Archived FLow Team Leaving Their Mess Behind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been posted before but..

I've been getting really annoyed lately with the Flow Team at my store. I'm not sure what's happened with the team, but the last couple of shipments they've been leaving the store with their trash on the salesfloor, putting jackets that are clearly women's in the men section, putting new folded t-shirts in clearance, putting womens shirts in mens, and tonight I found a bunch of packaged men socks stuffed underneath their racks. I had to grab them all and unpackege them before putting them out. I've only been with this store for a few months and never once was this a problem, so I don't understand why this is happening all of a sudden. I don't think we've hired anyone new, so this has to be a regular team member. Has this been happening to anybody else?

Also, last week their was this one Flow Team member that instead of putting things out, she walked up to me and told me that she was going to put the clothes on the z-rack in the fitting room instead of putting it out on the floor. Then she walked off to later come back and tell me she was leaving even though she wasn't supposed to clock out for twenty more minutes..

I really want to talk to me TL or STL but I don't feel like it's my place. I'm still new to the store, and I feel like the Flow Team is this team of people you don't mess with, and I don't want to be that person. So i guess I'm stuck with having to do my work plus part of flow teams..

(Before any Flow Team Member or any other Team Member tries to tell me off, I would just like to point out that I realize and respect Flow Team because they do a lot of hard work that I personally wouldn't be able to do, and I'm not trying to offend anybody. I just don't like having to sort through every rack of clothes to make sure things are where they're supposed to be because I have gobacks and zones to do on my own already.)

Team player. Nobody wants to be one. Everyone is more content to look after themselves.

Speak up. This type of behavior is careless and petty, and you shouldn't stand for it. No one should. If you let people take advantage of you, they will.

RandomNerd is right about being a team player..they are far and few between. Some flow team members just like to pass the responsibility on to the next. Or it could be we are so pressured to get the job done so fast that mistakes are made.

RandomNerd is right about being a team player..they are far and few between. Some flow team members just like to pass the responsibility on to the next. Or it could be we are so pressured to get the job done so fast that mistakes are made.

Yeah, see I was originally guessing that flow just wasn't able to finish their things in time, and I understand that because sometimes I don't get to finish my zone or gobacks, but the fact that this keeps happening over and over lately makes me think someone is just being lazy. But I don't want to make a mistake and place blame if it's just an honest mistake on flows part. And since I've only been with the store a few months I don't feel like it's my place to start something. I don't want to be that person, you know?

Yeah, see I was originally guessing that flow just wasn't able to finish their things in time, and I understand that because sometimes I don't get to finish my zone or gobacks, but the fact that this keeps happening over and over lately makes me think someone is just being lazy. But I don't want to make a mistake and place blame if it's just an honest mistake on flows part. And since I've only been with the store a few months I don't feel like it's my place to start something. I don't want to be that person, you know?

Don't be afraid of the people you work with. Whether it is a mistake or not, nip it in the butt before it gets out of hand. Sometimes the right thing to do is always the hardest. Honestly, if I were you I might see if I can pull a Flow Team member to the side and talk about it. If people know you are afraid to speak up, they'll use the hell out of your silence. People make mistakes, but it doesn't sound like a mistake to me. It sounds like laziness and abuse of a newer TM. At least some of it does, anyway.

Like for instance (and I am new as well), when the cart attendant is falling behind I help out with the carts that are getting out of hand around the entrance and outside of the exit. But if they start getting really out of hand or there aren't enough? Heck no, I am on the walkie calling him over. I know he's got a lot of work to do (also does cashiering and other things), and I don't want him to worry about some misplaced carts. But at the same time, I am not going to do his job for him, just as I wouldn't expect him to do mine.

It's okay to assist people, but don't let yourself be used.

I have scene of late some seasonal people just not caring too. They know their not staying so they obviously don't care.

Before I took over as the Logistics TL, I saw Flow leaving work behind - sometimes due to laziness and other times due to call-outs. When I b did take over, I found out that the laziness times were due to the fact that neither the prior TL nor the ETL cared about Softlines getting done. I coached the lazy people and on heavy work days gave Softies support to get the work done. Have there been days that we didn't finish due to heavy workload and not enough people? Yes, but the difference this time around was that I partnered with the Soft lines TLs as well as the Salesfloor to see if TMs could help with a couple of racks if the floor wasn't busy, but I NEVER just left stuff. On days I wasn't there and work was left on the floor, I appreciated day side telling me what happened so that I could nip the situation in a bud. Speak up so that this could be corrected.

