GM TL interview

I have been with Target for a little over a year now, I started in FOS and moved to GM around 3 months ago. I have been getting groomed for leadership so to say: given more responsibility, a TL mentor, being taught how to strategic plan as a GM TL, etc. I have an interview coming up soon for the GM TL position and though I have really good stats, I know I have less experience than the others interviewing. I’m a little nervous but I want to have the best interview possible. Are there interview tips anyone could give me? GM specific would be most helpful but everything is welcome!

I'm not at Target anymore, but I do have some mentor programs I participate in and this is the general advice I give to my mentees:

Focus less on how much experience you have and more on what you accomplished getting it. Speak to things you improved or changed.

It's OK to take a second to think about the question. It isn't a test. The questions on any middle level and up interview are meant to evoke thought.

Don't focus solely on the technical. Showcasing your ability to lead others is equally as important as showcasing your technical ability (unless it's for a technical job with no leadership aspect in which case go crazy).

Try not to be nervous. Frame it differently in your mind - is there a huge negative impact if you don't get it? If not, then frame it that way. At worst, you gain experience and insight into the process and lose nothing. Still a net gain.

At the very end, if you aren't selected, ask for feedback. This is especially valuable when interviewing internally and you know your interviewer. Use the feedback to improve.

Best of luck!

Interviewers don’t want the perfect answer, be yourself! When you answer questions remember to speak about your time at the front end and your accomplishments there. Just because the interview is for GM doesn’t mean experience needs to only be GM for answers, everyone wears the same target name tag at the end of the day. Good luck!

STAR
Situation - how does your answer relate to the question
Example: tell me about a time you had to make a tough decison
You - During college ect..... <--- you are painting them a picture so tehy can visually see your answer.
Task - what did you have to accomplish/what what was the issue or problem
Action - how did you solve this issue/what steps were taken.
Result - what was the final outcome.

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).

I think mentioning that you have experience managing a whore house in Nevada (even if you don’t) does two things.
It throws the interviewer off, and it shows if you can manage whores. A bunch of teenagers should be a walk in the park.

Edit: Interviewer will never contact a whore house to confirm your claims for two reasons. It might endanger their employment and it might also endanger their personal relationships.

Last edited:
Did they give you a sheet with the GM TL interview questions on it? Usually the SD or an ETL will give you that to prepare answers for the interview.

Back