Archived Going to train in receiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Survey Queen

Im every where
Just found out today I will begain to train for receiving TM!
I was curious if anybody had any pointers or a few threads I could check out it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks fellow Target peeps!

I've tried to start a few threads, nothing has really stuck so far. I moved from Backroom to Receiving and I really like it so much more; best part is my STL has my back on my receiving hours - between 6 and noon no one can ask me to do anything, I am a department of one and I make my own routine. Plus, weekends off? Receiving is pretty cool.

Best advice for training is bring a notebook and take notes. Receiving is a very detail-intensive job. Make sure you know the PRO and SCAC for Fedex, Fedex Ground, UPS, how to check all of those in, how to check in Starbucks orders, etc. There are lots of little details it is helpful to write down until you remember them.

Also, chances are your store will be different from the one you train in, be sure to go in aware of that. You'll learn a lot of things that will carry over directly but not necessarily the routine. My trainer's routine was totally different from the one I wound up working, but you'll need to lay one out for yourself. Do some recon at your own store and chat with your TL/ETL, as well as the training Receiver about putting together a routine.

Be sure to post if you have any questions, myself and our other Breakroom members will definitely help out. Congratz on the move!

Last edited:
I don't work in receiving, but when I first started closing guest service I went back and talked to our receiving person. I knew she often complained about stupid stuff TMs did that made her job harder. She has especially had problems with guest service. I shared as much of what she told me with the other GS closers & she said it helped.

Your state liquor laws are available on Workbench, be sure to check those and go over them with your trainer and ETL. Also make sure you either build a really good relationship with the front-end team, or make them live in constant fear of you. Either way, they're bringing stuff back to trash your area every day, choice is yours: be on the same page and work as a team, or yell "BOO!" and watch them run.

Thank you everyone for the Congrats! Im very excited to learn a new area!

I've tried to start a few threads, nothing has really stuck so far. I moved from Backroom to Receiving and I really like it so much more; best part is my STL has my back on my receiving hours - between 6 and noon no one can ask me to do anything, I am a department of one and I make my own routine. Plus, weekends off? Receiving is pretty cool.

Best advice for training is bring a notebook and take notes. Receiving is a very detail-intensive job. Make sure you know the PRO and SCAC for Fedex, Fedex Ground, UPS, how to check all of those in, how to check in Starbucks orders, etc. There are lots of little details it is helpful to write down until you remember them.

Also, chances are your store will be different from the one you train in, be sure to go in aware of that. You'll learn a lot of things that will carry over directly but not necessarily the routine. My trainer's routine was totally different from the one I wound up working, but you'll need to lay one out for yourself. Do some recon at your own store and chat with your TL/ETL, as well as the training Receiver about putting together a routine.

Be sure to post if you have any questions, myself and our other Breakroom members will definitely help out. Congratz on the move!

Thank you! This is a whole new world to me so taking notes is a great idea lol. I guess I am pretty lucky I get to train in my store so hopefully(fingers crossed) I will have a better idea of what they expect from me.

I know there is alot to learn, some of our GSAs shuttered when I told them. They then explained it was a lot of little steps.

Good to hear you enjoy it!

Last edited:
I don't work in receiving, but when I first started closing guest service I went back and talked to our receiving person. I knew she often complained about stupid stuff TMs did that made her job harder. She has especially had problems with guest service. I shared as much of what she told me with the other GS closers & she said it helped.

Thank you. I will keep this in mind:)

Your state liquor laws are available on Workbench, be sure to check those and go over them with your trainer and ETL. Also make sure you either build a really good relationship with the front-end team, or make them live in constant fear of you. Either way, they're bringing stuff back to trash your area every day, choice is yours: be on the same page and work as a team, or yell "BOO!" and watch them run.

I will for sure go over the liquor laws with the ETL.

Lol The BOO method works for the recieving tm right now but Im not sure my personality will follow suit lol Lucky Ive been working in the trenches with the front end so I feel I have a good relationship with them. Guess we will find out lol

The receiving team member at my store is amazing..I'm the CTL and he keeps me in the loop as to what's going on with the vendors, so when I fill out the vendor scorecard I get the best info., he also keeps the vendors in line from bread and pop, liquor and snacks. He lets me know which vendors are getting heavy with back stock.Watch Nabisco,Keebler as they like to get heavy with orders. I call him the gate keeper,you control what comes in those doors....

Your liquor vendors will be your best friend...keep that in mind.
How is that? Of the 7 wine vendors I've dealt with there where three of them that were asinine, pushy and one sided. The others were ok but not ones I would consider a 'best friend'.

I hate to dig up an old thread, but it looks like I will be covering receiving from time to time. I've had minimal training. Basically none. I've kicked and screamed, and told multiple ETLs that I can't cover receiving because my training was insufficient for such a detail-intensive position. Maybe with some help, I can squeak by until I get some real training. SO for now my questions are:

1) What can I expect on a Sunday shift (I saw Monday-Friday on the guide, nothing for weekends)
2) Step by step, how do I check a vendor in?
3) What else do I need to be doing? The regular receiver is constantly working her butt off with something. I don't even know where to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back