Archived Front End Merchandise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrknownothing

purveyor of things
I'm just curious, how do your stores handle pushing and re-shopping merchandise at the front end? At my store, we do the following:

Checklanes: Endcaps are set and filled by the GSTLs. They drop POG fills and send a cashier to find the other items (not in the POG fill) on the sales floor. Gum and candy are usually pushed by a cashier during downtime (after market finishes their portion of the McLane delivery, they send us the red totes). The checklanes aren't much work to zone; we step out and zone between guests.

One Spot: Plano sets and fills One Spot the first time. After that, flow fills it if they have time (rarely), otherwise they leave it for the front end. We have a specific cashier who does most of the One Spot push. This area is almost never zoned.

Trading Cards: Out Excell vendor fills them. Once in a great while, a cashier will attempt to zone them, but they usually look like shit until the vendor's next visit.

Re-Shop: Front end re-shop is usually handled by a cashier during downtime. One Spot is re-shopped on Saturdays when we actually have enough cashiers. The checklanes are easy except when Guest Service gives us the wrong batteries because they refuse to Smart Sort. We have a separate bin for Excell re-shop so the vendor can take care of it, but we always find them in the One Spot re-shop and nobody knows where they're supposed to go.

I'm just curious, how do your stores handle pushing and re-shopping merchandise at the front end? At my store, we do the following:

Checklanes: Endcaps are set and filled by the GSTLs. They drop POG fills and send a cashier to find the other items (not in the POG fill) on the sales floor. Gum and candy are usually pushed by a cashier during downtime (after market finishes their portion of the McLane delivery, they send us the red totes). The checklanes aren't much work to zone; we step out and zone between guests.

One Spot: Plano sets and fills One Spot the first time. After that, flow fills it if they have time (rarely), otherwise they leave it for the front end. We have a specific cashier who does most of the One Spot push. This area is almost never zoned.

Trading Cards: Out Excell vendor fills them. Once in a great while, a cashier will attempt to zone them, but they usually look like shit until the vendor's next visit.

Re-Shop: Front end re-shop is usually handled by a cashier during downtime. One Spot is re-shopped on Saturdays when we actually have enough cashiers. The checklanes are easy except when Guest Service gives us the wrong batteries because they refuse to Smart Sort. We have a separate bin for Excell re-shop so the vendor can take care of it, but we always find them in the One Spot re-shop and nobody knows where they're supposed to go.

I can answer for my last store....

Checklanes: same

SSS: Same, except GSA/GSTL is responsible for flex/fill and doing PTMs.

Trading Cards: One of my areas I owned. Cashiers zone it everyday. Excel fills SOMETIMES, but usually ended up being my responsibility to flex/fill and label everything. We were the #1 or #2 store in the area for TC sales actually ;)

Front end/SSS reshop: Front end handles it. Usually every evening.

Check lanes: endcaps are set by presentation unless they ask the GSTL/GSA to help. Gum and candy is generally done by the cashiers. Zoning is by the cashiers and GSA/GSTL.

One spot: filled by flow or sometimes the GSA/GSTL. Zoned by the GSA/GSTL and service desk and very rarely a cashier.

Trading cards: no clue who fills them, Food Ave is required to zone this daily.

Promo: no clue who fills it, but is required to be zoned daily by Starbucks (or a cashier or GSA/GSTL if they get behind).

Reshop: one spot is handled by service desk, GSA/GSTL, cashiers and cart attendant. Lanes, trading cards and promo is handle by the cashiers.

At my store, as far as I know:

Checklanes: Endcaps are set by GSTL/GSA; actual planos are done by Planogram. Filled and zoned by cashiers.

One Spot: I think this is a mix of GSTL/Plano. I've seen Plano set and fill it, but in the big reset this week, it was captained by the GSTL and he put his own team together consisting of random cashiers and SF folks, not Plano TM's. It's zoned (ha) by GS and cashiers.

Trading Cards: Primarily filled by the vendor; zoned every day by a cashier. It would look like crap otherwise; and how else would we find all those empty packages shoved in the back? :p

Promo run is set and filled by GSTL; as a PA who works liquor I help him out when I'm pushing but it's not my responsibility.

Reshop: One spot is mostly guest service; the rest is cashier.

Our front end takes care of all the above. Plano will do the labels & get help from the front end with pushing. All reshop for the front end, is done by the front end, not Salesfloor. Zoning is done daily for all end caps, spot & trading cards, too.

Check lanes: POGS set by POG team, sales planners set by GSTLs. I have some involvement with making sure new release movies get set every week. Cart attendant or cashiers help find product on the floor.

