Archived Females not "allowed" to do carts???!!! Give me the vibrator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorurDreamcat

little Vibrator
wth is that all about. I was told that Females are NOT allowed to do Cart attendants shifts at my store???? Coming to find out, it was a rule made up by one of our ETLs because she is a miss prissy, lazy, weak and a complete witch . SOOOO what happens if I pick up a CA shift, and they refuse me that shift? Seriously, if you don't want to do that kind of work, don't sign up for it, but someone like ME that wants to work that ... why should I be denied? I need hours/money badly ...

If they give you trouble, ask them why they feel they can discriminate against you. If you're able-bodied and have a strong stomach (not to mention haz-mat training), there shouldn't be a problem. I'm a guy and I wouldn't want to be a cart attendant, but then again, hours are hours and every penny counts.

Well we don't have any girl cart attendants, but there is no rule at our store that says girls can't go out to do carts. Sometimes I'll have a female cashier to go out and push carts if they are willing.

I don't think they can restrict you from doing Carts as long as you are properly trained, otherwise it would be discrimination.

Last year for fourth quarter we had a female cart attendant. She was great and was one heck of a fabulous worker. I wish she had been hired on after the holiday season.....she wasn't because she had been in the hospital for a few days for severe bronchitis and missed some work. HR said that they never got an official doctors' excuse for her missing work. The CA said that her doctors' office said that they faxed the information to the store three times. Don't know who to believe. But I would love to have her back.

Personally, I have picked up a CA shift and it sure as heck is one tough job. Of course, the shift I picked-up was a winter one and the snow in the parking lot made it difficult to push the carts. Haven't picked-up a shift since, but I will help when the carts are low and there's no one on the floor able (or willing?) to get carts.

We did have a similar rule at our store, but it has since been rescinded. The rule came about after a rather high profile abduction of a female near where our store was in the early 2000's. We actually had a full time female cart attendant for a few months this summer before she left to go back to school. She was one of our more reliable CA's.

There's nothing like that after me & a coworker challenged our etl's and stl on being gender bias in work centers she wanted to do carts and the gstl's and gsa's backed her up but the etls & stl denied it & I myself had retail clothing experience b4 I came to spot but was told id be better for hardlines I challenged them on that and proved them wrong but since then all new hires for cashiers & salesfloor get trained in all areas regardless

They can't make that a 'rule', it just becomes something they do.
They know too well that they could be sued it they make it a rule, they don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to a reason for making it gender restricted.
So it depends on how hard you need to push but they will fold.

We had a GSTL at our store that tried to create such a "rule", but he didn't get away with it for long. I think it was targeted at a specific female TM he had issues with, plus he's an idiot. Anyway, have you spoken to your HR yet? Have you been told what the reason is? I can't imagine such a so-called rule can last for long if you make even a minor effort to push back on it because it's clearly ridiculous. Just ask all your leaders if the cart attendants push the carts with their penises and they'll back off fast.

My store has had a number of female cart attendants. One of our current ones is easily one the best cart attendants we've had period. She loves cart attending but hates cashiering because bagging groceries all day wears her out---go figure.

That's not ok, if they will not approve the shift because of that reasoning then you need to contact Corporate, stat.

During my front end yrs I did carts plenty of times when the need arose. I did it enough times that they never gave it a second thought.

spoke to the STL today and she told me that's not true.... :) Well she probably doesn't know the ETLs rules. Our STL was gone for a while because of her kid. So this ETL was power tripping while the Cat was out. I also said: Well I'm glad to hear that, because that would be discrimination. And she totally agreed with me .

spoke to the STL today and she told me that's not true.... :) Well she probably doesn't know the ETLs rules. Our STL was gone for a while because of her kid. So this ETL was power tripping while the Cat was out. I also said: Well I'm glad to hear that, because that would be discrimination. And she totally agreed with me .

It is discrimination. Your ETL should consider themselves lucky they haven't been fired.

Shoot, what with the cart pushers, anyone could push carts..

Now those of you that work back east.....YIKES! I feel for your CAs in the winter!! Our CAs are frozen solid when the weather hits below 50!

Now those of you that work back east.....YIKES! I feel for your CAs in the winter!! Our CAs are frozen solid when the weather hits below 50!

I had to help bring in carts in the winter one time. (I'm in NY, we get rough winters because of the Great Lakes.) We couldn't use the cart pusher (either because of the snow or it was still broken), so the CA and I had to bring in all the carts by hand. I had my heavy winter coat and thick gloves on, but I still felt like I was encased in a block of ice when I got back inside. I was never happier to see the GSTL at Starbucks requisitioning a hot beverage for me.

I can remember doing a carryout on a piece of furniture. (Gstls double as cart attendants in low volume stores)This truly ignorant man insisted I called a male to help me with the item. You can imagine the surprise on his face when a 16 year old skinny short dude came up to help. I just had my helper take the flat back in. Being a cart attendant has absolutely nothing to do with your gender. It is physical and can be quite gross. If I have a team member who wants to try it, more power to them. If they are willing, can handle it and are reliable I will give them a chance. I don't care if they are male or female.

Gender roles everywhere! And it's terrible! A capable person should be able to do whatever they'd like.

Women at the service desk, softlines and in the fitting room/operator. Men in the backroom and as cart attendants! Big intimidating guys and that one sweet elderly lady as TPS! Guys zone home improvement and sporting goods. Girls push in cosmetics and accessories!

The only time I ask for help from males specifically is when I have to lift something very heavy over my head. I don't think women have the upper body strength that a man does. Otherwise, I think its all about mind over matter...

One of my favorite ex team members once said "Nu-huh. The whole reason why your momma refused to shave her pits and strapped on those combat boots was so that you can get out there in the snow and push carts." Not sure why he got fired, but he did have a way with words...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back