Archived Does your store offer a competitive wage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where you live but the average sr tl is making around 30,000 at my store, which Is barely liveable in the area.

average pay for everyone excluding etls is probably 7,500 after taxes.

Lol one of my seniors tl make 54,000 a year.

yeah thats def not what sr tls make around here, its around 35 before taxes and those are the ones who have been with the company for 8 years

No...not at all...People can bag groceries at the supermarket right up the street for 9.25 per hr. We start people at $8. Sad...

Our state's minimum wage is going up in a few weeks. I got a bump last year when our store raised its start rate, so I'm assuming the same will happen this year. Of course you know what happens when you assume....

They bumped the minimum at my old store, didn't really benefit anyone who wasn't newish though.

No...not at all...People can bag groceries at the supermarket right up the street for 9.25 per hr. We start people at $8. Sad...

We have a union supermarket in our shopping center. Many of the employees have been there for decades.... and why not? They're making pretty good money. My first job was in a union supermarket and there were people there that had already been there 15+ years.

I love how they advertise the job positions as an "career." When the only two promotions a TM can be is a TL or Senior TL. If you want to become an ETL or STL you have to be working outside the company.
While promotion from TM is hard- at our store we've had 2 TM that I've worked with since they started with us that are now ETL's and there are also a few that were working there before I started but are now in Corporate office- one helps design the stores- they were my TL at one point. I've also had 2 STL's that started as TM and moved up. It isn't easy though- as we all know you have to take a lot of crap....

I love how they advertise the job positions as an "career." When the only two promotions a TM can be is a TL or Senior TL. If you want to become an ETL or STL you have to be working outside the company.
While promotion from TM is hard- at our store we've had 2 TM that I've worked with since they started with us that are now ETL's and there are also a few that were working there before I started but are now in Corporate office- one helps design the stores- they were my TL at one point. I've also had 2 STL's that started as TM and moved up. It isn't easy though- as we all know you have to take a lot of crap....

This. Also, the way my previous STL described it.. You have a lot more to answer to when you try promoting internally from TM>TL>ETL+. You have your store's service scores, sales, conversion, etc etc. There's a lot more for interviewers to grill you on internally, versus applying as an external applicant who knows nothing about target.

Icanhazjob.jpg

Will say (at least where I am) the RDC's do an annual competitive wage survey through an outside company with many of the other local warehouses and DC's. Problem is, when we get a raise from that, it usually results in increased common expectation of production, meaning I need to break my back just that much harder in order for the company to justify the raise.

Lol being an ETL doesn't require an MBA, they might actually have some useful skills gained from their college experience that way. You can be an ETL with a BA in underwater basketweaving.

I don't know where you live but the average sr tl is making around 30,000 at my store, which Is barely liveable in the area.

I think people do not understand the real definition of "liveable wage." It does not mean a single person apartment/home, car payment, cable and smart phone. The last year I worked full time hours at Target I made roughly 34k. I live in one of the most expensive states to live in also. I know that is very high for team members and about average for team leaders so maybe I am not the best example but it is def liveable.

A 78-80 hour paycheck after taxes, health insurance and 5% 401k was taken out was about $1025.

There are plenty of housing options and plenty of people looking for roommates in my area because of the high cost of living. There were plenty of people looking for roommates to share an apartment or a room in a home for $400-600 a month utilities included, decent areas also, I could go cheaper if I wasnt a wimp. I have a decent car for $200 a month and a glorified cell phone for $100. Obviously there is gas, food and entertainment cost but I still had money left over at the end of the month. This to me is very comfortable, not ideal as I would love to have a nice house, nice car and never have to worry about money but this is def liveable.

If you can not live of 30k as a single person you are doing something very wrong.

Yep...as full time, I won't make 15K this year. A hole in the wall apartment in an unsafe neighborhood in my town would cost me 3/4 of my monthly income.

Please explain to me how I can live on 15K as a single person...I would love to hear this.

I'm working roughly 30 hours a week while going to college full time and I'm in the same exact predicament. It's impossible even with a roommate to get a two bedroom apartment unless it's in low income housing which has a waiting list of roughly 6-8 months in my area.

I barely scraped past 14K last year working an average of 32 hours a week WITHOUT benefits being taken out. Hell, there are times where I barely get by paying for my car and my phone.

I think people do not understand the real definition of "liveable wage." It does not mean a single person apartment/home, car payment, cable and smart phone. The last year I worked full time hours at Target I made roughly 34k. I live in one of the most expensive states to live in also. I know that is very high for team members and about average for team leaders so maybe I am not the best example but it is def liveable.

A 78-80 hour paycheck after taxes, health insurance and 5% 401k was taken out was about $1025.

