Archived February PUSH ALL test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I made a prior thread some time ago asking if any other stores were doing a PUSH ALL test for the company, but I neglected to ask an important question.

I'm assuming a very low % of the stores are actually partaking in this test, but I was curious if anyone had any advice on how to break out, work, and process 2500+ pieces that will come to the floor directly from the truck every night. From bowling out, to cardboard, to backstock, etc. Any tips would be helpful! Reason I really ask is I'm usually stuck in GM, bowling the entire store out and I don't think doing that is going to be very effective. I'm already under the impression that I will not be bowling multiples of a single item unless it really needs to be.

I remember reading in some training or BP that bypassing the PUSH process is unforgivably bad. I always wondered that if the FLOW process was simplified to a full court push, would it balance out through significantly reduced in-stocks, research, etc. It would also simplify the backstock by either having all or no black line. It would possibly simplify the metrics like backstock within 24 hours, for example.

It would work better for food areas that come off the trucks as FIFO would be more consistent and easier on the Sales Floor and in the backroom.

I wonder if this would lean out Target's logistical Feng Shui if key processes between dock to POS where reduced or eliminated.

This could work in an ULV store like mine. We average 1800 3 times a week using about 15 TMs and FLOW is clocking out before the 6 hour mark. I schedule 2 TMs early to help me with the Autos/RSCH/POG pulls while the truck is being downloaded b/t 6a - 8a and bring in another at 9a to help clear the black line and bulk. by noon, all morning TMs are gone and I only have my closing CAF worker and a backup if the truck was heavier. Clean backroom every day unless POG or TL's dump a bunch of backstock on their way out the door in the evenings.

So in my situation, FLOW's task would be reduced as they aren't having to separate through the PUSH process.

If there was some way DCs could trap or group stuff coming off the truck, FLOW could just download straight to the floor with minimal line work which could significantly reduce time. Plus, we could schedule more accurately if we new that, for example, softlines or food was regularly in the back of the trailer, we could bring in TMs just in time.

Any saved time through a total PUSH to the SF could shift to the larger backstock workload but would it be enough to balance out?

I never pondered too hard on this one because I never thought it would be a viable option. Any other deep thoughts from other work center experts?

If there was some way DCs could trap or group stuff coming off the truck, FLOW could just download straight to the floor with minimal line work which could significantly reduce time. Plus, we could schedule more accurately if we new that, for example, softlines or food was regularly in the back of the trailer, we could bring in TMs just in time.

Hmmm... From the DC side I wonder if we could store merchandise by department then pull then ship by department. The more I think about it though the more I see it being a real big hassle and costing us more money then I think it would save you guys. The drop in cube percentage alone would probably end up making it not very economical.

Well, we just had the CEO walk our store the other day before we start this push. It was the first time he's ever walked this store in particular and we're I believe the only store in the region doing this test. Great -.-
We struggle enough with trucks that exceed 3000 pieces and since I seem to always be in GM alone bowling the rest of the store out, I was just wondering if there are any tips, tricks, hints, better processes I could adopt to make my life easier.

Hmmm... From the DC side I wonder if we could store merchandise by department then pull then ship by department. The more I think about it though the more I see it being a real big hassle and costing us more money then I think it would save you guys. The drop in cube percentage alone would probably end up making it not very economical.

What is cube percentage?

My district did this PUSH test as well after the powers that be thought it would be great to count everything in the backroom. The whole were not worried about filling the floor as long as the product has all the facings. The backstock during that time was astronomically high. Shortly after the first fix where the PIPO's were being entered correctly then, more was flowing to the floor. Our district started doing PUSH all's to see what would happen. ALOT went to the floor and didnt come back to the backroom. I think you will be shocked at how much will actually not come back. (forgive me I drew a blank on what the actual process was called now)

