Archived Front end or Instocks core role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.

So I would love to know who's responsibility it is to stock pegged items at the checklanes? I am a newer GSTL and the Backroom TL came and dumped a bunch of them on checklane 1 at about 11:00 am. and said "these need to be worked". I politely (or not politely depending on who you ask) told him we are busy focusing on guest service, please have instocks manage their workload more effectively in the mornings to include stocking these items. Backroom TL was irate :angry: and tried to tell me it is my job to stock them. I disagreed and did not do it. Am I wrong? Any help is appreciated thanks guys!

The only way I can imagine Instocks being involved at the front end is if they're Researching those items. It is the front end team's responsibility to actually stock the items. And by front end team, I mean GSTL/GSA because the cashiers are obviously busy cashing out guests unless it's quiet.

If you get any down time between answering blinkers, speedweaving, dealing with *****es at Guest Service, etc., you should either stock the items (remember, Full and Impactful) or pull a cashier to do it if it's not busy.

Yep, our gstl always does the stocking or gets help from one of the cashiers.

Depends on the store...at my last store (low volume). It initially was the Fronts responsibility to stock the pegs and endcaps, then it switched to backroom doing them when the hours got cut to 2 cashiers. And the front was only responsible for candy.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone's Flow team stock front end items? The endcaps are either filled by vendors (as is the trading card wall) or GSTL/GSA and the candy comes in the red totes to be worked throughout the day, but what about the impulse buys and One Spot?

I know the few things we pull from the backroom for the front end conveniently end up getting set aside in the manuals for flow to deal with.....when no one is trying to check out.....

Our flow does stuff to the frontend. Our gstl's do sale planners, exf & push candy/one spot every day. They keep a very sharp eye for missing items. That's they are always green on every visit. Plus, great leadership too.

We toss the cl items in a cart and work them last, usually me (cosmetic captain) or the same flow dude when I'm backroom. For some reason we all hate it, so poor flow boy gets stuck. Instocks researches our lanes once a week and works out the pull, but other then that one pull front end stocks it and is expected to put in exf batches or shoot outs if they need to bulk up ends. Front end has also taken over see spot and our instocks no longer scans it, which was a waste or time for us anyway. The other day I also trained a GSA on how to pull so she could tie and pull her own endcaps! My team lead finally had enough of her refusing to use the planning sheet and then dropping pog batches when the heck ever..... You know like right at noon..... My team loves to drop ridiculous batches on me right as caf pulls are ready!

Well, the thing is. I work in a ULV store. So all day it is basically me at the front lanes. I get a half hour of overlap each day with a GSA. We are scheduled so ridiculously light (1 cashier until 11:00. Then maybe we will get 2 until about 3 or 4) Also, we are single coverage in guest service so i am always backing up over there or cashier. Our STL is not the greatest and hoards flex hours. So basically I don't have the time to do B.S. that can be done before the store opens. I spoke with my ETL and dropped the (service is Q3 priority, we can't have cashiers doing side tasks all day) she surprisingly agreed with me. I think I started a war haha oh well the backroom TL thinks he is the Alpha male because he carries keys. Not happening, ihave access to the money yo. haha. Thanks for all the input guys!

Flow should be stocking at least SOME of the front end freight... I'm used to have **** dumped on my shoulders though by now... Heck the other week the signing person just dropped off all of their signs on me and told me they couldn't get to it.. haha great. :/

Our flow puts CL and Y with X and then it sits on a pallet on the line all day. Then it gets put with the rest of the One Spot in the backroom and eventually gets worked by GS on the weekend. I do not like this, but when I type it out, it kind of makes sense since all that stuff is in the front. I just feel like it should be worked sooner.

It all depends on a store-to-store basis, and payroll allocations. One neighboring store has a TM come in at 6am, push candy and SSS and then at 8am starts cashiering.

We call the BR for SSS to be brought to us, and the morning GS/GSTL/and a cashier work on it, while a cashier works on candy.

this is handled on a day to day basis for us. The frontend does all candy and gum and we help out with everything else. Most of the time flow does SSS along with HL ETL, LOG ETL, and the GSTL/GSA and a cashier if we can spare. Pretty much the only thing we stock at the checklanes is the giftcards for applebees? No idea but that always gets dumped at our GSTL register.

Hey everyone.

So I would love to know who's responsibility it is to stock pegged items at the checklanes? I am a newer GSTL and the Backroom TL came and dumped a bunch of them on checklane 1 at about 11:00 am. and said "these need to be worked". I politely (or not politely depending on who you ask) told him we are busy focusing on guest service, please have instocks manage their workload more effectively in the mornings to include stocking these items. Backroom TL was irate :angry: and tried to tell me it is my job to stock them. I disagreed and did not do it. Am I wrong? Any help is appreciated thanks guys!

Instocks is not responsible for working any of the pulls. If it was an early morning autofill the flow team should stock it. If it was a priority pull or CAF it is the responsibility of the salesfloor team. At our store the front end stocks their CAF and IS pulls. They are also responsible for SSS. Instocks is responsible for scanning research and RIGs and PTM's at the front end.

My flow team will stock freight and autofills at the front end. Mclanes is done by the front end team. The only time we will not have flow work the checklanes is when there is a lot of traffic at the front. They only see red shirts and wonder why these people are not hopping on a lane. The perception is that they don't care about the guests. SSS and cartwell is also done by the flow team. The front end does take care of zoning those areas though. The thing is, if you have a large truck and the front end is not busy, as a team leader you should be thinking globally and step in and help out. The flow team (at my store) helps with carryouts/carryins and restroom checks. Its all about 1 team. We are all stretched and if you can help out you should.Just like when you push the additional cashier button the salesfloor responds. Nothing gets me more in the one team environment is when someone says "it's not my job". to make sure the shelves are stocked and driving sales is everyones job just like guest service.The added comment about having instocks manage their workload was uncalled for. You could have said that guest traffic was picking up and that was priority, and then asked him to put it in a 2 tier, if you had time you would see what you could do.

I feel like we have two teams. Logistics and SF. I'm okay with that. It sucks that the STL is on the SF team though, but I don't want him on my team anyway. He should be neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back