Archived Do you guys ever feel stressed out about zoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I try too hard to make things look nice and I end up zoning slower than I should, but I also feel like the LODs forget to factor in that there are guests who come up to us asking us questions. In addition to that, sometimes we are pulled out of our zones into another zone because a guest or another team member needs help.

I felt so down and disappointed in myself when my LOD came up to me today to tell me that I need to pick up the pace. I really didn't know what to answer when he asked what was going on, because nothing was going on. I was just trying to do my job as best as I could. I try my hardest to make sure everything looks good, but I guess I need to just blitz through zoning instead of trying to make sure things are in the exact right place. I really did try my best to quickly pull the products forward, but I was unfortunately still too slow for my LOD's liking.

I ended up skipping my break because I felt like I was so behind and it was giving me all sorts of anxiety. I hadn't felt that stressed and that down since my first day on hardlines. Anyway, I just wanted to vent this all out. Thanks for reading.

Unfortunately gone are the days where we could get a detailed zone. Believe me I know the frustration. Just do the best you can with what you have. If you're scheduled a 6 hour shift plan on only having about 4 to get everything done with all the interruptions. You work for Target, you are not saving lives. Please don't stress over this. It really isn't worth it.
Also learn your different LODs styles.
This one focuses on the first 8 feet and end caps. That one focuses only on base decks..wth. While another focuses on Pinterest on her phone at TSC. Once you learn what your LODs pay attention to you'll be fine.

I work softlines, not hardlines, but zoning stresses me out as well. My store is A volume and we're pretty much always busy. Between backup cashiering, answering guest questions, and occassionally covering the fitting room/phones or pushing CAFs its a lot to get done. I typically wind up skipping breaks to try and get everything done. My TL and ETL SF are extremely anal about the zone and I have been spoken to by them both multiple times over very minor details. I just keep my doing my best because I generally enjoy my job at Target and hope that my zoning improves to the point where I don't need to be talked to about it anymore.

Don't skip breaks, any of you.

Damn. Straight. Never skip a break and don't you ever feel stressed that you're not working fast enough. Deep down you know if your slacking off or if you're actually getting work done. Getting work done? You have nothing to worry about. If an LOD ever told me to pick up the pace, I'd lose my shit right there. Not because I feel like I'm royalty, its because we're not tracking ICBMs - we are making sure all the Honey Nut Cherrios are pulled forward. And that isn't something to stress over. Plus, they don't pay me enough to pick up the pace. When I ask for someone to cover electronics so I can go on my 30, do they ever pick up the pace to get over there? Hell no they don't. Treat me like a person and not a piece of machinery and I'll think about picking up the pace.

I feel you. I am still too slow for many of my LODs liking. Yeah, it took me all night to zone C which they say is "easy" and it shouldn't take this long. Well, I'm not a fan of just ripping things off the shelf that are two slots down from the right place, just to make the reshop that much harder later on. That is what the "fast" zoners (the LODs) do.

I have a panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and a processing learning disability (documented and on file with HR). The constant "pick up you're pace, it shouldn't be taking you this long" and the myriad of other sarcastic, snide remarks they make to my face and behind my back make me really anxious. I try to not let it bother me, but the fact that they know I have a disability (they were recently made aware of it too) which affects how quickly I process large amounts of information always bothers me. You do NOT make fun of me or others because of something I cannot control, especially if it is someone in a leadership role. That bothers me more than anything, I've seriously overheard two LODs in the backroom joking about it, referring to me as "that fucking retard". I'm not "retarded" or mentally handicapped. I have a B.A. from one of the most prestigious universities in my area, I made the Deans list every semester and graduated with a 3.9 gpa two years ago. Before my whole career was derailed due to criminal charges, I worked for the largest flight simulation company in the world. I don't feel the need to tell them any of this or prove anything to them. Like the poster above said, we work at target we are not saving lives. I don't really care if it takes all night because I'm helping people. If I was too slow at my previous job which did involve saving the lives of those who serve our country in the military, you better believe I would stress about it and do anything in my power to get better at what I was doing. I know I'm doing my best, but I cared much more about getting an important visual update to a blackhawk simulator needed for a mission rehearsal then I do about getting the barbies straight on the shelf.

Sorry, rant over. Never let them get you down, do your best, put in your hours and go home. Just remember that the shelves will only look nice for an empty store for 8 hours until we open again. Then it starts all over again...

