Archived Former Sr. TL considering ETL offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hellllooooo everyone!

I'm not sure if anyone is still on this board that remembers me, but I was a longtime TM that worked my way up from TM to SR TL. My username was allinone previously (obviously)

Anywho, I left spot to persue other interests (banking). I recently graduated with my bachelors in Poli Sci and Chemistry...I was fired from my comfortable job as a banker after I came back from medical leave (voluntary surgery); basically, I released a payment hold a cardholder had made on their credit card because it was an emergency (former policy allowed us to remove holds immediately if they met certain requirements). While I was on leave they changed the policy so this could not be done. I was not told (nor was it in our information system) of this policy change and the payment was returned unpaid. Because it was over a certain amount, corporate security was triggered for an investigation and ordered my immediate termination. Unemployment sided with me, thank God.

I was just wondering, since 2011, how has target changed? Specifically, any major changes in leadership (besides the whole Steinfail fiasco which I had to deal with at the bank)?

I'm debating accepting the offer; moreso because I do want to boost morale at the store I work at, and show that a young person is capable of being a great leader inside Target and creating the best store ever.

Any advice to a 4 year verteran considering coming back?

Spot has changed a lot. The new plan from spot, is to contact former srtl & offer them etl jobs(it's happening at my store). With your job experience, hr & ge, I would stay away from spot. Look at other options.

Depending on your area, a lot of district/group level jobs have been cut. The idea of busting butt in store for a few years to hopefully get a district/group position just got harder. They also cut some ETL/TL headcounts in some org charts. Target's guest motto is "Expect more, pay less", which is also put onto TMs. HQ expects more from their leadership but pays less. Their new motto should be "Doing more, with less". Example: ETL-logs in some groups are now responsible for store maintenance. Also, some cut ETL-Replenishment and replaced them with a Sr.TL.

If it's your only opportunity then take it. You know what to expect (hours, workload, work/life balance). This go around you won't have to clock in anymore and you will not get paid over 40 hours. We were expected to work 60hrs or more at our store. Nothing is better than working overnight and then spending 4 hours talking about nothing important with the rest of the ETL team.

Use your degree if you can!

Personally I say forget the naysayers and go for it. Try it out, beats not having a job. Worst case scenario? You decide you don't like it, move on to something different that you enjoy and you have that experience to place on your resume. Some people actually enjoy it. You always have to keep in mind when you come here, a lot of the people use this for nothing but to complain. Every job is going to have some things you don't like. So my opinion, no harm in trying. Good luck with whatever you choose though.

Isign he or she has a degree in political science and chemistry.. Wouldn't it be better to look for a career in some sort of related fields then to resort back to a world of retail? In an etl position, when would they have time to look for something in their field?

Isign he or she has a degree in political science and chemistry.. Wouldn't it be better to look for a career in some sort of related fields then to resort back to a world of retail? In an etl position, when would they have time to look for something in their field?
Two things - looking for a job while in an ETL position can be challenging. Most of us had to use vacation days or some even called out. When my replenishment and I were looking we would cover each other's shift but some ETLs won't get that arrangement.

Also I feel retail is more of a safety net or catch all than a career choice for anyone who doesn't have a business degree. I picked it because it paid well but after working 60hrs a week I realized I was making less than TLs

People always think management makes "Lots" of money - When I had a real life and ran a big business, I worked in excess of 80 hours a week - on call 24/7 - no overtime - straight salary. The people on my team always thought I had a "glamor" job and got to go all over the country whenever I wanted. Sadly I was putting out fires on the sites where I was sent. Rarely did I have a chance to see anything but the airports, hotel rooms, and the actual job location.
There was no glamor and if you took my salary and divided it into the actual time I worked, I was getting paid as much as an entry level mailroom clerk

Job outside degree > No job. And management experience can be applied to any field.

Two things - looking for a job while in an ETL position can be challenging. Most of us had to use vacation days or some even called out. When my replenishment and I were looking we would cover each other's shift but some ETLs won't get that arrangement.

Also I feel retail is more of a safety net or catch all than a career choice for anyone who doesn't have a business degree. I picked it because it paid well but after working 60hrs a week I realized I was making less than TLs
I don't think Spot is a safety net....far from it . I am thankful that I have a job ( because some don't) but Spot is far from being a safety net .

When I was interviewing for jobs outside of Target it was rough.

I would go outside and take phone interviews in my car. Utilize breaks and lunches to follow-up with interviewers.

When I was finally given a final interview, I had to drive across the state to take it. I had call-off for 2 days in order to do them. When I came back I was immediately coached for attendance and was given a very long speech about how my STL has been with Spot for 3 years and didn't call call off or leave early. And I couldn't switch because I was an extended intern and there was no one to swap with.

Basically, if that interview didn't work out, I would have been screwed had I actually gotten sick if I had stayed with target.

I realize this isn't the correct thread to ask this....but can a sr tl who doesn't have a degree...be promoted to a etl....in a ulv store

So if the stl pushes for it ....then its not out of the question that it could happen?

So if the stl pushes for it ....then its not out of the question that it could happen?

It can.

I'm sure if you've read this forum enough, you'll see "you need a degree."

However, the core roles DO STATE "4 degree or equivalent experience." Problem is, there is no written explanation of what equivalent experience is... So it's generic screening tool and could be used if you don't have the support of your store's leadership team.

Best of luck!

I was just wondering about a situation within my store. I am not the one trying to be an etl. I don't drink the kool aid enough for that .

Update: Sorry it took so long to get back to y'all...i decided to decline Spots offer. I thought hard about it and, for me, the pros do not out way the cons. Fortunately for me, I had options. When I least expected it, I meet the person of my dreams and we decided after a year and a half that we're ready to be tied together forever. I recently got married and my husband has accepted a fellowship at Ronald Ragan Medical Center in California! I'll be studying for my LSAT's and the ultimate goal will be to get into UC at Berkeley School of Law.

Anyways, I'll still lurk and stick around if it's okay with y'all

@allinone2 - you're throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime to go to Law school? Do you know how many kids would love to be an ETL, work every other weekend with 50+ hours a week, and throw away their lives so Momma Shinook can buy Target brand single ply toilet paper and Archer Farms Mango salsa?

Geez, I can't believe your decision making. Married, to a doctor? WHAT!?! Giving up Target, WHAT!?! LOL.

Seriously, congratulations on the marriage and pursuing a career in law. You'll do great!

P.S. Tell your husband to stay away from Seattle Grace Hospital. I've seen a few instances of adultery and sex making in medical closets. Don't know if it's the Seattle air or how doctors act in a trauma environment.

Last edited:
Well he completed his residency recently at Tampa General Hospital...One day when he was working a 48 hour shift, I went there and had breakfast with him. Things got heated quickly so we decided to utilize a private patient room he knew wouldn't be used for the remainder of the day. Afterwards when we were walking down the hall together, the nurse made it a point to say "Oh I should turn off the nanny-cam in xxx room" (nanny cam was used to watch suicidal or other risk patients). I was beyond humiliated...oops lol

[fans self] letter to penthouse in the making lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back