Archived Flow and the wave

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys so are flow team at work keeps missing time and does not come clean or finish.just today we left 18 carts in the alcove and 6 pellets. Are wave team which consists of me and 6 other people. So I like are wave team but as a team we get distracted they lolly gag talk fool around. On top of that we had less then a 2100 piece truck and took like 90 minutes to finish. So my team lead comes up to me and says any ideas to become better as a team any suggestions. I really like are team lead but she is over her head sometimes. So if you could tell me how you guys run your store. Are store is a double a store with a 4 am process but after June we move to overnight the rest of the year.

OK guys so are flow team at work keeps missing time and does not come clean or finish.just today we left 18 carts in the alcove and 6 pellets. Are wave team which consists of me and 6 other people. So I like are wave team but as a team we get distracted they lolly gag talk fool around. On top of that we had less then a 2100 piece truck and took like 90 minutes to finish. So my team lead comes up to me and says any ideas to become better as a team any suggestions. I really like are team lead but she is over her head sometimes. So if you could tell me how you guys run your store. Are store is a double a store with a 4 am process but after June we move to overnight the rest of the year.
Looks like you guess are over your head. People like you give the rest of flow a bad name

Distracted by talking? Grow the fuck up and do your job or quit,

I'm an ETL-Log and in my store I actually like to get involved helping my team(s). One of the biggest issues I found upon coming aboard was doing the WAVE we had way to many TM's talking and basically slowing each other down. What I did first was dedicate TM's to certain departments while setting expectations to how long their sections should take based off me working it by myself as fast as possible.

If the team isn't performing to those expectations then this is were we must start to ask ourselves what are we doing that isn't working because everyone (including myself as a leader) has to be accountable. That being said I honestly would suggest something like below:

1 TM - Pets
1 - 2 TM's - Chemical (most of time heavy at my store but have each one start opposite ends in chemical)
1 TM - PIPO (This TM goes to Seasonal then helps with Trash or Infants)
2 TM's - for Cosmetics/HBA/Pharmacy
1 TM - Stationary and Office
1 TM - Kitchen
2 TM's - Grocery (again start them at opposite ends)
1 TM - Plastics/HIPPA
1 TM - Domestics/Furniture
1 TM - Bath and bedding (Domestics and Plastics TM's usually comes to help with this TM)
1 TM - Infants
1 TM - Toys/Sporting Goods (most of the time the guy from PETS comes as he finishes his section within 30-40 minutes)

The above is only an example of what works at my store as my dedicated sections are: A|B|C|D|G then everyone pretty much ends up in E|N

Remember set goals. Be a leader and if you come up with a plan even if it doesn't work at first OWN that plan and give it time it will work. The team needs to see that you are dedicated and they will catch on. Hardest part for my team after they got aboard the system I wanted to use was checking for double locations. I corrected this by having my TL's check all backstock before it comes to backroom.

During slow times also make sure to cross train TM's because you don't want to lose them due to no hours!

Also for the truck unload each section in the truck should take no longer than 10-15 minutes. If they are not meeting this time then switch out TM's and DO NOT forget to PRAISE the team for doing a great job! A little motivation can go a long way. A 2100 piece truck should be max 1 hour 10 minutes.

I'll add that I know a lot of leaders focus on a goal time for the unload and set a hard limit. I think it's wrong to shoot for 60 minute unloads. Instead focus on the pace. Our absolute top pace I've timed for my team was 59 boxes per minute, and I think 50 is a good, even number to aim for. That is totally doable and gets a great start for the day. Starting the day off with a strong unload is the difference between success and failure in most cases, so that needs to be the first thing to fix. Cracking down on talking in the wave is important, but those extra 48 minutes spent unloading, times the number of TMs... That is a TON of wasted payroll.

2100/90 is only 23 boxes per minute. That is atrocious. Each thrower is placing only 12 boxes onto the line in a minute, which is unacceptable. They should be removed or replaced.

