Archived Generation Y and Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Targets decent policies when it comes to working around to school hours might have something to do with this.

I figured Target was high on the list, but probably not this high. I never figured Walmart would be that high.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2012/01/09/the-future-of-work-top-10-employers-of-gen-y-workers/

Don't know why you would be so surprised.... Just look at the demographics.

Generation Y = Largest percentage of the population with limited work experience and lowest education levels.

Target/Wal-Mart = Major employers who hire people with limited work experience and lowest education levels.

Targets decent policies when it comes to working around to school hours might have something to do with this.
Bingo!
....or...Spot on!
Walmart being so high up isn't much of a surprise to me. Aren't they the largest employer in the U.S ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bingo!
....or...Spot on!
Walmart being so high up isn't much of a surprise to me. Aren't they the largest employer in the U.S ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

They are the largest private employer, yes.

I think it has more to do with the global recession than anything else. Looking at youth unemployment statistics is depressing.

They are the largest private employer, yes.

I think it has more to do with the global recession than anything else. Looking at youth unemployment statistics is depressing.

That's true. Didn't think about that. I did apply at 24 other places in a period of 7 months before I got my job at Target.
It's that whole catch about jobs and experience. Younger people, 16 to 20 years old can't get a job because they don't have experience. They can't get experience unless they have a job.
And with the unemployment rate around 8 percent all together, they're competing with much more experienced people for jobs that would usually go to a teen e.g. fast food and retail.
That's not to say older people don't work in retail. I work with 2 sales floor TMs that have been at Target for 10 years. Though I do find it kind of odd that they haven't applied to be a team lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back