The answer to your question though process wise is normal, the flow unloads and still scans for push, still seperated as normal only difference is everything goes out afterwards. Still keeping this the same keeps your scan percentage up, doesnt confuse the team, you can kill the backstock side of the line which would open a few more people to help out with the bowling, pulling pallets or whatever is needed.
The backroom team would do autofills as normal and then would be on the floor working an area. We alway picked 1 area and just teamed up on it. We could get our area done before flow even thought about it, and nothing against flow, just the team at my store is not the best and they know it. Once the backroom finishes their area I would send 1 or 2 to the back to start on backstock, just so we wouldnt get behind. The rest of the backroom would hit another area. It's important though that the backroom doesnt get put into a big area like grocery, or Hbo-pets-chemical, because you'll end up with a row of backstock carts out your doors and onto the floor. Once everything is done any flow team that is backroom trained would help backstock and then its just normal process as usual at that point.
It sucks I'll give you that. Doing the first few times you'll get alot out, after that its redundant and adds to the backroom workload.

Hope this helps, been there done that and I feel for you.

What is cube percentage?

How much space is boxes vs air.

On the push all topic, there have been times when the PDA's had issues or the system was down an we had to push the whole truck. On these days, backstock was seemingly less than if the process had worked as intended. So in some regards it works better.

The only things not sent to the push side of the line was bulk or transition.

My district did this PUSH test as well after the powers that be thought it would be great to count everything in the backroom. The whole were not worried about filling the floor as long as the product has all the facings. The backstock during that time was astronomically high. Shortly after the first fix where the PIPO's were being entered correctly then, more was flowing to the floor. Our district started doing PUSH all's to see what would happen. ALOT went to the floor and didnt come back to the backroom. I think you will be shocked at how much will actually not come back. (forgive me I drew a blank on what the actual process was called now)

The answer to your question though process wise is normal, the flow unloads and still scans for push, still seperated as normal only difference is everything goes out afterwards. Still keeping this the same keeps your scan percentage up, doesnt confuse the team, you can kill the backstock side of the line which would open a few more people to help out with the bowling, pulling pallets or whatever is needed.
The backroom team would do autofills as normal and then would be on the floor working an area. We alway picked 1 area and just teamed up on it. We could get our area done before flow even thought about it, and nothing against flow, just the team at my store is not the best and they know it. Once the backroom finishes their area I would send 1 or 2 to the back to start on backstock, just so we wouldnt get behind. The rest of the backroom would hit another area. It's important though that the backroom doesnt get put into a big area like grocery, or Hbo-pets-chemical, because you'll end up with a row of backstock carts out your doors and onto the floor. Once everything is done any flow team that is backroom trained would help backstock and then its just normal process as usual at that point.
It sucks I'll give you that. Doing the first few times you'll get alot out, after that its redundant and adds to the backroom workload.

Hope this helps, been there done that and I feel for you.

Very helpful. I'm normally backroom for this and we're quite pissed we have to now do flows job and then backstock our crap. However, since our backroom members are also our best flow members (lol) I've been moved to the floor for the next 6 weeks since my superiors don't trust our crappy flow team to bowl out. I believe I'm a pretty smart and fast worker, but since I've been told I was moving to GM for this process I've been constantly thinking about how I can stream line the process of bowling everything out. I've considered flats or just bringing the palettes down the aisles, not bowling out more than what is actually needed, etc.

Trying to cut corners so to speak...

Yea my team gets pretty ticked off too. As far as bowling different things work for different stores, we use carts. Kind of like the horse shoe for repack break out, but throw the boxes in the carts for like 3-4 aisles then go bowl. If there isnt much freight we just work it right out of the carts, saves you a step or two that way.

Heh, we use carts too. I was thinking of maybe using a flat for the larger areas of the store, such as domestics, plastics/hipa, house wears, etc. since the trips can be longer then say...pets. I guess I'll just have to work smarter, not harder.

If you can think of anything else that you did that maybe you forgot to mention, please by all means suggest away.

Ditto what backroom dude said. As soon as the back room was finished pulling the autofills they would come out and push toys and sporting goods since they could finish that out quick. One would stay in the backroom to keep up with the backstock. We would keep moving people around as needed. The good backroom tm's that used to be on my flow team would push for me and those unfamiliar would backstock. At the end if help was needed several of my cross trained flow would help backstock. Had to do this several times when we couldn't acknowledge the truck for whatever reason and push the whole thing. You had to be careful with opening boxes though especially chemicals. Those we might leave out a pallet instead of bowling since there were a lot of multiples. I didn't mind pushing the small trucks under 1800 but bigger ones were not fun. No one on backstock side was another bowler and pusher. Truck unload went quicker too.

