Archived Former TM looking to work in AP or HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. I worked at Target for 2 1/2 years as Sales Floor and was cross-trained in almost every role (for dayside).

I left on good terms and my TL said she would hire me back in a heartbeat. I was easily one of their best employees. I am interested in coming back to the company. However, I am looking to work at another, lower-volume store (mine was almost at ultra-high, a bit to insane for my book).

What would it be like moving to these positions in terms of difference in experience? Are they better in terms of working conditions? Or am I just experiencing a case of the "grass is always greener" ?

Thank you for any help.

AP is vastly different. I found myself burnt from logistics and didn't want to work in any sales floor positions and it so happened I was sought for APS. The pressure is still there to perform, it's just a different pressure. You probably won't be hounded about pulls, but you'll have to respond to a variety of situations up to and including, confronting shoplifters. When something goes missing, where were you? Did you miss it? Are you sure it wasn't there before? Was it taken recently? Were you just not paying attention? Why weren't you able to stop it? Maybe someone just bought it?

Known shoplifter in the store? Is he/she dangerous? Are they stealing? Would you have the courage to confront them if they attempted to steal? Should you get PD involved? That person looks kinda shady...this other person looks normal, but they're acting odd...Did they just pick up that merch? Where'd they go? Where'd the item go? Did they just conceal it? Or did they dump it? Can I detain him/her if they try to walk out? Am I 100% sure they still have it? Would I bet my job on it?

It's an entirely different thought process and it takes a long time to learn and get down before you can make decisions confidently. That's just one part of the job and typically what I see on a day to day basis. If you're new to AP, you'll more likely see yourself as a TPS first although ASANTS. TPS deal with most things APS do except TPS provide the physical presence and do the work to ensure high-theft items' counts are correct. If you can handle that side of the store, maybe AP is for you. If not, maybe you'd rather be the one deferring to AP instead.

I have been a TPS for about 6 months (GSA for 2 years prior to that), and I can say that I have overall enjoyed the switch to AP. That said, a good deal of that has been due to my store-specific experience. We have team of 4: two TPS (including myself), one Sr TPS, and one ETL-AP. Most other stores in my area have only a 1- or 2-person AP team, and I don't think I'd enjoy the role as much at those smaller stores.

An AP shift can go from mundane to insanely stressful in the blink of an eye. There are some slow days when the store is (seemingly) theft free and you might literally walk the store hoping to find something interesting, assuming you're caught up on cases, empty package research, assignment cards, etc. ASANTS, but on those days I will usually grab a tub or two and do some work in HBA. There are other days when you'll get called away more often than the LOD. The other night I had to spend 2 hours straight in the office, reviewing, burning, and documenting footage for the police to pick up for an incident involving credit card theft.

All that said, I don't think I'd want to move any further up the AP ladder. I love the TPS role, but the thought of making solo apprehensions scares me. Just too many ways to slip up and get fired (more so than any other workcenter I'd say).

Hello guys. I worked at Target for 2 1/2 years as Sales Floor and was cross-trained in almost every role (for dayside).

I left on good terms and my TL said she would hire me back in a heartbeat. I was easily one of their best employees. I am interested in coming back to the company. However, I am looking to work at another, lower-volume store (mine was almost at ultra-high, a bit to insane for my book).

What would it be like moving to these positions in terms of difference in experience? Are they better in terms of working conditions? Or am I just experiencing a case of the "grass is always greener" ?

Thank you for any help.

I transitioned to AP from the sales floor 2 years ago. Love it. Got 6 weeks of training and was well taken care of financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back