Archived Given two dayside backroom shifts, haven't had time to finish training...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullMonkey

Ex-Backroom Badass
So I've been given two weekend backroom shifts (12 to 6 on Saturday and Sunday, some of our busier days), and so far no one has found time to train me on the few things I still don't know how to do. Namely regarding Flex, Autofills, and equipment.

Should I just harass them and make them find time? Or can someone here give me some input. I read the dayside thread in Guides, but I still feel a little lost. How would y'all train someone on these?

I work Flow, a lot, so I know a lot already, just not as much as I'd like in order to feel comfortable closing backroom.

What exactly are you lost on? I feel like the guides give you a decent amount of info that you need. You'll mainly be pulling batches and weaving in backstock in the meantime, making sure to check for any flex orders that drop in about every half hour. Your main concern is the scheduled CAF in the PULL function. All of those batches need to be out of the gun by the time the next hour rolls around. If you won't make it, tell someone (anyone else on backroom or an LOD.)

Not every store is the same so they may expect you to pull research, PTM, D-code, or do the audit. If you haven't had this type of shift before, you should definitely be asking someone beforehand, especially if the info in that guides only confused you. Ask your backroom TL or your logistics ETL if need be.

Yeah, I've been trying to get with people to get shown the rest of what I don't know, but we simply haven't had time.
I'm probably just more worried than anything and panicking, but still...

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. You can read all you want about how to do to backroom but it's a lot easier when you just start doing it. Ideally, you'd be shadowing someone but we all know how that goes...

Really, just do your best not to let the CAFs roll over. What you do after the CAFs is important, but based on your store you'll learn what you should be doing and prioritizing. Short of literally starting a fire, you won't break the backroom during a couple of mids. If you know how to use workbench, there's some good backroom info there, too. With pictures.

Maybe I will just start a fire...

Yeah, I honestly doubt I'll be shadowing anyone. This has been a common thing for a while now. Giving a Flow TM one or two backroom shifts, and seeing what happens.

This quote may help more from our guide:
At my store (AA vol Super Target, overnight process for flow), this is how I ran the dayside backroom:

Before 11am:
First one comes in at 8 am, gets equipment and checks to see if the 7am CAF was pulled (why the hell does this even exist anyways?) immediately followed by Suspect Date Audit.
Check in with O/N if they haven't left yet to see if there's anything they want done right away.
Walk the backroom noting any backstock to be completed, things out of place to be fixed, etc.
Pull research batches.

Pull POGs, PTMs, EXFs, MIRs, Sweeps, take care of backstock, do the audit batch, item merge, and any other task I am forgetting. The actual priority of each of these tasks is dependent on the rest of the store. If there are some sales planner POGs in the gun and the floor is calling for them, I'll make it happen before others. If there's a ton of backstock and O/N did not specifically tell me to leave it for them to finish, I'll prioritize that. If the audits haven't been gettting done, I'll try to hit that first if I can. If NONE of that has been getting done, I'm probably in a very bad mood that day.

As a general rule, I usually put PTM pulls on the bottom of my priority list unless someone is actually asking for them since our Sales Floor is TERRIBLE at working them. PTMs have a tendency to hang around the backroom for 1-2 weeks getting pushed from one end to the other before someone finally decides to work it to the floor.

11am-6pm:
CAF pulls
Other batches by request
Continue any tasks from above
Backstock CAF merchandise that comes back. Audit it if it looks like it wasn't worked properly (>50% of CAF comes back, several unopened cases)

6pm-9pm
Pull and stage price changes
Set the line for overnight
Stage all backstock
Pull TnT merchandise (if Monday night)
Backstock

Backroom81, Aug 20, 2013

Check if you are alone on those days, if not then you probably just there to push

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back