Archived Finding out again that Target doesn't care about us (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was the 2nd worst day of work I've had in my 3 and a half months working for Target. So I came in to start my shift at Target at 3. There were supposed to be five of us there (2 SBTMs, current TL, person training to replace said TL, and me), but one of the TMs called out. So, the managers left 3:45 or 4, so it was just going to be me and one other TM until 5:15 (we usually staff 3 at a time on week nights), when a 3rd TM was supposed to start. Would've appreciated it if our TL had stayed late to help us get started on closing tasks, but nah. But oh well, two of us TMs can handle it for an hour on our own.

By 5:30 the third TM had not yet shown up, so we called her and she told us she'd been in an accident and wouldn't be there for awhile. Turns out she'd called Target at 5 and let them know. Did they tell us? Of course not, because they don't care about us (they especially seem to dislike SB for some reason). The other TM had been there since 1 and really needed to eat. If we'd just waited, probably would've ended up waiting almost the full six hours before taking his meal, since the LOD didn't seem to think it was necessary to notify us.

Around 6, I was taking a 15, leaving the other TM (who's been here 6 months longer than me) to run the store on his own. The store got fairly busy unfortunately. So then a TL shows up and just kinda stands by the counter. I say hi to him and he says hi back and then just keeps sitting there. I figure he's probably there to tell us what was going on with our other TM, even though we'd already found out. So instead of talking to me, he talks to the other TM, who's still taking orders. I guess I'm not good enough for him to talk to since I've been here 3 months. And what was he telling him? He didn't give us news about our other TM or express even a tiny bit of concern for our understaffed state; apparently a customer had whined that our tables were a bit dirty, so he told the TM to clean them off, when we're down a TM and already really behind on closing tasks. God I hate these people.

On the plus side, I was pleasantly (and very) surprised that when later that night I was on my own (and dealing with a rush) and I pressed the additional assistance button, SOMEONE ACTUALLY CAME! What a miracle! Again, I hate this place, and it seems to hate me and my fellow SBTMs back.

Sorry about the long rant; I'm just extremely pissed at Target.

I feel your pain.
A couple weeks ago, I came in right at opening to discover the opener had called out sick so nothing was set up & the store was opening.
Instead of calling me to come in to set up, (I come in to help the opener with the morning rush) I was setting up the espresso machine, plating pastries & brewing coffee while a bunch of angry guests furiously texted their BFFs about our incompetence.
The kicker? He'd called out the night before. They could've easily called me to come in earlier.

Oh wow... that's even worse. I'm sorry :(
It's just such little and easy things they need to do to make our jobs easier, but they never do them.

I worked at Starbucks for years, and what you went through tonight would be one of the easiest and least disrespectful treatments I ever got. Overlap was basically non-existent, breaks were almost never an uninterrupted 15 it was more like scarf down crappy Food Ave garbage while keeping an eye on Starbucks and dropping everything for a guest. The TLs usually ignored us unless they wanted something from us. The times I had to go outside in the freezing cold with no jacket or in the summer with a black polo and undershirt on to grab carts were too many to count. I was so happy when I was finally able to escape the black hole of Target (as I call Starbucks). Little did I realize that the rest of the store was pretty much just as awful.

I feel your pain.
A couple weeks ago, I came in right at opening to discover the opener had called out sick so nothing was set up & the store was opening.
Instead of calling me to come in to set up, (I come in to help the opener with the morning rush) I was setting up the espresso machine, plating pastries & brewing coffee while a bunch of angry guests furiously texted their BFFs about our incompetence.
The kicker? He'd called out the night before. They could've easily called me to come in earlier.

This happened to me with Market. Come in to find that there was no opener. I live LITERALLY 5 minutes walking distance and could of been there way sooner and not have to walk into a disaster

I worked at Starbucks for years, and what you went through tonight would be one of the easiest and least disrespectful treatments I ever got. Overlap was basically non-existent, breaks were almost never an uninterrupted 15 it was more like scarf down crappy Food Ave garbage while keeping an eye on Starbucks and dropping everything for a guest. The TLs usually ignored us unless they wanted something from us. The times I had to go outside in the freezing cold with no jacket or in the summer with a black polo and undershirt on to grab carts were too many to count. I was so happy when I was finally able to escape the black hole of Target (as I call Starbucks). Little did I realize that the rest of the store was pretty much just as awful.

Funny you mention this. We had either 2 or 3 people who used to work starbucks move to the salesfloor mostly and they have all quit within 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back