Archived Goodwill

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I needed a couple more pairs of khakis and swung over to Goodwill to grab some. While I was there, I scored a Merona sweater, tag (and clearance sticker) still on it for a really good price.

But the biggest laugh? The Neiman Marcus sweater with the tags on it with a missed salvage sticker still on it!

Last edited:
You're lucky.
The Goodwill near us takes off the tags & marks things UP!
I remembered what the final markdown was & I was thinking "WTF?"

I don't know why I haven't started shopping at Goodwill yet? All my store's salvage goes there and there is absolutely nothing wrong with most of it. Even the defective salvage is just packaging damage a lot of the time.

A sad fact?
I run into SO many TMs there & at other thrift stores I frequent.

The past couple of weeks, we've been getting people in looking for kid's snow boots. Obviously they've gone salvage. Our Goodwill has a nice display of our snow boots ripe for the picking.

I see alot of stuff at goodwill with tags from Target all the time at goodwill. Guess what I also see at alot of times from Target? Big Lots has stuff from Target I went to a Ollie's market once and noticed a ton of target items and Ross and Gabriel Brothers tend to get Target things too. Makes me wonder why does Target give all the cheap stuff to these stores lol

You're lucky.
The Goodwill near us takes off the tags & marks things UP!
I remembered what the final markdown was & I was thinking "WTF?"

While Target makes a ton of money off of their own products, Goodwill is there to help people who don't have much. I would (and have) paid more for a Target sweater at Goodwill than the Target 70% off.

The difference is that Goodwill isn't putting all of its money into its pockets like Target does. Goodwill is there to help. Target's stuff goes there because it "looks good" and people can see that "Target cares".

Remember, Target is also giving 5% donations because it has to in order to be a Fortune 500 company. And all the money it donates to schools...can't forget that.

We see time and time again how Target makes itself look good to the public, but often doesn't give a hoot about their own team members.

I see alot of stuff at goodwill with tags from Target all the time at goodwill. Guess what I also see at alot of times from Target? Big Lots has stuff from Target I went to a Ollie's market once and noticed a ton of target items and Ross and Gabriel Brothers tend to get Target things too. Makes me wonder why does Target give all the cheap stuff to these stores lol

Because Target has to get rid of that crap since it's taking up valuable store space. Generally they wholesale it to these companies at a fraction of the price (not sure if it's current selling or just in bulk) so that they can walk away with some cash rather than nothing. Trust me, the company isn't just giving this stuff away, and even if it did it's gonna make sure it gets a tax deduction.

Goodwill also employs a lot of people in need, who are unable to find work elsewhere also. Like recovering addicts or people in poverty, etc.

I was from a work for benefits state, so we had to "volunteer" a certain number of hours a month for our food stamp benefits. I did my time at Goodwill. We sorted through all of the donations, even from target....the stuff they didn't put on the floor (unpackaged underwear, items with obvious markings) was sold to the next lower thrift store level for a price per pound. I believe my work at Goodwill helped me get the job at Target (for the tax benefits, yes, but I was almost out of the benefit window) because I could point to the fact that they would ASK for me to go out and work the floor most of my shifts. Sorting through that stuff in the back was way worse than ANY job I have done at Target, even when guests leave me biohazards at the fitting room.

Oh, and the CEO of Goodwill pockets a good portion of the sales. But, they also gave VERY good bonuses to the regular workers at the store I was working at at Christmas which stunk for us regular "volunteers" because they had good sales because of our help but we got bupkiss

A sad fact?

Why sad? I shop there...not because I have to, but because they have a lot of really nice stuff at a fraction of the price I'd pay at the "regular" store. I've gotten pants there from stores like Neiman Marcus (the REAL one, not the "NM for Target") and Nordstrom's with the tags still on them for <$5!!!! I've also found $200+ Coach purses that were in "like new" condition for around $20! Someone obviously decided to "clean out" their kids' closet because I found a horde of boys' Under Armour one time and snatched them all up for my youngest....he ended up with 4 Cold Gear shirts, 2 Heat Gear, & 3 regular t-shirts all for <$40 (and the "cold/heat gear" shirts looked like they had been worn 2-3 times, if that)!!!! If I had paid "retail" for these, they'd have cost me $250+!

A sad fact?

Why sad? I shop there...not because I have to, but because they have a lot of really nice stuff at a fraction of the price I'd pay at the "regular" store. I've gotten pants there from stores like Neiman Marcus (the REAL one, not the "NM for Target") and Nordstrom's with the tags still on them for <$5!!!! I've also found $200+ Coach purses that were in "like new" condition for around $20! Someone obviously decided to "clean out" their kids' closet because I found a horde of boys' Under Armour one time and snatched them all up for my youngest....he ended up with 4 Cold Gear shirts, 2 Heat Gear, & 3 regular t-shirts all for <$40 (and the "cold/heat gear" shirts looked like they had been worn 2-3 times, if that)!!!! If I had paid "retail" for these, they'd have cost me $250+!

wow!

my favorite thrift store find was when we donated a dress that one of my girls had outgrown (the other one doesn't wear dresses) that we had bought from Target for less than $2 and saw it on the floor the next week for $5.
Where I am from there was ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens) thrift stores....those stores really did start out as workshops for handicapped to learn a skill (fixing electric equipment like tv's) and the community to get great prices on refurbished items. Point to my long story is that Saturday was 1/2 off day...all but new tags (and high ticket items)were 1/2 off. We would go to the swankier part of town and get huge bags of name brand, new items for $40 or less. Helps when you can't afford the retail and your kids are still changing sizes. My youngest still laments that there aren't any around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back