There are plenty of housing options and plenty of people looking for roommates in my area because of the high cost of living. There were plenty of people looking for roommates to share an apartment or a room in a home for $400-600 a month utilities included, decent areas also, I could go cheaper if I wasnt a wimp. I have a decent car for $200 a month and a glorified cell phone for $100. Obviously there is gas, food and entertainment cost but I still had money left over at the end of the month. This to me is very comfortable, not ideal as I would love to have a nice house, nice car and never have to worry about money but this is def liveable.

If you can not live of 30k as a single person you are doing something very wrong.

Your $34k a year would put you at around $16.35/hr. That is not just "very high" for TMs, that's beyond topped out for most parts of the country and more than double the starting pay of TMs in my area. Hell, most TLs don't even make that much at my store. The starting pay for a TL is $11.50-$12 (or add $3 if promoted from TM) and tops out at around $18.50.

Don't get me wrong guys I am not knocking the living wage debate at all. I just was trying to prove a point that their # of 30k is more than enough even in the pricery areas of the country and if it is not you are doing something wrong.d The term living wage gets thrown around way to liberally and I dont think people really know what it means or what that number would be. Even in NYC one of the most expensive places to live the living wage is like $12-13 an hour. On the other hand the living wage in a place like Arkansas is only $7.05 an hour so by their standards means if you are getting paid minimum wage you should be ok.

I did find this though it was pretty interesting
http://livingwage.mit.edu/

It breaks down what the living wage by where you live.

Yep...as full time, I won't make 15K this year. A hole in the wall apartment in an unsafe neighborhood in my town would cost me 3/4 of my monthly income.

Please explain to me how I can live on 15K as a single person...I would love to hear this.

I rented a 4 bedroom townhouse with some roommates that was $1650 a month utilities included. It was not the best of areas but it was far from not safe just a working class area. When your making $8 or $9 an hour my cut of $425 a month was still a good chunk of change but I was able to get by.

Don't get me wrong guys I am not knocking the living wage debate at all. I just was trying to prove a point that their # of 30k is more than enough even in the pricery areas of the country and if it is not you are doing something wrong.d The term living wage gets thrown around way to liberally and I dont think people really know what it means or what that number would be. Even in NYC one of the most expensive places to live the living wage is like $12-13 an hour. On the other hand the living wage in a place like Arkansas is only $7.05 an hour so by their standards means if you are getting paid minimum wage you should be ok.

That link is fascinating. According to it, I am over $1/hour under the living wage, if I were able to consistently get 40 hours a week (I'm not). But I don't get why it has my state's minimum wage wrong. Not a huge deal, but still...

Your $34k a year would put you at around $16.35/hr. That is not just "very high" for TMs, that's beyond topped out for most parts of the country and more than double the starting pay of TMs in my area. Hell, most TLs don't even make that much at my store. The starting pay for a TL is $11.50-$12 (or add $3 if promoted from TM) and tops out at around $18.50.

My GSTL (not a Sr) makes more than any of these numbers you have thrown out.

I get it the economy sucks, there are no jobs it took me 3 years after graduating college to get a job that actually required to go to college. That being said though a job that the only requirement to get is that you are 16 in my opinion should not pay enough for you to be able to afford to live alone. Not to mention if fast food or retail paid enough that their lowest level workers could afford to live alone apartments and housing would quickly dry up causing inflation of those places and we end up in the same place anyway. Work hard, get promoted, take advantage of tuition reimbursement get promoted further or use that newly paid for college education and get a desk job. It wasnt easy but that is what I had to do.

Looking at that, the first thing I notice is the lack of utility costs unless they are going to claim that's part of the housing. In which case, it's seriously low-balled. That site claims ~$625 for housing in my area. The average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is actually higher than that. Now, since we're looking at minimalistic terms of "living" on that site, we'll look at the low end of the spectrum which is ~$500. That leaves $125 for electricity, water, and gas. Being Texas, you can guarantee that electricity is going to easily be $100 for air conditioning unless your apartment has newer units (it won't).

Next, auto expenses of $325. This is realistic only if you don't have a car payment. A low end car payment is around $200 per month. Insurance and gas EASILY make up the difference, not to mention the maintenance. If you're knowledgeable and have tools, you can do some of that yourself. Oh wait, most apartments don't like you working on your car in their lot and can get you evicted.

Medical $125, that can pay the premium for medical insurance and nothing else. A single doctor visit throws that out the window.

The tax amount is wrong too. It claims that the required income is $19,200 before taxes but doesn't mention if that's gross or taxable income (post deductions). If it's the figure for taxable income, it's $400 short based on IRS tax tables (tax for $19,200 is $2,438, the site claims $2,078). However it's probably gross income because that's simpler to figure out. $19,200 gross means only $9,200 is subject to income tax which comes to ~$940. While this looks significantly better, that's not counting the 7.65% tax rate for SS and Medicare which is NOT reduced by deductions. That adds another $1,468 worth of taxes from checks for a total of $2408 which is still much higher than the $2078 the site claims.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back