Archived Don't want to cashier any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working at Target for a little over a year and started as a cashier. During last holiday season I was talked into helping as a cart attendant and I've been doing that as well since then. I also have been backroom trained and get the occasional shift there. I would say my shifts are as follows:

Cashier 55%
Carts 40%
Backroom 5%

Now, like lots of you I assume, I really hate being cashier, so much so that I would be fine with taking less hours if it meant I would only do carts or BR. The problem is I don't think it would look too good if I told a higher up that I don't want to do a certain job anymore. So I guess my questions are:

Is it possible to eliminate all or most of my cashier shifts?
Is it even worth asking or would this cause more harm than good?
How would I even go about doing this?

Would also like the slightly less hours so I can pick up a 2nd job but I probably shouldn't mention that huh?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

tl;dr No more cashier is such a thing even possible?

Yes! Don't say anything about 2nd job. Look for positions open list on the wall next to your break room. Apply for one on ehr or talk to the etl for that section. That get the wheels rolling.

Welcome to The Break Room.

Also talk to HR about cross training to other departments (you don't have to say directly that you are sick and tired of cashiering but that kind of makes it clear).

Agreed cross train in multiple depts. In reality all departments have some sort of pressure. Anything from not enough payroll for hours. To high demand goals

Food Ave. If you are good at it and work hard. It is great with hours. Only bad thing is that, once you get in there, the Execs don't want you to leave.

Salesfloor isn't too hard to learn but it has its pressures. The only bad part of it is having the pressure to finish your zone and clear the buttons. And Electronics has the pressure of attachment scores and some with Red Cards.

Agreed cross train in multiple depts. In reality all departments have some sort of pressure. Anything from not enough payroll for hours. To high demand goals

Food Ave. If you are good at it and work hard. It is great with hours. Only bad thing is that, once you get in there, the Execs don't want you to leave.

Salesfloor isn't too hard to learn but it has its pressures. The only bad part of it is having the pressure to finish your zone and clear the buttons. And Electronics has the pressure of attachment scores and some with Red Cards.

You forgot about the pressure to answer calls for backup when you're on the salesfloor. And, it always seems that the worse your zone and reshop is the more you'll get called for backup.

We have at least one BR spot that turns over frequently, so it shouldn't take too long to get on back there.

True.

From what I remember, it was basically a rotation basis at my former store since Soft and Hardlines only had at most 2 TMs for each side then Electronics TM + just one closing TL for the entire salesfloor. So back up consisted of sending two TMs, one from each side, at most. Forget it if someone was on lunch.

The one thing good thing about FA was that you worked by yourself. Especially opening shifts with really no rush until lunch time. For closing, your tend to clean up after a lack luster opening TM.

It sounds like your primary workcenter is cashier, even though you've been trained in other areas. Ask HR to change your primary workcenter to something other than cashing.

At my store... if you cross train in market... you are looking at 30-37 hours a week... Its amazing how many people have tried and quit over here...
haha....Whats funny is that there are literally only 3-4 of us... and we are OUT selling Hardlines and Softlines... (hardlines has maybe 7-8 a day and softlines i have no clue, i hate softlines)(Pfresh store)

Eat it <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back