Drive up/order pickup issues

Let’s see, at my store it’s multiple bags in an order that don’t have labels on all of them. It’s putting fresh produce in with chicken. How about broken items or tubs without lids? That’s a favorite. Oh, frozen foods in the cooler and cooler items in the freezer. Yes, I take the time to look up the TM that picked the opu and then partner with the ff TL.

Handling 10000+ items between a team of 5 and trying to complete them all in under 2 minutes with 30+ drive ups here or on the way causes mistakes. Mistakes happen because we are always under staffed. If you work drive up you would understand.
Our store isn't properly setup to drive ups to be done efficiently.

We are getting a remodel this summer but I don't think this will alleviate this.

Our store should have completely closed the Target Cafe and put all the OPU and drive up away from the cashier lanes.

To be honest everything target has done regarding drive ups doesn’t make sense. Why put the coolers at one end of the front and non fridge items all the way over on the other side. Why isn’t the app tied to navigation that shows when they leave and actually arrive ( Walmart does). Why isn’t there a dedicated drive up dDOOR for Tm’s (Walmart does) to go in & out of. Instead of putting useless whiteboards on a 2 tier give me a door.

I literally do not understand why they moved dry grocery out of our cooler opu hold area. It is so dumb to have a full grocery order but have to go to 2 locations to grab it. Everything used to be in one spot and it was a lot less hassle in making the 2 minute goal time.

Why put the coolers at one end of the front and non fridge items all the way over on the other side.
not all store layouts are the same and not all stores have internal infrastructure to support this sort of stuff without a remodel, which is expensive
Why isn’t the app tied to navigation that shows when they leave and actually arrive ( Walmart does).
it is, but people can turn off geolocation on their phone pretty easily nowadays
Why isn’t there a dedicated drive up dDOOR for Tm’s (Walmart does) to go in & out of. Instead of putting useless whiteboards on a 2 tier give me a door.
see the first part of my comments. remodels are expensive, but a lot of stores are getting them

To be honest everything target has done regarding drive ups doesn’t make sense. Why put the coolers at one end of the front and non fridge items all the way over on the other side. Why isn’t the app tied to navigation that shows when they leave and actually arrive ( Walmart does). Why isn’t there a dedicated drive up dDOOR for Tm’s (Walmart does) to go in & out of. Instead of putting useless whiteboards on a 2 tier give me a door.
Everything you mentioned my store has . All drive opu order including coolers and freezers is all in one room . That same room has an door going out to the drive up parking . No tm needs to go back thru the store entrance door .

Everything you mentioned my store has . All drive opu order including coolers and freezers is all in one room . That same room has an door going out to the drive up parking . No tm needs to go back thru the store entrance door .
My store is over 25 years old and even with the supposed major remodel coming up I doubt if they can put in a USEFUL drive up lane.

I wouldn't be surprised if Target goes to the neighboring town and decides to just build a new store instead.

Last edited:
My store is over 25 years old and even with the supposed major remodel coming up I doubt if they can put in a USEFUL drive up lane.

I wouldn't be surprised if Target goes to the neighboring town and decides to just build a new store instead.
That would suck

You’re lucky. Most stores don’t have this, and the only stores that do are either high volume or just recently got remodeled.

Same here. We have our own door and a walk in cooler and freezer designated for driveup and order pickup. Our opu room is also connected to our backroom so we can expand whenever it’s necessary. I know we were a test store and many stores are slowly getting what we have. At the same time however it doesn’t make sense to remodel a low volume store when a bigger store does 4 times the amount of items in a day. They should perfect the top stores before remodeling the lower stores. It doesn’t make sense however for a store to have fridges on one side. If a store has multiple entrances and is considered a super target it should definitely have its own door and designated opu room and walk in coolers and freezers because drive up is only going to get bigger and bigger.

Same here. We have our own door and a walk in cooler and freezer designated for driveup and order pickup. Our opu room is also connected to our backroom so we can expand whenever it’s necessary. I know we were a test store and many stores are slowly getting what we have. At the same time however it doesn’t make sense to remodel a low volume store when a bigger store does 4 times the amount of items in a day. They should perfect the top stores before remodeling the lower stores. It doesn’t make sense however for a store to have fridges on one side. If a store has multiple entrances and is considered a super target it should definitely have its own door and designated opu room and walk in coolers and freezers because drive up is only going to get bigger and bigger.
Agree. Our opu/drive up is right in the front next to the parking .

Our store can't expand due to all the businesses located nearby.

Our property line basically ends 10 feet from the back of the building.

The thing is I assume when they built the store there was nothing behind them so they wanted to save a few bucks.

Back