Archived Food Ave Team Leads

Status
Not open for further replies.
My preface: I am not saying being the Food Ave team lead is easy. So anyone hijacking this thread or misquoting me can scratch my a**.

I don't understand how Target thinks having a tl in Food Ave and a tl for POG/Pricing makes sense.

Is there a commandment from above that says Starbucks and food ave have to have separate tl's?

I'm open to hearing all opinions, good or bad.

Starbucks is required to have a dedicated TL per the agreement with Target. Food avenue is not. Depending on store volume I've seen some stores have a food service assistant, similar to a GSA, over food ave, with the GSTL (low volume) have oversight. Technically Starbucks TL should be focusing on Starbucks only, but we know how Spot skirts the rules....

Not to knock food avenue TLs but most have a much easier job than other TLs. But they are also dealing with food. With the way Target is shrinking the options and sending more prepackaged food, it wouldn't surprise me if food ave TL is the next position to get cut.

Sorry but to me its a waste of position. They should combine starbucks TL with FA. To me cutting in stocks team lead was a bad move becsuse that position has a huge impact on the store. If the product is not out on the floor, it can't sell. And everything comes down to sales.

Sorry, but being a former Starbucks TL, no they cannot be combined. Some Targets do it, but it is technically not ok with Starbucks. Also, Starbucks has way too much going on for this. Food Ave gets easier, but Starbucks gets harder. Maybe CTL could take it with a Food Assistant in Food Ave. My DM almost went apeshit when a previous STL wanted to combine Starbucks and Food Ave. He wanted to shut it down.

This.
Under the franchise agreement Starbucks has their own TL to look out for the interests of SB; namely for sales promotions, new product roll-outs, maintaining their own brand/inventory & ATS certifications.
Lower vol stores will sometimes use a FSA over their cafe & hijack the SBTL (or GSTL) for cafe admin duties (food handlers' certification, coaching, reviews, etc) but MUST maintain a SBTL.

Our store has a Sr.TL of Food Ave and a TL. Waste of money.

Our store has a Sr.TL of Food Ave and a TL. Waste of money.

Holey Moley! You must have the biggest food ave ever. What is it? Like a food interstate? Knowing Spot though, it's probably just the water fountain and a vending machine. I really can't imagine needing both. How did that happen?

Back in the day with FoodAves with the grill/fryer setup or even Pizza Hut Express, it made sense to have a FATL. And for higher volume Food Aves to have a FAS. You needed some one to order and maintain equipment and to task FATMs to perform certain daily/weekly duties. There would be days where it would take 4 TMs at peek hours to keep FA afloat; 2 cashering, one on grill, and one working Pizza. So someone has to manage all that scheduling and staff.

With grill/fryers gone, Pizza Huts disappearing, and a lot of stuff coming in already prepped, there is no real sense to have a TL at lower volume FAs. A GSTL or CTL can take over the duties.

From what I understand my last store (I wish it would fall down), their FA is only open 10am-8pm. They already merged the FATL position with the main GSTL

Last edited:
Our store FA hours are 9-8 they have a TL, but still doesn't run smoothly. They tried having the Starbucks TL oversee FA, but it was full of fail. Especially, since the Starbucks TL can barely run her own department properly. Most departments could get by withou a TL if you have a decent team. Which means they know what to do and how to do it without being instructed to do things.

It's not that simple. Restaurants need their own managers. Just picture a SB in a mall. Could you imagine if the manager of that SB stand was also the manager of another mini restaurant in the mall?
" Can I speak to your manager please?"
"Oh, sorry, he's on the cash register at Auntie Anne's right now. Try back later."

I'm an FATL in a pretty high volume store and I would say there are stretches where it is fairly easy and could almost run itself. But when you have TMs quit or they call out things can go to hell really quick, especially if you have a pizza hut. If they were to remove all the pizza huts then it could definitely survive without a TL but the pizza hut makes it somewhat challenging at times. Don't get me wrong the very second that I can switch work centers I am gone, so long FA, smell ya later!

Sorry, but being a former Starbucks TL, no they cannot be combined. Some Targets do it, but it is technically not ok with Starbucks. Also, Starbucks has way too much going on for this. Food Ave gets easier, but Starbucks gets harder. Maybe CTL could take it with a Food Assistant in Food Ave. My DM almost went apeshit when a previous STL wanted to combine Starbucks and Food Ave. He wanted to shut it down.

I'm going to have to look into that! Our store is ulv and the TL ( which is now me, unfortunately) has always been the team lead for both. SB/FA TL. I mostly concentrate on SB though as it makes 10X as much as FA. FA actually loses money. I'd rather close it and expand the SB and become a warming store. If we keep popcorn, sodas, and icees most guests would be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back