Archived Going back to work post 1 year LOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So After a long ass year on an LOA for a medicial issue I should be returning finally given release from my surgeron. I will have major restrictions, plus being on strong pain meds due to back surgery in January. Pre back issue I was in electronics and supposed to be getting my raise to the $10+ range. But since A family member was moved over to tl of electronics. I am going to assume I wont be able to work electronics anymore? And my pay will no longer be as high as it was? Also is there any worries about being at work on narcotic pain medicine?

If working in electronics would be too much of a conflict of interest, your store may let you work in another workcenter of the same paygrade such as backroom, plano, etc.

Regarding the pain meds, you should ask your doctor how they might affect you. You might be able to work in a low-risk area (without powered equipment) such as cashier in the meantime.

But as @Produce Queen said, talk to your ETL-HR.

If working in electronics would be too much of a conflict of interest, your store may let you work in another workcenter of the same paygrade such as backroom, plano, etc.

Regarding the pain meds, you should ask your doctor how they might affect you. You might be able to work in a low-risk area (without powered equipment) such as cashier in the meantime.

But as @Produce Queen said, talk to your ETL-HR.
Unfortunately I do not think Back room is possible. I will have a low weight lifting limit, limits to bending over and such. But with a family member as a TL I can not work in the same department I assume? And if not Can I really be moved to another department and lose wages due to that?

But with a family member as a TL I can not work in the same department I assume? And if not Can I really be moved to another department and lose wages due to that?

You cannot, since it would be a conflict of interest. As for your wage, I believe that you are supposed to be guaranteed a position that is equal in pay to your current position, but this is Target that we're talking about so it's entirely possible that they might put you somewhere else. It also isn't guaranteed that you'll get all the hours you want either.

Unfortunately I do not think Back room is possible. I will have a low weight lifting limit, limits to bending over and such. But with a family member as a TL I can not work in the same department I assume? And if not Can I really be moved to another department and lose wages due to that?
Depends on your store's leadership. My store had family over family, and if anyone cared, it didn't matter.

Depends on your store's leadership. My store had family over family, and if anyone cared, it didn't matter.
Well I mean we are getting an electronics remodel this summer to the new electronics layout. I was the top sales at our store so Maybe I could stay who knows. I preferably would like to stay in electronics as That has been my main since I was hired, and I know more about it than most. I will most likely start back as operator due to restrictions I am sure. Hardlines would probably be too much of a strain , bending over ever few minutes and consistent lifting over 15 LBS. Last thing they need is me hurting my back and them in deep crap having to pay for revision surgery.

Whenever we have a TM on light duty after a surgery or whatever, we usually have them scheduled as a cashier and they run the self checkouts.

Well Talked to HR,and gave them my work restriction papers from my Doctor. I asked about where I would work, and pay concerns. I was told SInce my brother is a TL in electronics I would not be able to work sales floor, or in electronics. I could start in target Cafe, Softlines, cashier. He mentioned About logistics, but My restrictions would keep me from being able to be there. But pay would remain the same. They would put me in a work area with similar pay grade, and if any difference is there I would still keep my pay. Thank goodness on the pay side at least. I am going to try and see about doing Guest service or something along those lines as that would probably be easiest on my back.(if possible) My brother is graduating in the may time frame. ANd I think he hopes to become an ETL. BUt our store is filled with them currently. SO if he moves stores I could, and would probably move back.

I have a chronic pain condition and it has never been a problem for me to be on narcotic and other pain medication because I was honest with them from date of hire. I was hired as cashier though but mostly do cafe now. I am also trained on guest service.
Even though I have a chronic pain condition I am fine in cafe/cashier BUT Friday I was admitted to hospital and had my gallblader out. Soo i've been off the last few days and my surgeon has me on super light duty when I go back the 29th so I really am not sure what they are going to do with me (cashier probably but it says I cant sit or stand for more than 2 hours at a time, ha)..going to be interesting few weeks.

Just be super open and communicate any issues you have once you do return. it will be hard depending on your health issues but hopefully you work for a store that has a good leadership team that actually cares about their team members..

I have a chronic pain condition and it has never been a problem for me to be on narcotic and other pain medication because I was honest with them from date of hire. I was hired as cashier though but mostly do cafe now. I am also trained on guest service.
Even though I have a chronic pain condition I am fine in cafe/cashier BUT Friday I was admitted to hospital and had my gallblader out. Soo i've been off the last few days and my surgeon has me on super light duty when I go back the 29th so I really am not sure what they are going to do with me (cashier probably but it says I cant sit or stand for more than 2 hours at a time, ha)..going to be interesting few weeks.

Just be super open and communicate any issues you have once you do return. it will be hard depending on your health issues but hopefully you work for a store that has a good leadership team that actually cares about their team members..
Oh yes they have been great so far. Learned food ave basics/some star bucks basics already. I have been back 3 weeks now, and It has been fine, just when my back starts acting up I slow down, and dont bend over, or move around as much. Hope all goes well with your surgery, but you will most likely be a cashier, with a stool, so you can alternate sitting and standing when needed. Most likely will be limited to 4 hour shifts just to be safe. Just my guesses though. The reason I was mostly concerned about being on pain meds, is that Oxycodone is pretty strong, and on the worst of days, 2 Have to be taken at once. But has not been a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back