Have either of your teams pushed a 2500+ to the floor? Our trucks are rarely 2000ish and every now and then we see 3k+ (the highest I've seen is 3200). We often see 2600-2800's with a staff of only 16 or so ;\ That's why I'm thinking so hard about my own bowl out process and what I could do to better improve and shed overall time actually working it all. Makes it even harder when our Frozen trucks are often 300ish pieces with Dary avging 400-600 every night.

Any of you guys that did do the PUSH all test in the past get pushed to work MPGs right away when you bowled out?

Last night we started our first day of our 6 week adventure of pushing everything to the floor. The truck was 2600, with 1400 in pulls. FDC being 375 in frozen and 780 in Dary. Needless to say, we barely finished but before we started this mess our ETL's tried pushing us to work every and any aisle that is MPG. Flexing anything and everything out that was bowled to that aisle. I was the only person to speak up about how absurd that sounded and if they actually thought about the idea clearly or just figured it would work in a perfect world and on paper...

Shockingly, I won the argument...for now. We ended up ignoring all MPG's last night and probably will for the next few times, but it sounded like we will be doing them. Which still sounds completely ridiculous since all of SPRT is MPG, a ton in HB, and nearly all of DOM is MPG. It seems like it would just double our work load since we would end up flexing out product that isn't shelved, only to get it the next day and forced to reflex everything once again. I guess if we actually had enough bodies to do this, sure...but we all know how Target works and the amazing logic they apply and practice.

Any of you guys that did do the PUSH all test in the past get pushed to work MPGs right away when you bowled out?

Last night we started our first day of our 6 week adventure of pushing everything to the floor. The truck was 2600, with 1400 in pulls. FDC being 375 in frozen and 780 in Dary. Needless to say, we barely finished but before we started this mess our ETL's tried pushing us to work every and any aisle that is MPG. Flexing anything and everything out that was bowled to that aisle. I was the only person to speak up about how absurd that sounded and if they actually thought about the idea clearly or just figured it would work in a perfect world and on paper...

Shockingly, I won the argument...for now. We ended up ignoring all MPG's last night and probably will for the next few times, but it sounded like we will be doing them. Which still sounds completely ridiculous since all of SPRT is MPG, a ton in HB, and nearly all of DOM is MPG. It seems like it would just double our work load since we would end up flexing out product that isn't shelved, only to get it the next day and forced to reflex everything once again. I guess if we actually had enough bodies to do this, sure...but we all know how Target works and the amazing logic they apply and practice.

With the MPG's we usually seperate that all of the truck, the PDA usually tells you although catching that during an unload is difficult. Eithe way we would work it like normal freight. At the end of the evening either the Flow TL or myself would take the mpg discontinued report from the truck and insure it was all subt'd out of the backroom if any was backstocked. We would set it on the line with a priority clip on it and the dayside instocks, salesfloor would work it during smart huddles.
Now when payroll is tight I would find myself backstocking it usually 2 days later because noone had the time to work it, but regardless thats what your supposed to do with it. It is NOT the flow teams responsibility to do heavy ptms, there just isnt enough time.

With the MPG's we usually seperate that all of the truck, the PDA usually tells you although catching that during an unload is difficult. Eithe way we would work it like normal freight. At the end of the evening either the Flow TL or myself would take the mpg discontinued report from the truck and insure it was all subt'd out of the backroom if any was backstocked. We would set it on the line with a priority clip on it and the dayside instocks, salesfloor would work it during smart huddles.
Now when payroll is tight I would find myself backstocking it usually 2 days later because noone had the time to work it, but regardless thats what your supposed to do with it. It is NOT the flow teams responsibility to do heavy ptms, there just isnt enough time.

Thanks, that's what I initially thought. "Why are we doing this?"
I told my ETL's if we had the hours and the people, sure lets do it. Why not? However, yea....that isn't the case lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back