One spot: set by POG team, filled by a flow TM on one of the non truck days every week, and it's not ever really zoned. Abandon is worked by guest service TMs.

Trading cards: rarely zoned by cashiers, abandon worked by cashiers (also rarely)

Re-shop/abandon: we keep a basket at guest services for the check lanes abandon. It's rarely worked out though.
Candy/McLane: worked by cashiers in mornings when it's slow.

Checklanes: POGs planned and set by GSAs. We scheduled what would go where, and when it would be dropped, when it would be built. Only exception was battery endcaps (flow usually did this for us) and new release, which the electronics TM would initially setup and we would maintain.

One Spot: POG team took care of pulling salvage merch out. GSA/Service Desk TM would push it daily and fill holes.

Trading Cards: Excel would take care 1x weekly, I'd generally have a cashier zone it every few days.

Reshop: GSA/cashiers would push during downtime.

Candly/McLane: Cashiers/Guest Service would push during downtime.

Checklanes: Endcaps are planned and set by GSTL or ETL-GE since i'm the only GSTL right now. We fill and sometimes have a cashier help if possible. Gum and Candy are worked on daily by cashiers in the morning. If it's too busy and we get behind we have a Smart Huddle on Wednesdays to help us get caught up and flex checklanes as well. We zone checklanes in between guests and before close and put batches in every morning to fill.

One Spot: Plano sets and fills One Spot the first time. Flow fills daily and always the same set of ladies who do it. A GSA did captain this but she quit so right now no one does just because of 4th quarter. I do schedule myself 2 hours early every monday to work on this and filling giftcards before open. We zone every single night along with putting away the abandon. Either guest service or a cashier if we have any downtime. If we can't get it done while the store is open we send all the cashiers over there at close and they can usually get it done within 15 minutes before they leave. If we don't do it nightly or someone slacks it gets bad quick. Usually ETL-GE will help with this and I'm proud to say it is by far the best looking SSS in our district and we've been told that many times. Several different stores were told to partner with us to get a routine to get theirs looking like ours does. I was the captain of that when I was still a GSA so it's something I still put at the top of my priority list. Also, if it's zoned you will sell it much faster.

Trading Cards: Excell vendor fills them about once a week. Guest Service zones every day. We don't even flex and print labels but that's something I am going to look into now..I've never really thought about it before.

Re-Shop: This is random. Usually a cashier or GSTL but also salesfloor helps out with this.

We also zone all of C block and green stike.

Then when they want to take a cashier from me to help out somewhere else I usually laugh at them.

Thank you all for your responses. Front end merchandise seems to be one of those gray areas because the front end team is expected to have a much greater focus on guest service (and we rarely have any downtime), and I wanted to see how other stores handle it.

Checklanes: Endcaps set by GSTL. Zoned every so often. GSTL sends the person working at photo to fill them since photo isn't usually too busy.

One Spot: From 10PM to 11:15PM when the last cashier leaves, one is usually assigned to go zone and reshop over there, and goes up for backup when needed. By zone, I mean they "zone" it.

Trading Cards: The Forsaken Zone. We all kind of forget about it.

Checklanes: End cap is tied by GSTL like you said, but actually filling it and putting up the plano is done by a cashier. I think some end caps are done by vendors? Gum/Candy is done primarily by a specific veteran cashier. I have helped with it with other seasonal cashiers before though, usually in the early mornings. Zoned constantly throughout the day by GSTL/GSA, cashiers when there are no lines (rare), and CA. CA is supposed to stock bags and put medium bag boxes under every register every night (and bring the pallet leftovers into the supply closet), but it seems I am the only one that does it regularly.

One Spot: Zoned by SD when they have downtime. Mostly zoned by a spare cashier if we have 3-4 on. We only had 2 tonight and I ended up doing that and CA duties (no CA scheduled :( ). Seems we have a cashier team doing the One Spot push now. I don't mind, it was easy. Have seen a flow TM pushing a few boxes, but I think its mostly a cashier thing (I have done it at least 4 times now and know another who does it when I am not there). We sell so much one spot so it becomes flex at a certain point. Most strays I have seen was 2 full carts week of black friday.

Trading Cards: Done periodically by myself. Other cashiers will attempt it, but with the low hrs we have right now it might get done 2~3 times a week. It isn't normally too bad though.

Strays: Usually I just take what is there in a hand basket, put back what I can as a CA and then leave the basket for a vet cashier. If cashiering I do it during downtime, mostly at close. Have never seen a full cart of it. The new SD TM likes to mix one spot and checklane strays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back