fun working at the red house but that doesn't mean you should dress that way.
And I KNOW you can dress nicely after seeing you on your days off looking dressed to kill.

Can we get some pictures? :D No seriously those girls being mean are just jealous. I like seeing girls at Target dress nicely and compliment them all the time, see it gets this guy's attention. This thread could use some pictures. :D

Haha Sher yeah I realized hoodie and skinnies isn't actually "dressing up", I think dressing differently from others is more of what I meant since everyone else is strictly long sleeve or tshirt. I think some of you guys have it wrong, I don't dress nice for the guys' attention and it's not anything that's not work-appropriate. I dress like that because that's just my style, and I admit it's fun getting creative with the red and khaki!

Thanks for everyone's opinions though. You guys are right, as long as I do my job well, if dressing a certain way makes me happy, I shall keep doing it :)

I dress up for work everyday. 1) " dress for the job you want not the job you Have" 2) when you look nice, you automatically feel better and have more confidence...

This.

When I dress up for work It's a red polo (tucked in) with khaki pants and hair combed and slicked back with some comfortable and kind of invisible tennis shoes that sort of look like business ones and always clean shaven. I dress for success and I like dressing for the job I don't have and will never wear those Target t-shirts with the tail out lol.

Dressing this way gives you confidence and that carries over to the guest as well for them knowing that you feel good about yourself and confident about what you say.

I dress up for work everyday. 1) " dress for the job you want not the job you Have" 2) when you look nice, you automatically feel better and have more confidence...

Dress for success! I too feel more confident when I dress nice. More confidence means more redcards, which means your TLs won't bitch at you as much and everyone is happy :D

Last edited:
It wouldn't bother me at all. The only time I was annoyed with how someone was dressed was when I walked into another store and saw an ETL of GE or a GSTL wearing heels and complaining about how their feet hurt. And these weren't just some low wedges, these were like 5 inch pumps...

I'm only bothered when I see someone in logistics trying to wear nice clothing, especially in the backroom where you can pick up a crib that hasn't been touched for a long time and suddenly, you're covered in dust. Or you bump up against some equipment/baler the wrong way and now you have grease all over (and that stuff does NOT come off!).

One thing I've noticed, though, is that if you dress nice while on the sales floor, guests will think you're a manager. That can be a good thing or a bad thing.

At my former store, you could wear T-shirt and khakis. But ETLs wouldn't praise or give you the time of day if you dressed like that. You had to come in red dress or polo shirt & khaki to get anything recognition.

Last edited:
So hoodies are definitely allowed, then?

Red ones, only. Name tag on outside.

Good to know. Need to pick me up some plain red hoodies. It is freaking cold back on the line. Woke up to 34 degree weather and it definitely felt like that back on the truck line.

I'm assuming we can't have the hood up though. I noticed a fellow TM with one on every day since he started and he kind of hides inside it outside of huddle, which sorta pisses me off.

In the beginning I didn't wear hoodies, but some of my TLs do and some other TMs. A lot of softlines TMs have those merona fleeces that we have on tables right now (and every year). I only started wearing the hoodie because sometimes all my red tops are dirty and I'm too lazy for laundry… or I'm just layering because sometimes it's freezing in the store. I'm gonna "upgrade" to a cardigan though. They're on sale and there's a cartwheel coupon (+discount + redcard)

Alsoo, one of my ETLs has like a Target jacket… looks like a windbreaker or the top half of a sweatsuit (a sweat jacket?) so I think my store just might be a bit lax on the dress code.

I've destroyed most of my Polos and my shirts I got from Target things as flow team. You don't want to see half my red shirt collection... Maybe I could still wear them with a hoodie xD

Hey! If I did that, I'd look like a red+khaki female version of Jeff Corwin! ;D I want to be a zoologist.

I've found that guests respect you a lot more if you dress up for work. It gives off the impression that you're more experienced and know what you're doing. I usually either wear tucked in polo's, button up shirts, or a target fleece jacket that I have. Or if I want to mix things up, I'll wear a red v-neck with brightly colored mossimo crew neck shirts under it...it's a nice way to stray from strictly red and khaki while still following the dress code.

Last edited:
I don't get annoyed when someone puts in extra effort... I get annoyed when someone blatantly violates the dress code and wears a red shirt that openly displays a sports logo or a logo like a Nike symbol. To me, that's a lack of minimal effort. Plain red, logo-free tees are cheap, a good thing to wear until you get what you really want, that's reasonably close to the dress code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back