I definitely did feel stressed, but those days dated back to when I first started there and wanted to do a good job and impress the LODs. And that was back when the LODs were worth impressing and working hard for. Once I made a name for myself and they knew I was an expert zoner and knew what I was doing, I didn't feel as much pressure and did whatever the hell I wanted, lol. No LOD ever dared to check on me. Even with the crappy leadership around now, I don't think they put that much pressure on people other than asking them to be sure to touch certain areas. At times I would skip breaks, but it was for more personal reasons and wanting to work rather than sit around for 15 minutes and be bored. But regardless, I always wanted to deliver a good zone whenever possible, right down to the last shift I ever worked at Target. It's a balancing act though, it takes time to be able to develop a good pace while zoning to planogram and deal with all the other BS associated with the job. What I'd like to tell you is that as long as you show effort and motivation, you'll be fine...but there are crappy leaders everywhere who don't care. They just don't allow for things to be done the way they truly need to be done these days.

Thank you for all your kind, uplifting, and motivating words! I'll be sure to pass them on to a fellow team member who feels just as stressed as I do (poor thing hasn't taken her breaks in a week). I guess we both feel so pressured to finish zoning because we're both on probation. Anyway, thanks so much you guys! I'll be rereading your replies whenever I feel down. :)

Don't ever let the zone, of all things, get the best of you. You are not being paid enough to stress about whether or not the peanut butter is facing forward. No one ever got written up at my store for their zone (including people who legitimately had a terrible zone and weren't actually doing anything). A lot of it is just scare tactics from the LOD. Our STL called it "cracking the whip."

Please don't skip your breaks. I made that mistake as a GSA because of all the things I also had to do. I wish I hadn't. Breaks are company mandated and often legally mandated as well, which means every team member has a right to a break.

Dont skip breaks from stress. I do it in the afternoon cause it's just too much effort for a quick sit most days. But if they piss me off, I dang well take every second owed me.

Zone is hard. Definitely ask the lod to walk it with you when you start or think you've gotten through most of it. Once you learn what each looks for you can focus on that style when they are there.

Let the snide comments side off your back. They do it to everyone as well as each other. Nobody is perfect enough. But you are a worthy member of the team as long as you are doing your best.

every instocks member, who cares about doing their job right is stressed about zoning... lol

Do you guys ever feel stressed out about zoning?

I have a tendency to superzone when I zone, but when leaders want me to join the CAF blitz in domestics, help zone the clearance tables in softlines, and respond to every back-up request, not a whole lot is going to get zoned. If you want me to complete my zone, then just let me zone, damn it.

I actually like zoning because I'm alone most of the time, what I don't like is when an lod wants me to do a 4 person job , yes I can multi -task but I'm not going to be rushed . . Another thing about zoning that bothers me sometimes ,yes I get its my job buts it's when the guest is watching me zone and still makes a mess uuuggg ...

nope, 1 guest with evil thoughts and there goes your zone.

yes I get its my job buts it's when the guest is watching me zone and still makes a mess uuuggg ...
This.
After folding the second side of a table in RTW ONLY to come around the first side & watch a mother & her daughter trash it made me want to throat-punch them both.
FFF, my a$$....

I feel stressed out about zoning all the time, when I know I have 50 other more important things to do..
-signed every PA ever.

I do like making my area look flippin Pfabulous tho.

Lol ..this...I hate closing because I have to zone the entire freaking grocery section which is the entire side of the store almost...apart from pulls it takes most of my night and its just exhausting

I stress about zoning, mostly because I am super anal and always want to super zone. I have to remind myself that being about to finger space is not something I'm always able to do anymore. As long as it's on the right rack/table, I call that a success these days.

To the OP, I completely understand where you're coming from. My 90 days are almost over, so I'm stressing whether or not they're even going to keep me because I always zone so slow. One LOD in particular always tells me to "pick up the pace" even though I work as fast as I can every single day that I walk into work. It's not like I'm slacking off, I'm just doing my job and it sucks when you feel like you're doing your best but constantly get complaints. It's really discouraging and it's stressed me out more than it should have. Just keep in mind that you're not alone. Zoning is hard when you have so many other things to do (back-ups, answering calls for your zone, helping guests, reshop, pulls, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back