Archived Elimination period for maternity leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catalina

Bullseye Biatch!
Anybody here from michigan who's gotten maternity leave from Target? I finally got around to calling the benefite hotline(hooray I'm getting 10 weeks at full pay!), however the representative told me there something called an elimination period(a period of time after the birth before they can start paying out benefits), but had no idea what the wait time is in Michigan, so figured I'd ask here since I cant seem to find the answer online. Anybody know?

Anybody here from michigan who's gotten maternity leave from Target? I finally got around to calling the benefite hotline(hooray I'm getting 10 weeks at full pay!), however the representative told me there something called an elimination period(a period of time after the birth before they can start paying out benefits), but had no idea what the wait time is in Michigan, so figured I'd ask here since I cant seem to find the answer online. Anybody know?
I have no idea, but I would t even bother with the benefit center. I had to call three times and twice the rep said all I got was the 4 weeks paid and not the 12 unpaid bonding time via Fmla. They not know crap. (Sorry just super frustrated with them)

I have no idea, but I would t even bother with the benefit center. I had to call three times and twice the rep said all I got was the 4 weeks paid and not the 12 unpaid bonding time via Fmla. They not know crap. (Sorry just super frustrated with them)

I'm sorry they sucked with you. The guy I got was great. He said I can take up to 12 weeks off(which I'll be doing) and that my 1st ten are paid at 100% I really hope that wasn't wrong. I know length of time with target does affect what they'll pay you though (I'll have been with target just over four years once baby comes.

I've been on maternity leave twice while working at Target and never heard of the term elimination period. No idea what it is. It could be something new introduced in the last two years if it's legit. With my first baby, my leave/benefits started the day I had the baby, with my second I started my leave/benefits the week before. No waiting after baby had arrived.

Congratulations!
Short term disability (6 to 8 weeks depending) starts at the baby's birth with 4 weeks Family Leave following. Perhaps they meant the time before the actual birth when you aren't working?

My leave starts on my due date, so I'm really not sure.

Short term disability doesn’t start immediately, usually it’s a week or two depending on the plan. You aren’t considered disabled unless you can’t work for a certain period of time, so the logic is that you aren’t disabled the first week or two. Otherwise people would be milking the benefit when they have the flu.

Call them back to confirm.
They didnt know the first time so I doubt they would the second time. I understand what the elimination period is, I'm just wondering what it is for Michigan, which leave and benefits did not know.

Short term disability doesn’t start immediately, usually it’s a week or two depending on the plan. You aren’t considered disabled unless you can’t work for a certain period of time, so the logic is that you aren’t disabled the first week or two. Otherwise people would be milking the benefit when they have the flu.

With my first baby my leave was supposed to start on my due date. I had the baby four days before that so when the benefits center called two days after my due date to see whether the baby had come yet, I told them the actual DOB and they moved my leave to start on that date. Started right away.

Contact the equal rights division of your state. That’s what I had to do to get the right answer. I emailed them and they were very helpful in answering the questions that the benefits center was unable to/unknowledgeable of. Also nice to have that on paper in case hr gives you problems, you can just tell them to take it up with the state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back