Archived Everyone wants a job but once hired they don't want to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thehomiesleepy

LA Street Soldier
They outcome of what you do is all in your head. Recently I've been reading posts about how cashiers have it so hard. Just constant compliant about how hard it is getting red cards. Target is not the only store where cashiers have to get guest to apply for a credit cards. From personal experience as a cashier at another Department store, target sets the bar really low. I had to get one credit app every hour, failure to do so resulted in a write up, 3 and you're fired. It was fairly easy for me cause just like picking up a girl, it's not what you say but how you say it. That negative attitude some of these cashiers have, it's no wonder they never get any red cards. As to even why they apply for cashier in the first place when there are plenty of other positions in target is there own fault. Yeah work sucks, but you make your own life. Wanna better job you should have gone to college. We all got complaints about work but let's look at things from a different perspective. You're paid to work, which involves doing what you are told. Maybe if you performed extra tasks when asked with a smile, never complained about work at work. Actually work hard, hardly if ever call out unless it's absolute emergency instead of doing so cause you wanna party. There are times I had to zone 2-3 departments which I finished cause I told myself I could. You lack drive, confidence, self motivation, go work at walmart.

I have to say my my former stores were varying experiences. My first store, it was fun to work there. You got recognition. The leadership went beyond to treat all TMs special or pump up store morale.

My other stores were more robotic and lackluster depending on the leadership. But the my final years, no one got recognition. If you had a college degree or had the years of experience, Target didn't want you. They wanted fresh new TMs to train and manipulate. Every new ETL that rolled in, you had to kiss up to someone new in order to advance.

RedCard conversions were a joke. You had to get 3 a day to keep green. But being a low/middle income metro area with a lot of credit card-phobia Dave Ramsey followers (pre-Debit Red Card), getting one a day for the store was a miracle.

The thing is lets say you come in work hard and then what? You still get the same crappy pay, you still see your hours cut because of things outside of your control, you still see your raises shrink despite the fact you get a great review. The only thing you get out of working hard is satisfying your own personal work ethic. I have seen so many hard working TM used and abused without ever getting anything for it beyond being burned out and then driven out. Lets face it if you loose your crappy paying job at Target their are plenty of other crappy paying jobes out their. Target used to reward you for working hard and going the extra mile, they had lots of incentives and you could move up in the company. Now, not so much. The old saying is you get what you pay for.

LOL.. but seriously?? Who really CARES about red cards? About conversion? About selling service plans? Nobody. At the end of the day, none of that affects your job as a cashier. Sure.. If you don't sell enough, you get talked to. If you do sell enough, they tell you to sell more. Even if you were a rock-star conversion champ (as I knew 2 people to be), all they'll do is keep you as a cashier so you can continue doing so and making ETL's/STL's look good. Otherwise, you'll get your 18cent raise at the end of the year just like everybody else and remain in the same place. OR.. OHMYGOSH... YOU *MIGHT* GET PROMOTED TO... *GOSH*... A GSA!!! A *WHOLE* quarter cent raise!! OH MYY GOSH!!! LOL.. what else do you expect from a company thats going to pay you a lousy extra dollar an hour x-mas eve (of course after 5PM though).. that's a WHOLE POSSIBLE POTENITAL OF LIKE AN EXTRA $7 IN YOUR CHECK!! OHHH MYY GOSHHH I KNOW WE'RE OVERDOING IT!!! LOL.. just don't look at the hundreds of millions of dollars NET profit target makes every quarter... You might get the crazy idea that they're not paying you enough.. lawls

Don't make the mistake of thinking that if you go to college, you will automatically be able to get a good job. I have a master's degree, yet I am working as a Target cashier, because that is my best option at the moment.

And yes, cashiering can be a tough job! It is not always hard, but during this crazy seasonal time, it is a pretty stressful and demanding job for not a lot of money.

I think the only challenging thing about cashiering is just figuring out how to retain as many brain cells as possible... because it's no secret that they slowly die off with every bad joke, stupid question, and incessant ranting b*tch you deal with during a cashier shift.

I picked up an 8 hour cashier shift today, and it took me a good half hour after punching out to get my brain back to a fully-functioning level.

Last edited:
First of all, I am thankful I am even able to work, and even though I do not work as a cashier, (sales floor)...it doesn't matter WHAT you make,as long as you do your job well. Every position you have can have positive or negative implications later on in life. Let's face it--we are working at Target, and no, the pay is not great, but in this particular job, when you leave your job for the day, you are done for the day--versus other positions that continue long after one "clocks out". The bottom line is this--if you don't like your job, do something about it, and if you choose not to, no one can be "blamed" but you. You never know what doors can open as a direct result of your work at Target. If you do not choose to do anything, accept it for what it is, and make the most of your time there. 'Nuff said.

From personal experience as a cashier at another Department store, target sets the bar really low. I had to get one credit app every hour, failure to do so resulted in a write up, 3 and you're fired.

My ex worked for Sears as a seasonal cashier. They were going to fire her for not getting enough credit card apps, but she quit before they could do so.

The thing is lets say you come in work hard and then what? You still get the same crappy pay, you still see your hours cut because of things outside of your control, you still see your raises shrink despite the fact you get a great review. The only thing you get out of working hard is satisfying your own personal work ethic. I have seen so many hard working TM used and abused without ever getting anything for it beyond being burned out and then driven out. Lets face it if you loose your crappy paying job at Target their are plenty of other crappy paying jobes out their. Target used to reward you for working hard and going the extra mile, they had lots of incentives and you could move up in the company. Now, not so much. The old saying is you get what you pay for.

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back