Archived Got a question for you all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing a lot of grocery re-sets. Always used grocery carts to stick product in and move it. But now I'm told that I can't do that, due to some Federal Law stating that it's not legal to put food products in grocery carts (Yeah, that is what I've been told at my store).

Now this strikes me as absolute BS. DUH! our guests do that every damn day and that is pretty much why the carts are there. Not even to mention the kids in the cart.

So can you people set me straight on this? Are they serious?

Its because of cross-contamination (because chemicals are put in those carts. The company policy always been that tubs and flats are the tools that are suppose to be used because carts are for guests.

Also any backstock or pulls should be put in repack boxes unless its chemicals

I'm confused. My store puts everything in/on everything. What are the rules?

how is it cross contamination in shopping carts when an employee puts grocery or chemicals or anything in a cart but not when a guest puts all these items in carts daily

We put all back stock food in repacks on a black pallet. We would run out of three tiers if we didn't. Nothing else can go in that repack but food. Same as pet. We are always green when they come to inspect us.

We have always been told no food in carts also. However reshop at GS is in a cart including grocery and when TMs come up to get reshop to work out they put it in carts. I've always wondered why that is OK.

This reminds me of no food on the floor but they bowl grocery. That could be a time thing though. Sort of like temperature danger zone.

I have been told the same thing, 'no grocery items in a shopping cart' but it was never explained to me why. Was told to always use a three tier cart.

We put all back stock food in repacks on a black pallet. We would run out of three tiers if we didn't. Nothing else can go in that repack but food. Same as pet. We are always green when they come to inspect us.

I was told it was a Steritech violation, cross contamination cause like a shopping cart, you don't know what was in that box before you dropped food in there. Also I have seen repacks used monarched then left to rot and I do mean rot.. Now of course this only matters when Steritech comes through, however I don't want to be that idiot that leaves it like that for them to find. I just do what the Pfresh people tell me.

Right....no food in grocery carts. Kind of stupid really. Do these twats know how this food comes into the store on the trucks? Bleach boxes on top of pasta, detergent on top of mac and cheese and of course dog food and sugar shrink wrapped together on a pallet.

Right....no food in grocery carts. Kind of stupid really. Do these twats know how this food comes into the store on the trucks? Bleach boxes on top of pasta, detergent on top of mac and cheese and of course dog food and sugar shrink wrapped together on a pallet.

The dog food and sugar, ok.. But yeah the bleach on top of food that is a "eye rolling" picture.

We have always been told no food in carts also. However reshop at GS is in a cart including grocery and when TMs come up to get reshop to work out they put it in carts. I've always wondered why that is OK.

I always wondered this too. Why is it ok to put market re-shop in a shopping cart but not pulls or backstock? Though at my store, the only thing I've been told is that pulls and backstock for all areas aren't supposed to be in shopping carts in the backroom - only in logistics vehicles.

^^ I think part of the reason is that they don't want you to get in the habit of using shopping carts for food items, especially when it comes to backstock...shopping carts will break if you leave them in the freezer and it's probably not great to leave them in the coolers either.

If you MUST use boxes to backstock or you have a big transition coming up where you'll be moving a lot of loose product, tell your pFresh team to save you all the empty banana boxes. Those are approved for any food use/storage (just don't reuse them once you're done due to contamination) and you can use them for moving, storing, staging, etc. When we had our big pFresh transition last year, I think we saved about two pallets worth of boxes for them to use (and they did use them all!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back