Thanks guys are main thrower got tired and is on a loa to 4th quarter and the other one is in the military so no getting hurt in the truck. But today was progress the team lead of flow aloud me to kind of run the truck in till 8 when the etls came in. and it was a success 2600 piece truck finished in an hour and 13 min plus we finished market by 630 we were in the zone we came clean only left 2 carts 1 hba and one in the middle. So thanks guys.I was able to split up the talkers and get it done

Thanks guys are main thrower got tired and is on a loa to 4th quarter and the other one is in the military so no getting hurt in the truck. But today was progress the team lead of flow aloud me to kind of run the truck in till 8 when the etls came in. and it was a success 2600 piece truck finished in an hour and 13 min plus we finished market by 630 we were in the zone we came clean only left 2 carts 1 hba and one in the middle. So thanks guys.I was able to split up the talkers and get it done
Continue to split those TM's that only talk up by having them work alone and then push everyone to the areas that's needed. The goal is to work the truck 100% each unload. This will help your backroom team as well. NEVER allow a TM to take backstock to the backroom unless you are 100% sure they check double/Triple locations. A|B block I always make sure they have my devices for this.

Here how it works at my store:

Truck unload comes in at 5:30 am, bowlers come in at 6

About 10 to 12 people unload, 6 people bowl and start stocking HBA only.

Every pallet for Paper and C&D are dropped on the sales floor. The rest are stored near the line.

After unload, 1 person works the morning pulls, 2 go off to market, 3 go to soft lines, 1 works electronics, and 4 work repacks. Soft lines, electronics, and repacks usually takes those team members all day to complete.

Everyone else hits HBA.

After HBA, that team moves on to paper towels, and from there they go to C&D.

After C&D, they join the two team members in market. By that time, we take break at 9:30 AM

We finish up market, and the team then splits.

Some go to help the backroom.

4 go to toys and sporting goods.

2 go to seasonal.

2 go to pets.

Small appliances is last to be done, usually everyone ends up there.

Everyone is finished by 12:30, 1:00 the latest.

If we finish by 12:30, we usually help POG or market until 1.

Your IS team could be more efficient if your wave changed up each day to follow their scan cycle and the departments that were being scanned each day were completed first. There has to be a reason that flow tl's won't do this. What is it??

At my store, I help run truck with my flow TL since they are trying to develop me to be a TL.
Right now we are a 6AM process but will switch to 4AM come BTS/Holidays.
Flow TL & BR TL come in at 530 to set up the lines, make sure bays are clear/have flats/pallets, make sure Electronics cage is across from the line, and to set up the Z-Racks between Mens/Infant Gondolas.
The rest of the team comes in at 6AM, when we have a quick huddle and then head to the back.

-There are 2 throwers, then 4 of us on the line plus the Flow TL. We get done usually by 730 regardless of size, but we process differently than most other stores, I think.
-We don't scan anymore, regardless of size, every day is a Push-All. The Flow TL and I sort ALL Hardlines repacks on the line except for HBA.
-During unload, the rest of the team is in Market, A&A and HBA/Stationary/Kitchen (A & B). Market is USUALLY done by 8 and HBA crew has HBA/Stationary done USUALLY by 9. (When we go to break)
-After pulls are done in the BR, the BR TL does Toys for us, except at Christmas when we've got Plano for Toy Team.
-One of our throwers does Electronics/Entertainment.
-When unload is complete, I do Bullseye's Playground. The line crew then does Paper Corner, then they head to Plastics. Market crew then joins them when they are done, and then we do the rest of C & D. (Which, in my store, is bedding, bath, furniture, art, hardware, plastics, etc). We then go to break.
-Once we've returned, the line/market crews do pets and chemicals while a select few help me and the TL do the Stationary and Kitchen repacks.
-Then once pets/chemicals is done, that crew does C&S.
-Lately, A&A crew has finished while Hardlines is still doing C&S, so they bring out Sporting Goods and Seasonal (E & F). We then join them and finish up.
-A few of us stick around to clean up backroom, push challenge, fill water/ice, finish up trash, etc.
-Oh, and we're all out before lunch at 1145AM.

There are a few of us who talk but we bust our butts (line crew). Others get called out on it since they don't work as fast as those on the line crew and sometimes don't get scheduled as much because they don't work as hard as others.
Our team rocks. :)
Sounds like a store I trained at! Great bunch they were!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back