Archived Front lanes support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come down to ULV town and you can hang with the real GSAs, not the country club ones at your store mrk ;)

I can't even fathom how you guys get anything done in your ULV stores. I do have a couple great GSAs, I just rarely work with them.

Wow Cel , I really hate to hear about the way they are treating you. It sounds like they would be in trouble without you. When you get your other job they are in for a rude awakening. You hang in there & I'll be hoping things get better for you soon.

Reactions: Cel
Cel, I couldn't imagine any of the team leads in my store talking like that to me, but to be fair every single one of them knows they would lose a battle of wits with me so they usually avoid confrontation with me.

If you really wanted to screw with them perhaps you should get a doctor's note stating you have to be on light duty until your leg stops acting up. Then if they force you to do carts they would be risking legal action,

As a TPS, when the lanes get hairy, technically the 'rule' is that the GSA/GSTL is supposed to hop on a lane, and the LOD will watch/weave.
This never happens. Our ETLs dont give a damn about any workcenter but their own, so unless the ETL-GE is there at the moment, it just won't happen. Since i'm doing door/floor routines, the understood agreement is that I'll drive the lanes until someone gets up there.

Basically the other TLs and some of the ETLs know that AP is a very distinct work center. We don't push pulls. We don't do reshop. So if I'm up at the front of the lanes saying 'she can take ten or less up there,' or 'sales floor i need two cashiers to backup, i already have gsa on a lane' or 'we need backup to guest services' .... they know that it's already stretched too far beyond the intentions of the 'rule.' The GSAs/GSTLs understand (since I've had to speak with them about it many times) that I dont really mind doing this stuff if it's a slow crime day. I need to be up there to be observant for people entering and exiting the building. I also get a chance to teach and train about coupon policy, how to identify suspicious transactions, BOB, LISA, etc. I'm also around to get change requests for cashiers, blinkers, etc. But they know as soon as a code yellow gets called, or a known subject is in the building. I'm gonna announce LOD/TLOD here's the situation at the front lanes, I've got AP concerns that need immediate attention, this needs someone else to man the torpedoes...

usually it works alright. As long as you're friendly with the guests and with your backup people, recognizing that maybe getting people balancing to help from each work center ... helps not strain the SL team during an adjacency set or something ... then usually things go smoothly.

We have a GSTL who doesn't really care about the checklanes either, but we've been getting a lot more support up front as of late. And I think I can not-so-humbly say that I got them to start supporting us again. It's all about building strong partnerships with the team leaders in the store. If the floor has had call ins, can you loan a TM to work pulls or zone? Can you do any sales floor projects from the front end?

Meet with the LOD during your shift EVERY time, and ask what's happening on the floor today. Ask about call ins, how heavy the pulls are, zoning, etc etc; and let them know that you can try sending a team member to help with ____ if it's slow enough. Tell them about what you have going on up front, so they know you aren't just screwing around. Don't tell them you're going to speedweave and drive REDcards. Tell them that you're going to try pulling and filling checklane endcaps, flexing in OneSpot, backstocking candy in the front-end stockroom, etc etc. If your task list is light; ask if they have any projects you can do AT the checklanes. Or, if you're going to be shorthanded because of call ins, make sure you're able to speak to that. When leaders in the building walk the floor (or "spin") this is sort of what they're doing. Do a compressed version of that at the checklanes with your LOD. You're scheduled to lead the front, and that means having a plan for your shift :) It's all about letting them know that it's a two-way street, and you WILL be returning the favor whenever you are able. Because if you aren't willing to help them, why should they be willing to help you ;)

Thank you. I like this. Of course the big problem is getting some of the LODs to acknowledge my existence to come up and do a walk when I start. Most of them won't talk to me for most of the night if they can avoid it.

Meet with the LOD during your shift EVERY time, and ask what's happening on the floor today. Ask about call ins, how heavy the pulls are, zoning, etc etc; and let them know that you can try sending a team member to help with ____ if it's slow enough.

I've heard this before (that ETL-Log asked if I'd ever sent a cashier out to work a reshop cart or push a CAF), and while I appreciate the intent, what I told him is still true at my store. I'll be happy to do that as soon as I get enough cashiers scheduled that I can have one off a lane for 5 minutes without calling for fast service between 10 AM and 7:30 PM, because otherwise it's a zero sum game. Either I call said cashier back up before they can do anything, or I call another sales floor employee up instead. Outside of those times I only have 1 cashier scheduled. Not to mention that 95% of my cashiers don't know how to use a PDA or read a merch location if they did, and they're not off a lane long enough for me to teach them. As it stands the best I can do is occasionally having someone zone girls and accessories during the 6:30-7:30 PM block so they can run back over if they see a line.

As is I'm usually calling for fast service 50% of the day anyway, even with both cashiers (never >2) constantly checking people out, and pushing/zoning/stock balancing the lanes if they have a free few minutes. Nevermind the inevitable backup calls during breaks or lunches. I'd love to be able to loan people to support other workcenters when it's slow. It's just never slow enough to do that, or if it is, I only have 1 cashier (hell half the time when it isn't slow I still only have 1 cashier).