Let the ETL-Log or Replen (if you have one) know this is happening. The TL may blow it off but the ETL should bring it up at a huddle. This is just laziness or not having time and hiding product where it doesn't belong. The flow team is too big to know what everyone is doing at the same time.

The flow team may be struggling with hours or with TMs not showing up. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for this - hopefully not general laziness

Yeah, speaking as a Flow TM, you need to let people know so this can get addressed and hopefully dealt with. Tell the TL and ETL. Maybe when you're headed out, check in with the LOD and let them know each truck what you've seen Flow doing too? Or something.

I'm really not a fan of going to management about other team members. The only exception I would allow is if it something illegal.

Here are two more options.

1) Don't do it. You have your job. If someone was to ask, you can just say, I didn't do that/leave that there.

2) Go ahead and fix that stuff. Then when your tl says "Why aren't you further along with xxxx?" you can tell them what you fixed.

I know people will a disagree with me. I'm not saying what's right or wrong to do. Just giving you options that don't fall under telling on your fellow team members.

These options allow you not to do that.

I agree with letting it sit. You don't need to fix everything, or take it upon yourself. If the TLs or etls don't care, then you don't need to, either. Sure, if you have time when everything else is done and want to fix something, go for it. But if you don't have time, let it go.

We have a flow TM who would constantly leave their empty boxes of SSS up there when she was done. I eventually got tired of it and started ignoring it...I had better things to do than clean up after her. One evening, the LOD asked me what it was doing there. I shrugged and said that (TM) left it there when she was done pushing it.

Oddly enough, she never left her garbage up there again!

I'm from Flow and let me apologize, I understand what you going through. Is not your job to fix it, but just do the right thing. Fix the mess and reported. Someone is just not waking up at top speed, and just because of that doesn't mean everyone else has to pay. Even if you are a new team member, go up to the TL or you own leader and address the problem nothing wrong in doing the right thing.

I don't believe in trying to get other people in trouble. I don't tattle for the sake of tattling or to earn brownie points.However, if it comes down to something reflecting badly on me and my job performance I will speak up at that point. To the OP, don't let someone else not doing their job make yours harder. If its been going for more than a couple weeks, I would speak to someone...even if its a fellow team member who has been there longer ( they cant do anything about the issue but they can help you figure out the person to go to ) .

The problem with Flow is you have the Flow TL barking at them to work faster, finish pushing softlines in an unbelievable amount of time. I work in softlines and you need to constantly remerchandise racks in order to push new product from the truck. Oh, and I also used to work on Flow so I speak from experience. I was never given enough time to push softlines properly. If it was pogged it was OK but anything on a rack w/o schematics and you were done. Our shoes are PTM right now and it's a disaster the way Flow pushes them. No one has the time on Flow to properly push product so the fitting room and sales floor team members have to pick up the slack. Tell your TL that if you're going to do Flow's job then you want to be bumped up to their pay grade. I sure as hell didn't take a cut in pay so that I can do my job AND theirs. My TL s and ETL has told me to worry about my responsibilities because at the end of the day if the Flow team hasn't pushed something it's not my responsibility. We're here to support, not do their job.
</end rant>

The problem with Flow is you have the Flow TL barking at them to work faster, finish pushing softlines in an unbelievable amount of time. I work in softlines and you need to constantly remerchandise racks in order to push new product from the truck. Oh, and I also used to work on Flow so I speak from experience. I was never given enough time to push softlines properly. If it was pogged it was OK but anything on a rack w/o schematics and you were done. Our shoes are PTM right now and it's a disaster the way Flow pushes them. No one has the time on Flow to properly push product so the fitting room and sales floor team members have to pick up the slack. Tell your TL that if you're going to do Flow's job then you want to be bumped up to their pay grade. I sure as hell didn't take a cut in pay so that I can do my job AND theirs. My TL s and ETL has told me to worry about my responsibilities because at the end of the day if the Flow team hasn't pushed something it's not my responsibility. We're here to support, not do their job.
</end rant>

My store I got people fired over shoes. It should not take me 4hrs to research shoes, cause overnight pushed it all out no matter if it belonged there or not. Hiding shoes behind other shoes the next valley over. All because a TL said "No Back stock" so dayside gets to do it? WTF? Yeah they got out in time but it cost us hours. That don't fly!

And let's not forget market and fifo'ing. When I first started years ago, the flow tl and I had a disagreement over this. I was pushing and told her there was no way to correctly fifo within the timeframes I was given. It's only gotten worse. Oh well. Thank God for preservatives and additives.

