Archived Frustrated with the work ethic of fellow team members at my store

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES, I know it's not the best job, and YES, I know it can suck sometimes, but man it really sucks when you do your job and others don't. To top it off, there seems like there is no accountability whatsoever at my store if you don't do your job.

I work in the backroom and it can be also frustrating because everyone wants to leave stuff back there. For instance, we have reds in front of all the aisles back there where the backstock goes. Not only do people leave backstock there, but they leave defective merchandise there along with stuff that needs to be clearances and all types of crap. And I'm the type of guy that's going to clean up and put it where it all needs to go, unlike some backroom team members. But why couldn't the people that put it there just put it where it needed to go in the first place? Ugghhhh, it's frustrating, some guy today left a huge box full of pillows in the middle of the floor in the back and told some guy who told me it was backstock. Sorry for all the complaining, it's just been one of those days.

That's what we're here for.
Everybody needs to rant and it's hard to do at work without people giving you dreck for it.
Any way to point out some of this stuff to your TL?
I'm not talking about ratting anyone out but making a general plea for better procedures?

That's what we're here for.
Everybody needs to rant and it's hard to do at work without people giving you dreck for it.
Any way to point out some of this stuff to your TL?
I'm not talking about ratting anyone out but making a general plea for better procedures?

I'm too damn nice. I'd never single anyone out, and I don't want to complain and be known as THAT guy. Our ETL knows what's up. He recently removed a guy who doesn't do anything from the backroom. Now he's just a caf pusher. Today he was leaving all his trash on his pulls and the other day I know for a fact he wasn't pushing all of his pulls but putting backstock clips on them. It's annoying. I should say something, but I probably won't. We're cool, he just doesn't do anything. When he was in the backroom all he did was pulls. That's it. Didn't do backstock, didn't tidy up the backroom before he left, nothing. He was finally removed because he had a crapload of errors and was killing our location accuracy.

I'm "THAT guy." Logistics is the backbone of the store, and I like to make sure it's running as well as possible. I don't run to my TL about every piece of trash left in backstock vehicles, but if there is a pattern of laziness that's hurting my productivity, you bet I let someone know about it. I have my TL's respect and he knows I will be honest about my fellow TMs. People will say "Oh, don't worry about it, your TL and ETL already know about who sucks," but sometimes they don't.

Poor pay, poor hours, poor benefits, poor raises and no incentives from Target means that the only thing that keeps people from doing the very least they can do is a person own personal work ethic. Sadly people with a strong work ethic tend to get taken advantage of at Target and in the end get disgusted and leave. The best thing you can do is not let it get to you and just do what you can do.

Poor pay, poor hours, poor benefits, poor raises and no incentives from Target means that the only thing that keeps people from doing the very least they can do is a person own personal work ethic. Sadly people with a strong work ethic tend to get taken advantage of at Target and in the end get disgusted and leave. The best thing you can do is not let it get to you and just do what you can do.

Exactly,

whats so frustrating at my store is that these people complain absolutely constantly. Its insane. Guys complain about their hours and than I no joke listen to them turn hours down later that day.

Last edited:
Things like that are either done out of ignorance or complacency. New people won't exactly know how to handle defective merch or what they can do to make backroom neat for whoever is backstocking. Others have just been there forever and stopped caring a long time ago.

I don't think friendly reminders will label you as 'THAT guy' but I guess people can be rather spiteful when it comes to being offered advice. I think as long as you have a good working relationship with a few people from each team, your boundaries might expand a bit to where you can remind people without your head getting bitten off.

I feel ya backroom does get dumped on sometimes..eh a lot. I try to cover my backrooms butts as much as possible, they always come and let me know when something is not going their way or someone is using them. One day the front end dropped their check lanes exf's and what have ya and called the backroom about the pull. Then they asked them to go to 2, I went to 2 to see what the conversation was about since its my area. They were giving them a detailed list of fixtures they needed, I intervened told the GSTL that backroom responsibility stops at the door of the fixture room we do not deal with fixtures. I told the backroom team to politely tell them NO and let me know about it. I get ETL's and TL's that come to me with I asked your BR to do this and they said they couldn't you wouldn't allow it, and we would discuss why. 90% of the time I win the argument when I don't I get my ETL logistics involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back