From reading your GSTL thread, it sounds like you're higher volume than we are. I've never worked alongside my GSTL, except when I was scheduled at service desk, or my GSTL was LOD (SrTL). My team right now on any given shift is myself, 1-2 cashiers, and if it's between Noon and 8 PM, one GSTM. Extend GSTM to 8 AM (end time stays the same) on weekends. Cashier #s stay the same.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, and even though our store is a ULV too, we've been getting more cashier hours than usual. What I've found is that even if you don't actually help the sales floor, if they know that you'll try to help them when you can, that usually just makes the difference for us

I've been a GSA in a C P-Fresh and am currently one in an A Super. I left my first store back in 2009. The coverage I have now in my Super is about the same as the coverage I had back then in my old store, so I can't imagine how you ULVs do it nowadays. I wouldn't want to go back.

That said, the higher-volumes aren't always all they're cracked up to be. In my smaller store, I could at least jump over to Guest Service or Food Ave and still be able to see all of my checklanes. Impossible in a larger store. There are also two sets of doors to cover, which means two cartwells that frequently need attention whenever we're without a CA. Full basket transactions tend to be a lot more frequent too, given the number of guests that do all of their grocery shopping here. In the time it takes to do one full grocery transaction, another lane can move through 6 or 7 guests (God, what I wouldn't do to have express lanes back!)

So, my question...especially for the GSAs, but anyone else who wants to respond...how supported are you by the LODs? Are you left to sink or swim on your own, or is there really some sort of team playing happening? I need to know if my store is particularly bad about this, and there is hope for change, or if this is how it is everywhere and there's no chance in hell of any difference happening.

RG... that sucks that your Leaders feel that way about the front end. The degree of support varies at my store: There are days when I get 4-5 people responding to one backup call, and still other shifts when it's like pulling teeth to get someone to come up. I am fortunate to have built a good relationship with our TLs and ETLs, to the point where this store now feels like my "home" store. (I couldn't have said that one year ago) Our ETL-GE is also our advocate (most of the other leaders in the building are scared of her, lol...including our STL).

I'm assuming your ETL-GE is really the ETL-Salesfloor/GE? (meaning their focus is about 80% floor, 20% front; at least that's how it felt at my previous store)
If that's the case, I can see why you're getting inconsistent support from him.

If I were you, I'd find your most supportive Leader in the building and have a chat with him/her about your desire to maintain the front end in light of you losing a GSTL. Ask them what wins and opportunities they see from you, personally, and then the front end as a whole. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a place to start. If that fails, I'd start considering transfer to another workcenter or even another store.

The culture definitely varies by store, and it sounds like you drew the short straw. For that I'm sorry. There is hope out there!

Yes, the size of the store makes a big difference. I'm in a high volume super & we have Starbucks & the café. That is why I complain when the slowest person I've ever met is GSA. She hides, she never has the LPDA but gets really angry if a cashier turns on their blinker. She either "forgets" to give cashiers their breaks or sends them at really weird times. She is also the one that constantly calls for back up instead of moving guests to open lanes. Most of the time when she calls for a back up we don't really need one. All the other GSAs & the GSTL will hop on a lane for a minute, but she will not touch a register. Speed weaving is supposed to be a big part of the job. It makes a big difference at our store.

So I started taking pictures today to document what I walked into on a starting GSA shift, it amused me for awhile. Reshop still in register bins and on counters and coolers and endcaps. Hangers still in the can, filled to the brim. Endcaps with multiple outs and critical lows, including an entire shelf of smartwater that our store has negative onhands of. Restroom checklists and Daily checklist unfiled. Battery cart salesplanner from last week still only partially set and partially filled, with a highly amusing note saying "Sr GSTL will do Saturday!" (this being Monday obviously, whoopsie, apparently I'm not the only one not getting everything done!). Battery endcap still unset, old POG has expired out of the system so the partially filled and unset endcap is untied as well.

Tried to use the Sr GSTL's suggested tactic of giving the lone cashier a walkie and having the LOD watch the front while I filled endcaps in the first hour. DTL and some other bigwigs nobody bothered to introduce me to were there so was told no. LOD proceeds to have a 2 hour long meeting with them in Starbucks, still said no despite being in visual range of the whole front. Since no GSTM until noon, and then a cavalcade of breaks and lunches to deal with (plus a callout that was never replaced for the last hour of my shift), and the fact that I of course was the only person to do carts until after 5 PM, endcaps didn't get filled except the ones the vendors came in for (coke cooler, frito lay cheetos sidecap, magazines, etc.).