And let's not forget market and fifo'ing. When I first started years ago, the flow tl and I had a disagreement over this. I was pushing and told her there was no way to correctly fifo within the timeframes I was given. It's only gotten worse. Oh well. Thank God for preservatives and additives.

Whenever I find FIFO'd cheese, it is like....
Seeing Bigfoot ride the Loch Ness monster.

take a poop in a box and leave it in the truck to be opened and leave a note saying "I have to clean up your guys mess, now you can clean up mine. We're even now."

This is the only reason I love Turkey season, its a good time for me to get back at flow.. Sorry guys, but I ordered 110 cases

I am a PA and this is very true. I FIFO to best of my ability, with the amount of time (lol) and help (LOL!) I am given.. I would honestly estimate that I FIFO (PFresh areas, only, ain't no one have time for dry, about 75% of the time).

Flow has a major double edged sword when it comes to FIFO, the more you FIFO, the smaller your C&S trucks should be = less time needed to push them.

This sounds like my store. I usually tell my TL. Sometimes she takes pics and shows them to the etl log as proof, but nothing has changed and I think we're all kinda jaded about it at this point. Flow hours were cut, and they have less people so they're trying to get more done in less time and I think they're all just over it so they just get it off their z rack or tub or flat and that's that. And if they don't finish, they just leave carts and racks on the floor and it comes to the fitting room with the reshop (still in plastic bags so you can tell it's from them.)

It's hard because I get why they slack off in my store but I still don't like it because it gives me more work

Flow had a cart of pets, a cart of checklanes, and a cart of dollar spot push that they brought up at about 9AM, left the carts, and clocked out.

The thing with flow is, we're generally the only team in the store that consistently works past their scheduled times(well at my store anyway, and it sounds like all the other stores as well). And some weeks we just get tired of it. It's an expectation that we will stay. We don't get asked to stay, we just do because we know we're all only scheduled 730-11:30, and we still have half of grocery, C&D and E/Seasonal to push at 10:30, and we feel bad for our TL who's a great guy and can only do so much with the shit he's given every truck. You know why your Flow team doesn't help guests as often as they should(according to Target)? Because every minute spent with a guest is another minute we have to stay pushing the truck. And unfortunately, that extra time helping guests doesn't get us any more help. The ETLs and STLs always say if we meet sales goals we get more hours! But that's BS. Yeah we get more hours, but when that happens, the ETLs and STL just divide them up to finish their own little pet projects, or do dumb shit like get an extra zoner for a day because we all know that perfect toys zone will last any longer than 2 days. So yeah, sometimes Flow does leave a tub behind or a flat of one spot behind or a couple zbars. Because sometimes we have stuff to do that day, or have made plans with family for after work. It gets exhausting never knowing when you're going to get out of the store each and every truck day. If we were properly staffed (as any other department can attest to never been staffed correctly) I probably wouldn't hate it as much. But when you walk by the team member hiring needs and every month it says there's still 4-8 open Flow positions year round, you get kind of annoyed after awhile. When a flow tm quits or moves over to Pricing/plano cause it's a much easier team with as many hours, and no one replaces them, you get annoyed again. When they just cut 4 out 5 seasonal hires even though we STILL need 5 regular flow positions filled you get annoyed. Some days it's built up enough and you just leave at your scheduled time for once, cause if they don't want to schedule enough hours with enough TMs to push the truck, well that's not my $8.50 problem, that's the 100k STL, DTL, and $2 billion dollar net income corporate problem. But in the end, the truck will get pushed and backstocked anyway, whether by the sales floor, or the flow staying an extra 2-3 hours each every day. So it really doesn't matter, the store doesn't shut down because there were a few things left behind, or pushed wrong, or not backstocked. No one dies. Target keeps rolling in the cash, and I keep getting my biweekly $400 paychecks for busting my ass lifting heavy shit for 6 hours a day while continually harassed about red cards by the fresh out of college ETL who went to the same college I do now and had a few classes with me.

You know who pays for flow staying past their hours? The rest of the store. I have my hours cut many times cause truck team couldn't or wouldn't get it done.

I am expected to do the work of 2 TM and than go around the whole store after that helping the other TM. All the while being pressured by my ETL Than we get to do go backs, One Spot and check lanes. And working grave yard is no fun.
I think my store does a great job. When we leave there is nothing on the floor left. Is there mistakes and passing on responsibility? I'm sure there is. We are not perfect. If they would train team members properly I'm sure there would be less but that's a whole other subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back