Archived Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions about how to handle the pressure leadership puts on me. The other day an ETL was upset at me while working softlines for not checking in on the other tms' zones. Few days later and I came in for a closing shift after most of the other tms on the shift, and my ETL was LOD. She had everyone wait for ME to write a break schedule and assign everyone a zone. That's a not a job for a tm as far as I'm concerned. When I do write the schedule, assign break times, and check in on people, I'm ignored, whined at, and just all around get attitude. And I feel I am very fair with how I do things- I ask other tms for their input, and I don't give myself the best zone/break times or anything like that. I think people are starting to resent me. I never asked for this; I'm a just a regular tm, I don't get it. And all this isn't happening because leadership wants to promote me. There's a ton of people with seniority, and my ETL doesn't consider me TL material from conversations we've had.

If you are serious about moving up I would keep working hard. Keep pressing and doing your best. Someone will take notice.

The alternative is to give up and prove your ETL who didnt think you could handle it right.

If you have no interest in moving up, explain to your ETL that you aren't getting paid to supervise other tms, and would rather not take on that extra responsibility. If you are, or think you might be, ask for some tips/training from your ETL.

I'm really not interested in moving up. I'm in graduate school and working at Spot works with my schedule right now. My ETL constantly tells me I'm too smart for this place and need to get out. Anyway, moving up is next to impossible at my store. I've only been there 2 years and they tend to promote the tms who have been there the longest.

I started as a cashier and that's what I want to do. I'm going to talk to HR about moving me.

Check out the swap book for cashier shifts. They're a dime a dozen at my store!

As for checking zones and writing schedules, the ETL and TL are pushing off their responsibilities onto you. I want to tell you to just say no, however, come January you may find yourself with next to no hours if you do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the swap book for cashier shifts. They're a dime a dozen at my store!

As for checking zones and writing schedules, the ETL and TL are pushing off their responsibilities onto you. I want to tell you to just say no, however, come January you may find yourself with next to no hours if you do that.

I'm always maxed out on hours so I can't pick up shifts w/o getting approved for OT.

Yeah, they probably will cut my hours if I refuse to do that stuff, but no matter how few hours I get I almost always wind up with 35+ at the end of the week due to getting called in or picking up a shift somewhere.

Who is calling you in? HR, or the TLs and ETL who are passing off their work to you? You could talk to HR about being scheduled in your primary work center, front end. If they ask why, tell them. I suspect if word gets back to your leadership, you may still take ahit to your hours. You know how low hours go in January.

Will lower hours be a problem for you in January? If not, tell them or HR you aren't comfortable or paid to do leadership work. Heck, I won't even do SD since there isn't any additional compensation for it.

Who is calling you in? HR, or the TLs and ETL who are passing off their work to you? You could talk to HR about being scheduled in your primary work center, front end. If they ask why, tell them. I suspect if word gets back to your leadership, you may still take ahit to your hours. You know how low hours go in January.

Will lower hours be a problem for you in January? If not, tell them or HR you aren't comfortable or paid to do leadership work. Heck, I won't even do SD since there isn't any additional compensation for it.

STL is mostly the one calling me in lately. My home workcenter is softlines, not front end. What happened is I was working SFS/pricing/plano almost every day for months and as soon as I brought up the raise I felt I was owed, HR turned me down and keyed me in as softlines, which I had been working before all the SFS/pricing/plano shifts. That wasn't what I wanted (I'd rather be front end if I couldn't be anything else) but I had no choice. The ETL/TL want me in softlines and we have almost no staff there.

Yes, lower hours is a huge problem for me. Like I said, I'll wind up with hours anyway. I've rarely been called in for softlines, it's usually for another area. Or I'll wind up picking up a shift from somebody else. I have told my ETL I'm not comfortable with doing leadership work, but she doesn't really seem to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back