Archived ETL's aren't allowed to wear name tags anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I was visiting one of my Target stores when I had an ETL come over to me to ask me about an issue with their display.

I noticed her staring at me from the race track and assumed she was a guest, so I didn't really pay much attention to her. I was pretty thrown off at first because I didn't realize she worked at Target.... She was wearing khaki pants, but had on a white shirt with some kind of red blazer vest thing on top of it. (Damn if I know anything about fashion....) She wasn't wearing a name tag, and really just didn't come across dressed like a typical ETL.

Anyway, I said to her "Sorry I wasn't paying much attention to you. I didn't realize you were a team member." then she told me "I'm not a team member, I'm a manager. We aren't allowed to wear name tags, and we are supposed to dress different than team members"..... I assumed that since she had no idea I worked for Target in the past she was using non-Target terms with me when she said "manager" and I said "You mean an ETL?" and she said yes. So I was like "Oh I didn't realize ETLs weren't allowed to wear name tags anymore." and she told me it was "strongly discouraged now almost to the point of being a rule".

So what is the deal with this? ETLs aren't supposed to wear name tags anymore nor dress "like team members"? I know obviously most ETL's dress nicer than TMs (like a button up red shirt or polo as opposed to a t-shirt), but when I left Target it would have been extremely weird for ETLs not to be wearing name tags. It would also be weird to be wearing the red vest outfit with the white shirt she was wearing..... So what prompted this change?

Our ETLs wear their name tags.....our District manager does, too. We had an HRBP come in about a week ago and I'm pretty sure that she had on her name tag.

In fact, yesterday my STL came to GS with a guest needing some assistance. The STL had his tag on.

Perhaps you ran into a new ETL and she had forgotten her name tag?!

At our Target everyone has to have their badges on. TL's and up get two, one for their waist with a clip (to scan the door things) and one to wear.

what is so discouraged about a name tag? last time i checked, showing your name tag was apart of being "fast, fun and friendly" and ready to help guests.

what is so discouraged about a name tag? last time i checked, showing your name tag was apart of being "fast, fun and friendly" and ready to help guests.

I think of it as a way for guests to easily name you if they wanted to complain or give you recognition.

That sounds really hinkey.
Name tags are part of the uniform doesn't matter if you are a TM or an ETL.

I've heard of thieves copying the dress code before while sizing up a store. If she was talking to you while you were working on the console display she might have been trying to figure it out.

Unless of course she actually is an ETL, in which case I wish that store luck.

The only people I heard of that are not allowed to wear name tags are AP.

I wish ETLs still had the ETL-<Work Center> title on their name tags. Guests would bug them more.

All of my AP wear nametages. ETL and TPS.

APS, and Investigations, obviously not, but uniformed store personnel do.

Strange.... Well, this ETL looked about 22 years old and definitely had the "I'm the god of this Target store" attitude going on..... So maybe she didn't want to "look like TMs" to appease her ego or something.

I've heard of thieves copying the dress code before while sizing up a store. If she was talking to you while you were working on the console display she might have been trying to figure it out.

Unless of course she actually is an ETL, in which case I wish that store luck.
You might have something here....

I was told at orientation that we are required to wear our name tags at all times (when we're on the clock, obviously). Break or lunch, we were told we should take them off.

I think of it as a way for guests to easily name you if they wanted to complain or give you recognition.

This is precisely the reason why I don't wear my name tag at my other job, where my boss couldn't care less because he cares more about our privacy.

I hate when people start talking to me and use my name 5 times while I'm ringing them up, simply because I have a name tag on. One time I forgot it, so one jerk kept calling me "no name." Anyway, it's creepy and I really want to ask them why they feel the need to do it.

I hate when people start talking to me and use my name 5 times while I'm ringing them up, simply because I have a name tag on. One time I forgot it, so one jerk kept calling me "no name." Anyway, it's creepy and I really want to ask them why they feel the need to do it.

In my experience, the people who use your name are trying to be respectful to you. Basically they know people are bastards to TMs all the time, so that is their way of saying you are a "person" to them and not a slave expected to do their bidding when they come in.

I call it name tag abuse, especially when some teenager does it like he's (it's always a he) got a magic button to push.

It has to be better than "50 shades of grey".

And this:

40950_1255556772133_full.jpg

I had a male guest who made a point of calling me by my first name over and over, and afterwards, I look down and realize I forgot my name tag....

{{{creepy}}}

eww. luckily having a name that is unfamiliar (not common) usually works in one's favor and most people will squint at it and not say anything. then there's the few that insist on stumbling through it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back