So I started taking pictures today to document what I walked into on a starting GSA shift, it amused me for awhile. Reshop still in register bins and on counters and coolers and endcaps. Hangers still in the can, filled to the brim. Endcaps with multiple outs and critical lows, including an entire shelf of smartwater that our store has negative onhands of. Restroom checklists and Daily checklist unfiled. Battery cart salesplanner from last week still only partially set and partially filled, with a highly amusing note saying "Sr GSTL will do Saturday!" (this being Monday obviously, whoopsie, apparently I'm not the only one not getting everything done!). Battery endcap still unset, old POG has expired out of the system so the partially filled and unset endcap is untied as well.

Tried to use the Sr GSTL's suggested tactic of giving the lone cashier a walkie and having the LOD watch the front while I filled endcaps in the first hour. DTL and some other bigwigs nobody bothered to introduce me to were there so was told no. LOD proceeds to have a 2 hour long meeting with them in Starbucks, still said no despite being in visual range of the whole front. Since no GSTM until noon, and then a cavalcade of breaks and lunches to deal with (plus a callout that was never replaced for the last hour of my shift), and the fact that I of course was the only person to do carts until after 5 PM, endcaps didn't get filled except the ones the vendors came in for (coke cooler, frito lay cheetos sidecap, magazines, etc.).

Proof, bitches!

I no longer give a flying fuck. Today I talked to my etl-ge and etl-hr about the fact that they promised me every other weekend off and didn't do it, and I knew they couldn't do it, but was fine with it as long as they were honest about it. They are still promising to do it, even when I told them I knew we were losing the GSTL (which they denied). Then i told them I would be willing to step up and do more for leadership. And then the etl-hr told me that there were too many gaps for me (even though the etl-ge told me last week I was doing an amazing job and he had no real opps for me) and that she was sure that I knew them and that the etl, and two gstls had been talking to me about those.

Wow...ok...umm...no....

So in other words, I'll just go back to assuming I am doing shitty job unless told otherwise, and knowing that worrying about anything outside my limited scope is unappreciated/unwarranted.

I no longer give a flying fuck. Today I talked to my etl-ge and etl-hr about the fact that they promised me every other weekend off and didn't do it, and I knew they couldn't do it, but was fine with it as long as they were honest about it. They are still promising to do it, even when I told them I knew we were losing the GSTL (which they denied). Then i told them I would be willing to step up and do more for leadership. And then the etl-hr told me that there were too many gaps for me (even though the etl-ge told me last week I was doing an amazing job and he had no real opps for me) and that she was sure that I knew them and that the etl, and two gstls had been talking to me about those.

Wow...ok...umm...no....

So in other words, I'll just go back to assuming I am doing shitty job unless told otherwise, and knowing that worrying about anything outside my limited scope is unappreciated/unwarranted.

Carrot dangling from a stick.

My store gets good support when it comes to the guests from all the LODs. One LOD who happens to be our etl-GE is such a bitch when it comes to one on one with TMs. If I have a question or concern she always seems to belittle me and other TMs.

Yes, the size of the store makes a big difference. I'm in a high volume super & we have Starbucks & the café. That is why I complain when the slowest person I've ever met is GSA. She hides, she never has the LPDA but gets really angry if a cashier turns on their blinker. She either "forgets" to give cashiers their breaks or sends them at really weird times. She is also the one that constantly calls for back up instead of moving guests to open lanes. Most of the time when she calls for a back up we don't really need one. All the other GSAs & the GSTL will hop on a lane for a minute, but she will not touch a register. Speed weaving is supposed to be a big part of the job. It makes a big difference at our store.
One of our GSAs refuses to call back up when it is really needed. There could be a line 5 deep with only two cashiers and he will rarely hope on. If his friends come in he will talk with them but not help me if I blink my light or if I need change. He really makes me mad at times.

As a GSA, I was considered good enough to head the mass-training when a sister store was opening nearby.
I was considered good enough to be the go-to for EITs & interns for GE training.
I was also the one who everyone up front came to whenever there was a problem & I was always there because everyone else had limited avail.
But, when it came to promotion, I wasn't good enough so - like RG - I eventually ran out of f**ks to give.

As a GSA, I was considered good enough to head the mass-training when a sister store was opening nearby.
I was considered good enough to be the go-to for EITs & interns for GE training.
I was also the one who everyone up front came to whenever there was a problem & I was always there because everyone else had limited avail.
But, when it came to promotion, I wasn't good enough so - like RG - I eventually ran out of f**ks to give.

That's pretty much it.

My biggest annoyance right now is when there are 3 or 4 call outs on the front lanes and it is mostly sales floor TMs scheduled to cashier that day. It is a noticeable pattern. Can we maybe just stop scheduling these TMs that call out ever cashier shift? And then no one does anything to try and get those shifts covered and we are screwed the entire day.

That's pretty much it.

Carrot and stick -

5CA8F1H.jpg

All due credit to Weird Al's 'Mission Statement' video for this.

That's pretty much it.

Carrot and stick -

5CA8F1H.jpg

All due credit to Weird Al's 'Mission Statement' video for this.

I swear he just ran down list of Target buzzwords for that video.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought when I watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back